These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD Desktop loud buzz
by christostsakalis on 2012-11-29 00:47:52

Hi

I have bought a new POD HD desktop about 2 weeks now and I use it with the fbv shortboard mkii.

Yesterday while I was palying, shuddently the guitar signal stops and a very loud buzz appeared, coming from the pod.

The volume from the fbv it was dead but the pod still working.I was changing channels from a to b etc but the the buzz was there.

I shut down the master volume of pod with no luck, the buzz still there.

Last I restart the pod, by unplugged the power supply and put it again, and everything was ok.I play about 1 hour with no problem.

Any idea what is this?

This is a disaster If happen to a gig.

Kind Regards

Chris Tsakalis

Re: Pod HD Desktop loud buzz
by Octo777 on 2012-11-29 01:06:59

I am sure you have already updated the device with the latest firmware, if not, you should do so right away.

If I remember rightly, there are several instances where this could happen (though someone chime in and correct me if I am wrong) and those are more likely changing patches via the device while connected via USB with the HD Edit Program open or a patch that has become corrupted either through mixing patches created with an old firmware version on a device with a newer version (or vice versa I suppose) or the corruption of a patch from downloading from Customtone.

If this happened when you were playing/changing patches while connected to the HD Edit program, then I would theorise this is most likely what caused the problem and the most obvious solution is to not play with HD Edit open.

If not, but you have in fact been using downloaded patches from CustomTone or elsewhere, then playing with the same patch under similar circumstances could cause the issue to happen again.

Of course could well be a combination of the two instances! Haha.

I've only had this happen once and it was while helping diagnose a corrupted patch for another user on here and the simple solution is to delete the coruppted patch and build it again from scratch.

If neither of these situations are relevant, then I am really not sure what might have cause the issue.

Hope this might help in some way.

Cheers

by christostsakalis on 2012-11-29 02:05:50

Thanks a lot for your quick respond

I was at a rehearsal so no connect it to pc.

All the pacthes are made from me not are downloaded.

This happend while playing in one patch and not while changing from one patch to another.

I don't know what happened but I m very suspicious.

This is my main rig for gigs and made me upset.

Thanks again anyway.

Chris Tsakalis

by Octo777 on 2012-11-29 02:07:34

Just to clarify, you are using the latest firmware, yes?

by christostsakalis on 2012-11-29 02:21:38

Yes I have update with the newest firmware.Everything is up to date.

sorry that I didn't mettion it before

I'm many many years a Line6 user, from pod2 through pod hd but this is my first time I have issues like this.

by hurghanico on 2012-11-29 02:56:33

try a global reset and see if it solves the problem

1 - backup your patches

2 - global reset: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2222

3 - pedal calibration: http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

4 - reload your patches

by silverhead on 2012-11-29 05:38:19

christostsakalis wrote:

Last I restart the pod, by unplugged the power supply and put it again, and everything was ok.I play about 1 hour with no problem.

Are you still experiencing the problem, or are things OK now? I know you would like to understand what happened, but if things are OK now I would try to forget it until/unless it happens again. It's hard to identify a problem while it's working properly.

by christostsakalis on 2012-11-29 05:53:20

No right now it is working fine, but I dont want to happen when I gig!!!!!

So thats why I'm asking if someone else had the same problem and if there is a solution.

Regards

Chris Tsakalis

by silverhead on 2012-11-29 06:02:04

Since it was a one-time thing it is very difficult to pinpoint the problem. I know this is not a general problem with the HD series - at least I haven't seen a lot of reports like this. So I would assume that it was just a weird something with your hardware and electrical environment at that moment. I don't think there's any specific reason to suspect the HD device as the problem as opposed to any other piece of hardware, or electrical supply. Perhaps there was a power surge in your rehearsal room? Maybe there's an intermittent problem with the wiring in your guitar? Maybe a bad cable somewhere?

Any one of those things, and many other possibilities, could explain the symptom. As soon as the electrical circuit was broken and restored, as it was when you unplugged/reconnected the HD, the problem disappeared. It might have disappeared if you disconnected/reconnected your guitar cable - who knows?

If you can't reproduce the problem, and there is currently no problem, I would try to forget it. Or, I would open the investigation to every piece of equipment in the room at the time.

by hurghanico on 2012-11-29 07:58:33

christostsakalis ha scritto:

I shut down the master volume of pod with no luck, the buzz still there.

silverhead is right, if the buzz was still there with the HD master volume turned down, it is likely that the cause is to be found externally to the pod, from the output cables onward

by Triryche on 2012-11-29 08:10:39

Might have been a cable with and intermittent break or short going to your amp (or whatever your monitoring with).

