These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD 500 Through Roland KC 550
by Thefx191 on 2012-11-24 11:34:35

Hey I'm pretty new to this community so bear with me if i'm asking in the wrong spot but anyways here we go.  I recently decided to upgrade from the speaker I was playing through to a keyboard amp because I've seen a lot of positive comments about some of them here on the forums.  So I went down to my local store and I tried a yorkville 200kb 200 watt keyboard amp and I thought it sounded pretty good.  They had it on sale for 300$ instead of 760$ regular price.  Unfortunatly they didn't have a roland kc 550 so I could try and compare but I could still get it shipped in.  So my question is: would the sound quality be the same since that the yorkville is actually worth more new and they are both similar wattage and they both have 15" speakers? I'm still open to other suggestions if you have any.  Thanks

Re: Pod HD 500 Through Roland KC 550
by jws1982 on 2012-11-26 14:08:24

It'd be of similar quality, although no two speaker systems technically sound the same.  I'd say you made a good purchase.  Set up your tones to work well with the Yorkville, and you'll be good to go.  If you ended up getting the Roland later, you'd have to re-tweak your patches to sound best with that amp.

If you're wanting some suggestions, here's one:  I personally use a 12" powered PA speaker for my POD HD500 when I play live.  That way, when I play a gig somewhere where there's not enough monitor mixes, I just pipe a mix into my speaker and I'm good to go.  I've found I play a lot of gigs where there's only one monitor mix, which is usually set up for the lead vocalist.  This way, I just set up another aux send and feed it to my monitor.  If I know the place I'm playing has a good monitor setup, then I just leave my speaker at home.  I'm all about keeping my gear to a minimum these days.  Having to load in just a guitar or two and one POD / accessory bag is great, especially when I get to watch others bring in heads, cabs, guitars, effects, etc... just to get a couple of perfect tones that few, if anyone, in the audience notices anyway. 

by Thefx191 on 2012-11-26 20:41:46

Okay thanks, I think i'll go for the yorkville since i'm hard on cash anyways

by JTSC777 on 2012-11-26 21:30:20

After you break in the speaker on your Yorkie/Roland and use it for a while I would suggest upgrading the speaker to an Eminence Delta 15A. All inexpensive keyboard amps use low quality stock speakers that after a while will show deficiencies at any high volume.I have found them for 99 bucks or so and they are well worth it.I use a KC300 with an Eminence Delta 12A speaker and it kills! I can also run a monitor feed into it from the main mixer if I need to. Very Cool!

by Thefx191 on 2012-11-26 22:45:06

Ok thanks, i'll definitely check into that later

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.