These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Is there an alternative to the VDI 25' cable from Line 6
by TheLonz on 2012-11-24 18:38:42

I'm currently using a VDI 25' cable supplied by Line 6 during live performance. I am using a JTV-59 with a POD HD500 and find that the 25' length is excessive. Is there another product out there that will do the same job? Looking for a maximum length of 10-12 ft. Any suggestions?

Re: Is there an alternative to the VDI 25' cable from Line 6
by TheRealZap on 2012-11-24 19:00:36

any, cat5 ethernet cable would work...

you can buy "neutrik" ends and make your own...

but to my knowledge there is no other pre-made version of a VDI cable in other lengths

by snhirsch on 2012-11-25 07:54:13

On the same subject, I just picked up a 25' Line-6 branded VDI cable on Amazon Marketplace and am a bit disappointed in how stiff the cable is.  I thought the whole point of using the gen-u-ine product was to get something that would lay flat on stage and be easy to handle.

The cable I have is built with "Four Star Wire & Cable" 24-4 pair Cat 5E Instrument cable stock and Neutrik RJ-45 connectors.  Do I have an obsolete variety or is this the same cable stock used on current VDI cables? 

by phil_m on 2012-11-25 09:20:56

I think the whole point of the getting the Line 6 branded cable has more to do with the Neutrik ends than anything. There's all sorts of different Cat5e cables with different jackets and shielding out there, but I don't know of anyone else who sells them with the Neutrik connectors. The Line 6 cable is relatively stiff at first. I think it loosens up after a while, though.

by adessmith on 2012-11-25 12:05:06

I have been using the short cable that came with the variax workbench interface in my JTV package.
I've wanted to get one of the variax cables because the cat5 cable that came with workbench just doesnt flex well, and kinks easily.
Is it basically the same cable but longer with the neutrik connector on both ends?
If so, I'll probably pass. I dont really need a longer cable, and plugging the plain RJ45 end into my Pod X3L doesnt bother me much.

by snhirsch on 2012-11-25 12:36:01

adessmith wrote:

Is it basically the same cable but longer with the neutrik connector on both ends?

No.  The cable supplied with the USB interface "puck" is much thinner and more flexible.  I've seen one comment to the effect that the 25' cable gets more supple with use, so I'll just wait and see.

by davidb7170 on 2012-11-26 20:12:55

Found this: http://best-tronics.com/guitar-cable/ethercon/variax.aspx-- Price varies depending on length. I put in 10 feet, and it calculated $24.08. Don't know anything about the company, but there is apparently someone out there doing this...

I route my Line 6 25-foot VDI cable from my HD500 to the side, back to my tri-guitar stand, and it gives me a good length back to my guitar at the pedal without causing a foot tangle situation, but to each their own.

Dave

by snhirsch on 2012-11-27 05:00:48

What is the brand and model number printed on the cabling itself?  I'm concerned I may have bought an older item that's been sitting on the shelf for 8 years or so.

by dennisrford on 2012-11-27 08:26:19

Hope you don't my me asking a related question.

I'm using just a regular cat5 ethernet cable.

Does the official Line 6 cable perform any different, better, less noise, etc?

Thanks

by phil_m on 2012-11-27 08:48:44

The issue with using a regular Cat5 cable isn't noise or audio performance. The issue is that without the Neutrik ring to stabilize the connection into the guitar, you can end up damaging the RJ45 jack in the Variax. The little pins can get bent pretty easily. It's really not a matter of if but when. Perhaps if you're just using the VDI connection at home in front of your computer you'll be OK, but even then it can be damaged. If you look at the old Variax forums, you'll see a lot of people with damaged VDI jacks because of this very. Spending $30 on the Line 6 cable is well worth it if you're planning to use the VDI connection live.

by adessmith on 2012-11-27 09:26:53

Yeah, I was afraid a regular cat 5 cable would mess up the jack, so for now I am using the included workbench VDI cable.
It plugs into my X3L with the plain RJ45, makes a gradual bend to one side, then goes under the corner of the X3L so there isnt any movement or tugging at the cable.
The neutrik end goes into the guitar... I feel like this is a good temporary solution, until I can get the correct cable.

Its just a little short for me, and it doesnt lay flat and kinks too easily. I have a feeling too many sharp kinks will lead to broken conductors inside, so I'm trying to be easy with it for now.

I just want to know that the official VDI cable straigtens out easier without kinking and will lay flat.
I used to use a Monster 1/4 cable, and it was fairly rigid (It was more stiff than the cheaper cables I used in the past), but I got used to it. At least it would lay flat and straigten out.
The workbench cable is like a normal cat 5 cable with a neutrik connector on one end. It just doesnt work well under your feet!

by dennisrford on 2012-11-27 11:11:23

Thanks, Phil

by snhirsch on 2012-11-27 11:49:42

adessmith wrote:

I just want to know that the official VDI cable straigtens out easier without kinking and will lay flat.

I think the VDI cable goes to the other extreme in terms of resisting kinks.   At least when new (as mine is), you need to fight with it a bit to get it to lay in a reasonable manner.  It's closer to wrestling with a garden hose than a length of rope (not a great analogy, but the best I could think of at the moment).  But, in all fairness, when you have 4 twisted pairs of conductors, it's probably not easy to get something that behaves like a high-end 1/4" guitar cord.

We'll have to see how it works out on stage.

by gtrman100 on 2012-11-27 13:29:39

I've had one of these cables for 4 years- it's an excellent cable and a cheaper alternative to the Line 6 branded one. It is on the stiff side, but I've abused it at gigs over the years and it's never failed.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.