But when there was the dreaded squeal problem related to corrupt data, the Master did nothing (found out the hard way with cans direct to the Bean!!)

After that I connected my headphones to the mixer and treaded very slowly in Edit.

by hurghanico on 2012-11-29 08:41:00

Triryche ha scritto:

But when there was the dreaded squeal problem related to corrupt data, the Master did nothing (found out the hard way with cans direct to the Bean!!)

interesting
evidently also the master volume control is digital

by Triryche on 2012-11-29 09:19:57

yeah, my knee jerk reaction was to kill the master, then a split second later I whipped off the cans, at least that's how a remeber it.

by christostsakalis on 2012-12-13 01:41:30

Hi again

Unfortunetely yesterday when I was rehearsing with my band,  this wired noiz comes up again sudently.While this noiz presents there is no guitar signal

I was recording the rehearsal so maybe today, I will upload the file to hear excactly the problem.

When the problem comes up I did the folowings:

1.I turned off the master volume of pod HD from the fbv mkii (the sound dissapeared after 2-3 seconds) but when I turned on again the noiz was there.

2.I turned off the volume of my guitar whith excactly the same syptoms as above.

3.Finaly I switched to another pacth from the fbv, a very big pop sounded and the problem disapeared!!!!!!!!!!

After this the HD was working fine again.

The rig I use is Guitar -> Pod HD with FBV Shortboard MKII -> left out of HD to Fx Return Of Laney TT 50watt Head.

I use the same guitar & amp for 8 years with Pod XT & Pod X3 with no problems at all.

So I will ask again what will happend if this problem appears at my gigs?I'm very scaring only with the thought of it.......

I will upload the file asap.

Regards

Chris Tsakalis

by silverhead on 2012-12-13 08:31:58

I suspect you have a corrupt preset that is causing this problem. Try recreating this preset from scratch (do not copy/edit it). Replace it with a New Tone (empty) preset and rebuild it. You may need to manually copy down the preset details in order to rebuild it - do this with your volumes down.

by christostsakalis on 2012-12-13 23:32:06

Hi

This is very strange........!!!!?????

Why should be corrupted patches??????????

How could a patch be corrupted and how can I understand that a patch is corrupted at the first time?????????

You should have a warning telling  that this patch may be corrupted and not waiting for the problem while playing........... too disapointing

All my patches are made from zero at new blank patches without connection to PC (HD Edit) and all of my patches are simple without dual tones and strange routings.

all the effects & amp are in one row.

Actually I have never made a patch with HD Edit.

Bellow is the link presenting the problem

As you will hear there is a drum stick counting and suddenly a loud buzz noiz appears from my amp.

Imediatelly I turned off the volume pedal and this noiz disapeared after 2 secs.I turned on the volume again and the noiz still there (2nd buzz at the file).

After I turned off the guitar volume with the same response, noiz disapeared after 2 secs.

At the end I change to another patch from the FBV and a big and loud pop came from the amp resolving the problem from Pod.

Imagine that I'm giging and sudently this bzz-noiz came out and I have to resolve this on stage......

Propably I will explode the PA system and all the audience will be def f!!!! 

Here is it

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50200172/Pod%20HD%20Problem/Pod%20HD%20Problem.mp3

Please tell me what is the problem, I have to return the item? Is the power suply fail?

Regards

Chris Tsakalis

by hurghanico on 2012-12-14 02:37:39

it sounds very bad!

probably you have a defective unit!

if I were you, I'd return the item and ask the shopkeeper to change it with another new... and if not possible, ask him to give you the money back..

Tell him that you have to play at gigs, you have no time to waste, and you need a reliable unit soon!

by stevem48048 on 2012-12-15 23:25:28

christostsakalis, I had the exact same thing happen to me as well about a month and a half ago. The only difference is i had my PODHD Bean,

connected to my LINE 6 HD147 300 Watt stack when it happened and it about blew my face back ! No ! for real . Anyway, I wasn't in the middle

of changing patches. I've got all brand new MONSTER cables, + All secured connections and this happened to me. It hasn't done it since.

Thank God because this Black Bean is my Holy Grail. Now, I try to just use it "PODHD Bean" for recording, And just run my guitar str8 into

the HD147 and everything is fine. Sorry i have no technical answer for ya bro , But just putting it out there that i had the same issue.

Note: This did happen to me BEFORE i updated to the 2.10 Version...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.