These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

Has anyone else noticed this about the Danelectro 3021 pickups in Workbench?
by Sonny1096 on 2012-11-26 18:46:02

To start off, the Danelectro model is a great one to mess around with.  I like the sound... similar to tele territory, and yet has its own distinct flavor.  I have presets for all of the different pickup settings, instead of just the default neck+bridge one. 

There are some issues I have found, and I did a search but didn't come up with any other discussions about the following:

First of all, the default bank seems to have been set up with bridge pickups in BOTH positions.  I initially wondered if that was some type of modification commonly done to the actual guitar, but a search turned up nothing of the sort.  So, I changed it and put a bridge pickup in the bridge position.  You do get a slightly different sound, and I'm wondering if this was at all intentional, or just an oversight on the part of the programmers? 

The second issue is one I discovered while looking up pictures of the actual 3021/DC59 guitars.  They have very obviously angled pickups.  There is a good picture here: http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/danelectro-59-original-93815.jpg

Arough estimate of the angle by measuring off photos is approximately 7 degrees.  Has anyone else gone in and added this angle to their Dano pickups?  I have to admit, the sound difference is minimal, but if we are going for authentic emulation here... then why leave something like that out?

Anyway, like I said, it's a great model to have included, and I am interested in making the most of it.  By the way, another great modification to do in Workbench is to run the neck+bridge pickups in series.  I have presets for both series and parallel on this one.

Re: Has anyone else noticed this about the Danelectro 3021 pickups in Workbench?
by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-11-28 16:41:39

I have to admit I haven't noticed that about the pick-up - I will have a look. Nice to see another Danelectro model fan. I've never had a Danelctro but I love this model. I really like it with the Gibtone amp model on the POD HD too.

The angle thing, well I'm betting you can't reeally hear any difference but you may as well add it yourself.

Could you post your presets? I'd be interested as I haven't messed with this model for a while.

Re: Has anyone else noticed this about the Danelectro 3021 pickups in Workbench?
by amx05462 on 2012-11-30 15:01:10

as i recall the danelectro  in the vax  was  close  to the   real thing.  based  on the one  i owned.  later  on  i owned a dc3.  which  had a third pickup  at the same angle  as the other  two  witha  5  or 6  position  rotary switch   giving  i  a much greater  range  of  sounds.  you may want to try to  acomplish that  .   i was  much  happier  withthe  sounds  i got  out  of the  dc 3  ..

by Sonny1096 on 2012-12-01 17:52:24

Yes, adding presets to simulate three pickups is on my to-do list. I've already done it using the strat body. Coincidentally, Fender currently has a special run of "lipstick strats." The only position we can't get on the Variax from the DC-3 is all three pickups at the same time.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.