These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD 300
by csr1 on 2012-11-25 02:40:51

Two Questions:  I bought a Spider 75 almost 2 years ago and I'm very happy with it, great tones.  Three weeks ago  I bought my new POD HD 300 for cleaner and quicker home recording when quiet mic'ing isn't possible, and also because I maybe playing soon in a setting in which amps aren't used and everybody goes direct into the mixer. Question #1, is there any easy way possible through Line 6 Monkey or any other way to copy or re-create into my HD 300 some of the tones that I've created in my Spider 75?   Would I have to pull up my HD 300 Edit and my Spider 75 Edit side by side on my computer screen and compare the amps, cabs, and effects and then manually create them on the hd 300...is that even possible?

Question #2  In addition to the studio/line setting on my hd 300, how and what settings or patches should I have my Spider 75 set to if I want to use it as a cabinet/monitor when connected to my hd 300?  I know that the switch on the hd 300 should be set to line if connecting it to an amp/combo amp? Should I turn on the manual switch on the Spider 75?

Thank you for any help or advice that I can get on this.

Re: POD HD 300
by PremiumJones on 2012-11-25 18:31:12

Answer #1 - Youll have to sit there with the Edits open and try to recreate them.

Answer #2 - The Spider 75 has no FX loop, so you dont want to use Line. Line is for going straight to a power amp or Line level FX return, which you arent doing. You are plugging into the front end of the Spider, so you need the Amp setting.

Then you need to start with the Output Mode switch on the back set to "Live" and then in the Setup menu, set the Live output sheme to ComboFrt

You will likely want to use Preamp models rather than full, with no cab or mic.

Experiment with all these settings though, you may find that full models with Live Output set to StackAmp is the best. Or preamps only, but using Studio/Direct Output Mode might be good, or whatever, Mess with it some.

Finally, you should realize that using the POD HD this way is far from ideal. You will most likely not be happy with any tones you get using the POD into the front of any guitar amp. Unless you can bypass the amp modelling in the Spider (which I am not sure of) you are always going to be putting a pre-amped, tone shaped signal into another preamp, which is going to make it sound different. That could be a good difference in some cases, but it is almost always bad.

Ideally, you'd want to use the POD in one of three setups:

1. Into the FX return or Power Amp In on a combo amp or head connected to a cabinet.

2. Connected directly to a dedicated power amp running a cabinet

3. Using Full models, Studio Direct mode, into a PA or other FRFR setup.

Assuming you only want to use it as a monitor for live situations where you are going through the PA, you'd probably wanna use Dual output mode, sending the Studio/Direct side to the PA and the Live side to the amp... it still wont sound good, but you can at least hear what you are playing that way.

by csr1 on 2012-11-26 12:38:22

PremiumJones,

THANK YOU for the reply and help, all of your answers make sense totally.  There are only maybe five patches that I would actually like to re-create exactly from my Spider 75 into my hd 300.  With both the Spider 75 Edit and the HD 300 Edit on the screen I'll make that happen.  As for running the HD 300 through the Spider, I was only wanting to do it in order to get an idea of what the sound will be going into a house mixer, which is half of the reason that I bought it, along with it being my primary guitar sound in my home studio.  Also I wanted to give my ears a rest from my headphones    For performing I'll be using an Aviom in-ear monitoring system along with the rest of the band, definitely not needing to use the dual output from the HD 300 with the Spider. Thank you again for your reply and helpful information.

PremiumJones wrote:

Answer #1 - Youll have to sit there with the Edits open and try to recreate them.

Answer #2 - The Spider 75 has no FX loop, so you dont want to use Line. Line is for going straight to a power amp or Line level FX return, which you arent doing. You are plugging into the front end of the Spider, so you need the Amp setting.

Then you need to start with the Output Mode switch on the back set to "Live" and then in the Setup menu, set the Live output sheme to ComboFrt

You will likely want to use Preamp models rather than full, with no cab or mic.

Experiment with all these settings though, you may find that full models with Live Output set to StackAmp is the best. Or preamps only, but using Studio/Direct Output Mode might be good, or whatever, Mess with it some.

Finally, you should realize that using the POD HD this way is far from ideal. You will most likely not be happy with any tones you get using the POD into the front of any guitar amp. Unless you can bypass the amp modelling in the Spider (which I am not sure of) you are always going to be putting a pre-amped, tone shaped signal into another preamp, which is going to make it sound different. That could be a good difference in some cases, but it is almost always bad.

Ideally, you'd want to use the POD in one of three setups:

1. Into the FX return or Power Amp In on a combo amp or head connected to a cabinet.

2. Connected directly to a dedicated power amp running a cabinet

3. Using Full models, Studio Direct mode, into a PA or other FRFR setup.

Assuming you only want to use it as a monitor for live situations where you are going through the PA, you'd probably wanna use Dual output mode, sending the Studio/Direct side to the PA and the Live side to the amp... it still wont sound good, but you can at least hear what you are playing that way.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-11-26 17:18:01

Depending on which spider... check out the use of the MP3 input and the Tap Key bypass in the post here ----> http://line6.com/support/message/349618#349618">http://line6.com/support/message/349618#349618">http://line6.com/support/message/349618#349618

by PremiumJones on 2012-11-26 20:26:41

Dude! that is genius if it works. Never thought about it TBH, bhut that would be essentially the same as plugging into an FX return.

Awesome idea mang.

by Tyrrellr on 2012-11-27 00:16:09

Hmmm....my HD 300 suddenly won't boot up. Get a message that says "DSP boot failed" then screen just goes blank. I had installed latest software updates. Could be something to do with that? What now??

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.