These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

New tremolo or replacement block for Variax 700
by harmaes on 2012-11-24 03:54:16

Has anyone ever replaced the tremolo on the Variax 700, replaced the trem block (Zinc) to a steel block or replaced the piezo saddles with graphtech ghost saddles?

I have DiMarzio pickups in my 700 (HSS) but compared to my other guitars the zinc trem block results in lesser sustain and tone then the guitars I have with a steel block.

Would love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

Re: New tremolo or replacement block for Variax 700
by amx05462 on 2012-11-24 04:14:12

well i didnt  have   the tremelo  in  my 300 but   i did  put the graph tech pickups  in.  i found the  response to be  better.

wheni transplanted  it  for the second time   i added aftermarket tremelo  with a steel  block.   i didnt really find  much difference   in the  sustain  from the   hard  tail bridge.. if  thats   what your  asking  about..

by harmaes on 2012-11-24 04:27:41

The fact that a hard tail bridge and a floating trem with a steel block have comparable amount of sustain is a good thing IMO.

Normally a hard tail will have more sustain.

I'm focusing on improving the signal with normal pickups. What after market tremolo with steel block (and piezo's?) did you put it? And what will fit a 700?

by amx05462 on 2012-11-25 05:30:51

i dont remember the  name   of it   .it  was  inexpensive .  any one that will fit  a strat  with  the  same pivot pin spacing  will work.

in my case  it  was   mysecond transplant  into  an epiphone  dot  studio body..  that presented  alot   of problems   because   there  not  setup in any way to recieve  a fender  style  tremelo setup.CIMG2338.JPGCIMG2339.JPG

in this  case  i  chose  the  six  screw  old  style  mount  as i thought  i would  work  better  in my situation..

you can   probably see that this  was a much  more involved  project

as i remember   when buying   the  graphtech  pickups    i had  to get the   ones  for   import  strat  rather  than   us   made  strat.  so id  guess   that   if your  gonna  replace the  whole  trem  you  would have to go the same  route.  also the same  if your   just going to by the block.  i had a few   blocks form  ones that i had  changed  and   some  matched  up to the  hole  pattern and others  did  not  .

ive also seen  brass blocks  on the market  but  not  sure  if the steel  or the brass  would  ring  more

my other  thoughts  on this   the  tremelo plate  shouldnt  be  touching  the  body in any way  directly.    it  has  to properly float   or you loose  sustain.. also   the   pcb board  being  taped  to the  trem block  as  line  6  chose  to do    helps  to   deaden  vibration..

honestly  if  i wanted  more  sustain..   rather  than  go through all  the   block changing   and or trem  changing    having done  it  before.   i think id  opt  for a pedal.. much easier  way out  of this ..

by harmaes on 2012-11-25 05:37:18

Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

I've decided to sell the Variax 700. I have other guitars with normal pickups I favor over the 700 so I don't use it anymore. It's a shame to let it stand unused.

H

by amx05462 on 2012-11-25 05:51:35

honestly   it seems  there  more  trouble than there  worth  in the  long  run. seems  alot  of people  have  alot  of  problems  with them

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.