These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Layered delays
by poit57 on 2012-12-01 05:14:27

About 4 years ago, I purchased a used Flextone III Plus. I really liked the amp, but I didn't play much guitar at the time as I am a bass player. Because I didn't have much experience tweaking effects to begin with, I found setting up any sounds I liked to be a bit overwhelming. I ended up selling that amp because I wasn't getting much use out of it. In the last year or so, I've started playing a little more guitar and recording some of my own music, so I purchased several low-end effects pedals to play around with. I am now in the market to upgrade my amp, but most of the ones I'm interested in have built-in effects. If I'm going to use an amp like that, I would want it to replace all my effects that I currently use.

Part of my effects chain consists of layered delay pedals - one set to triplets and one set to 1/8 notes. Their tempo is synched by connecting a footswitch with a Y-splitter to each delay. Because I am somewhat familiar with Line 6 Monkey, I think the Spider IV 75 would work best for me, but I was wondering if I would be able to mimic the layered delay pedals using the editing software. If not, would any other Line 6 amps offer this, or do they all strictly limit a single delay setting per preset?

I suppose if the amp doesn't offer this that I could continue to use my current delays, but there are a couple drawbacks to that. (1) I wouldn't want to have to use any other pedals if I have an FBV controller to do everything else. (2) The delay pedals I have do not offer true bypass, so even if they are not engaged, they kill the volume level of my guitar. I have to use a booster to offset this issue and that muddies up my tone a little.

Re: Layered delays
by fflbrgst on 2012-12-03 07:45:37

The Spider amps only have a single delay effect.  I woudl assume you use the delays at the end of your signal chain (after distortion, etc)?  If so, and you want to use an amp with built-in effects, get one that has an outboard FX loop - if you use the delays before the amp, then the delay sounds get changed by the amp effects.  Of course if you use the delays at the start of your pedal chain, this does not apply.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.