These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD 500 PRO MIDI, changing channels on my amp
by getwidth on 2012-11-28 16:07:22

Hello all.  A ton of information in the forum and great stuff.

What I want to do

I want to press button A on my MKII shortboard and change to the preset, AND change the channel on my amp with a MIDI command.

Problem

If I understand the manuals correctly you can't do a MIDI CC send if buttons FBV FS5-FS8 (ABCD) are set in ABCD mode.  This means that I cannot have the shortboard send a CC message of my choice to my amp.  In order for button A (FS5) to send a MIDI CC message of my choice I have to put the ABCD buttons in the "FS 5-8" mode.  Then this would mean that pressing button A would not change the patch.

Question

Hopefully I am just missing something, and I have tried for a bit to get it to do what I want.  Is there a way to have buttons ABCD both:

1. Transmit a patch change to the HD Pro 500
  2. Transmit a custom CC MIDI message to my amp to change the channel

Please tell me it is possible.

Re: HD 500 PRO MIDI, changing channels on my amp
by getwidth on 2012-11-29 11:59:56

For what it is worth, here is how I got it to work like I want.

To change my amp channel and my preset at the same time

To start with, I have a Voodoo Labs Control Switcher.  I have used this to midi control my amps before.  Instead of doing it the way that I thought I needed to, I was able to program my voodoo labs to respond to the default program changes that the Line 6 sends when it changes presets.

So now when I hit Button A the HD Pod Pro switch to 01A, sends a program change via MIDI, and my Voodoo labs control switcher changes my amp via 1/4 inch cable to channel 1 (clean)

So now when I hit Button B the HD Pod Pro switch to 01B, sends a program change via MIDI, and my Voodoo labs control switcher changes my amp via 1/4 inch cable to channel 2 (mild distortion)

So now when I hit Button C the HD Pod Pro switch to 01C, sends a program change via MIDI, and my Voodoo labs control switcher changes my amp via 1/4 inch cable to channel 2 (mild distortion)

So now when I hit Button C the HD Pod Pro switch to 01D, sends a program change via MIDI, and my Voodoo labs control switcher changes my amp via 1/4 inch cable to channel 3 (mild distortion)

If you are looking to change your amp channel along with a preset at the same time, this is one way to do it.

by dbagchee on 2012-11-30 19:09:13

This is good stuff. I'll be helping my guitar player hookup the HD to his Carvin via midi and will hopefully have similar success!

by getwidth on 2012-12-03 08:51:48

Hopefully you have less problems than anything that I have ever tried to do with getting a 4CM and MIDI system working right.

I am just about to give up on anything working like i think it should with the 4CM.  With all of the level controls needing to be exact, then having excess noise and just appearing like the 4CM doesn't let the amp give a true representation of what the amp is suppose to sound like.  Etc.

Anyhoo, how is he/you going to hook the POD to the Carvin?

by dbagchee on 2012-12-03 10:46:41

Planning to do 4CM with midi out to the amp. The Carvin can "save" a mapping with whatever the current program change is so we'll set it up similar to you where channel a will get saved with the desired amp channel active.

by getwidth on 2012-12-03 10:48:31

Cool.  Let me know how it goes and maybe what trouble you had with the 4CM.

I am thinking about making a video of all the junk that I had to go through and why I decided to scrap or keep the 4CM.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-03 12:19:45

if you can get all the levels right in all the right places then 4CM can be quite transparent.   I can just detect it in my setup when I switch it out (a slight EQ change) but it is so minor that I can barely tell. 

The one gotcha that comes up frequently with 4CM is ground loops between the Input and the FX Loop via the Pod.  This can cause all kinds of hum and noise  when using a high gain amp and is sometimes audible on lower gain channels too.  You can usually fix it either with an Isolating transformer of some kind or by  disconnecting the earth connection from one or more cables.  More details can be found in the doc here if needed --> http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522

">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2522

by getwidth on 2012-12-03 12:26:54

I'll check it out.  I also am just watching Glenn DeLaune's guide although he is using a Boss GT-10.  Concept is the same.  He said he gave up 3 times.

I do have a couple of the Hum eliminators, so that is probably what you are talking about hey?  Or one of the things for what you are talking about.

by getwidth on 2012-12-03 12:30:11

I just checked your link, I did find that and setup my patches based on your article.  I have yet to go through word by word and try and adjust everytyhing via your article.

Its on my to do list too, for doing that.

Thanks for the encouragment and knowing that someone is able to get it right.  I think that when anyone is first learning about it they should know right up front that it can be VERY VERY frustrating to get it right.  I have been working on it for at least 6 months.  I had the TC Electronics G system and tried for months with that, getting a Sunday Driver buffer and the hum eliminators, Laird's white paper, etc and on and on.  I sold it, although I have it back now.  Want a G System?  Ha.

Then I thought I would try the POD HD for the 4CM and I have better results but just need to spend some hours on it refining my levels.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-03 15:52:46

Yep the (Ebtech) Hum Eliminators are the thing.  I needed to break the ground on both of my loop cables to get my setup working so use both channels.

I have tried to make the guide as generic as I can but I reckon every amp is gonna have a couple of foibles with it.  I heard about the issue with the input buffering on the GSystem .... really not very impressive.,  Neither was the tactic to release a new version of the GSystem with a decent input buffer advertised as a 'feature' not a fix.  I know some people get good results with them though.

Which Carvin?

by getwidth on 2012-12-03 20:27:19

Indeed, I was very disappointed at the G system.  I really loved the pedal and the control of it though.  Built tough and great looking, but no matter what I tried I just couldn't get from sucking my distortion dry.  Especially for a 1500.00 price tag.

I just got home from all day of working, taking care of family, etc.  I want to try more on my POD setup but I am just so tired.  Ha.  I had a sound gig on Sat night that I am still trying to recover from.  One of these days I'll be able to see if I can get it working good.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.