These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Nasty crackling feedback when recording in Logic Pro 9 with POD X3?
by thisjanuary on 2012-11-29 10:45:43

Plugged my POD X3 (bean, latest drivers, just updated today) in via USB and am trying to record into Logic Pro 9. I have my POD X3's Left and Right outputs plugged into a Focusrite Saffire PRO 14, which my speakers are connected to, and I've got Logic using the POD for Input, and the Saffire for Output.

Created two tracks in Logic, one Input 1 (which is the wet sound from the POD's on-board effects), and one Input 7 (which seems to be the dry input).. getting this nasty buzz on both tracks. Here's an example – what's going on with it?

Re: Nasty crackling feedback when recording in Logic Pro 9 with POD X3?
by Triryche on 2012-11-29 11:34:06

If you are running the POD's analog L&R into the Saffire, then you should also select the Saffire as your recording device in Logic. In that scenario the only thing you would need the USB for is to Edit the POD via Gearbox.

by thisjanuary on 2012-11-30 00:23:01

If I do that, I can't simultaneously record the wet and dry sounds. I want do the processing on the POD, not in POD Farm, but I also want the dry audio recorded. If I use the Saffire, I don't think that's possible.

Also.. your comment didn't really answer my question.

by silverhead on 2012-11-30 05:57:38

The Pod X3 ASIO uses an ASIO driver. The definition/implementation of the ASIO protocol requires that the same device be used for both audio input and output. You can record both wet and dry signals simultaneously in Logic Pro using just the X3 - not your Saffire. Set it up as follows:

- connect the X3 to your computer using USB

- connect your speakers/monitors to the X3 outputs

- configure Logic Pro to use the X3 and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device

- arm two tracks for recording

- select different Input Source feeds for the two tracks. For the dry track, select X3 Input Source 7 (Tone 1) or 8 (Tone 2); for the wet track select the desiredX3- processed signal (1,2 for the stereo mix; 3,4 for Tone 1; 5,6 for Tone 2)

by Triryche on 2012-11-30 06:16:56

Also.. your comment didn't really answer my question.

To answer your question, the configuration you stated creates a conflict with the audio bit stream.

My apologies for not answering the question, guess I just jumped directly to tyring to help you find a workable solution.

btw, are you running a pc or Mac?

by Metal_Jimmy on 2012-11-30 20:17:00

im getting the same problem! at first i thought it was cause of my gain levels but even with everything turned low all i was getting was this weird noise. then i thought it was something with my guitar jack so i tried a differient one and same result...

by thisjanuary on 2012-12-07 03:14:42

I couldn't very well be using Logic on a PC, could I? I'm running an iMac, plenty of RAM and an SSD, so no speed issues to cause the crackling.

silverhead, I'd really prefer not to have to move my monitors every time I want to record with the POD. Presumably if I'm running the POD on OS X, it's using CoreAudio rather than ASIO anyway, since Macs don't support ASIO? CoreAudio does support using a separate input and output device, so I don't see any reason I shouldn't be able to set up with the guitar into the POD, into Logic, and outputted via the Saffire / monitors.

If I'm missing something, let me know. What's the process to get some help from L6 directly? These forums are great and all, and I appreciate the help, but I always found relying on your users to provide your customer support for free was a little misgiving.

by Triryche on 2012-12-07 05:22:10

Can you run Logic on a PC? Yes. Is it practical, probably not.

If you have a mixer you would not need to switch back and forth. I have 4 interfaces into one mixer and my monitors are connected to the mixer.

Your are correct, there is no ASIO in the Mac world, it is CoreAudio. If you are using Mountain Lion, it might just be the drivers, since Mountain Lion some (not all) Mac users are having driver issues. Line6 is currently working on this.

You can contact Line6 directly via a support ticket or phone:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="text">

Line 6 - North America

Line 6, Inc.
26580  Agoura Road
Calabasas, CA 91302-1921

Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600
Main Fax#: (818) 575-3601

Customer Service hours are 8am - 5pm M-F Pacific Time
Press option 3 for Customer Service
Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

Line 6 - Europe

Line 6, Inc.
The POD
Clifton House
Butler's Leap
Rugby, Warwickshire
United Kingdom, CV21 3RQ

Telefone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566
Fax: +44 (0) 1788 566 529

Technical Support: +44 (0) 1788 566 555, Mon-Thurs 9am – 5pm GMT and Fri 9am – 4pm GMT

by Rblay2k on 2012-12-23 03:51:43

This is a temporary fix I used... http://youtu.be/EsYAyVF_V6M

Hopefully">http://youtu.be/EsYAyVF_V6M">http://youtu.be/EsYAyVF_V6M

Hopefullythis helps?

Bob

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.