These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD 500 Buyer Questions
by mastodon420 on 2012-11-26 18:18:04

I am looking into Line 6 multi-effect pedals. I am very interested in the HD500, but I have a few nagging questions. First, bass modulators. Does it have one? If not, are they easy to make? Next, acoustic modulators. Same questions. Can I play in it with a bass with no issue? Can I plug it into a bass amp without any problems? With regards to the looper, what is meant by 48 seconds? is it like 3 loops, 48 seconds each, or is it 3 loops 16 seconds each? I think that's all for now

Re: POD HD 500 Buyer Questions
by johnpicton on 2012-11-27 00:32:05

I think the simple answer to the bass/acoustic (and vocals - not that you ask about them) is that the HD500 is not specifically designed for them but will work with them. In a recent update there was the addition of a Bass amp. Acoustic and vocals work very well. Fact is the HD is really designed for people wanting an our and out electric guitar multi effects unit, but as I said it will work well with other kit.

There are a number of Bass tones available on custome tone (at the top of this page). You can also go to the downloads section and download copies of the manual and the model gallery for the HD500 which will give you a good idea of what is available.

Also if you type HD500 Bass into youtube there are a number of videos showing the bass through the HD500

As for the looper - it is 48 seconds. You can overdub to your hearts content.

If you go ahead with your purchase (and it is worth it IMHO) the first thing you should do is to update the firmware using your computer, this will give you the bass amp.

by CairnsFella on 2012-12-07 19:16:01

I am often confused by the terminology used regarding bass usage. Call me picky (and I guess you will) but I think rather than not being designed 'specifically' for bass, it may be more appropriate to suggest not 'primarily' for bass.

I only say this because other units have literally no bass provision, yet sometimes bassists still use them. In my view the HD has more provision than something that does not provide for bass at all, so I'd be less inclined to use terms that would put potential users off, as I find the HD an excellent bass processor.

Furthermore the OP seemed to be more focused upon the FX capabilities. My research (and my findings) suggest that the majority of FX are quite usable with the bass, and there do not appear to any compromises regarding the frequencies processed (maybe with the exception of a few FX that you probably wouldnt want to use for bass anyway).

by ciadude2 on 2012-12-08 21:58:58

Bass works pretty well, and if you dime it right you can get a good acoustic sound. I ran my electric-acoustic into a Zoom 504II, then that into the HD500 and it sounded like I was recording an acoustic guitar with a microphone. Neat stuff.

There's also the option of using a vintage preamp inside of the HD500 without the amp models that I've heard sounds good with that sort of thing.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.