These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Flextone I / II / III / Duoverb / HD147

Flextone II HD static & buzzing after cleaning pots & new battery
by drraven on 2012-11-29 20:21:25

Picked up a Flextone II HD amp earlier this week and I was told by the seller that when he last used it several months ago it would work for a while, sometimes an hour or more, and then it would power off. So he put it away to collect dust. I tried the amp before buying it and it worked and sounded fine for the 10 mins I tried it. I then took it home and played it a couple of times, both for about 30 mins with no problems, but I noticed it wasn't holding any of the patches. So I did some research and replaced the CR2430 coin battery (the orig battery measured 0.00V). This procedure requires removing a large metal cover over the electronics and several screws, so I figured while I was inside the amp I should spray electrical contact cleaner into all of the pots. I was very careful not to touch anything else or move anything. I then carefully reassembled the amp and now when it powers on I get a constant static & buzzing sound that pulses in time with the tempo button setting. I can turn the Master volume off and the buzz/static stays the same volume. If I turn the Master volume up and play my guitar I hear my guitar signal and it sounds normal except for the static/buzz in the background. Not sure why spraying the pots and changing the battery would have caused this, but has anyone else run into this problem? Thanks.

Andy

Re: Flextone II HD static & buzzing after cleaning pots & new battery
by TheRealZap on 2012-11-30 07:13:56

Perhaps you got some cleaner on other circuits? might need to dry out or clean up? just an idea... i certainly don't think that changing the battery would have cause the issue.

Re: Flextone II HD static & buzzing after cleaning pots & new battery
by drraven on 2012-11-30 11:11:05

Hey TRZ, thanks for responding. The Save function now works properly so the new battery definitely solved the orig problem but I don't think the battery has caused this new issue either, and I was pretty careful to spray the contact cleaner only into the holes on each pot though some of them were pretty buried. But something else happened last night. Using a little old school TV troubleshooting 101 technique, I worked a little more with the amp, and with the static/buzzing sound going on I gave the amp head cabinet a light rap with the bottom of my fist to see if it was a loose connection causing the noise and sure enough, as I moved along the top of the amp from right to left (facing the amp) the static/buzzing began to fade until it was completely gone. If I continued tapping, this time moving back to the right side of the amp, the static/buzzing started to come back. I then rapped directly over the left-hand top corner and the sound disappeared again. I then remembered that when I was inside the amp earlier to change the battery, I had noticed the input jack (which is directly below where I was rapping when the sound vanished) was not quite horizontal so I loosened the plastic nut and gently twisted it around, only a degree or two so the PCB was horizontal, and then tightened the plastic nut back down being careful not to over-tighten. I suspect in doing so I may have pulled on a wire without knowing or tightened the jack too much??? Not sure, but I am going to open it back up and check it this weekend.

Andy

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.