These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Should I upgrade to HD Pro from XT Pro?
by jjulien on 2012-12-02 11:48:36

I've had my Pod XT Pro with all the add on packs for years and am quite satisfied but, I like some of the new features of the HD Pro. I've been searching you tube and articles trying to find pro's an con's but still undecided. My question is what can I do with my XT Pro that I wouldn't be able to do with an HD Pro? I play from classic rock thru' 80's & 90's style rock to metal. I'll take anyones opinion but would really like to here from those that made the XT Pro to HD Pro switch..

Thanks

My current gear are:

Gibson Les Paul  custom

Jackson soloist

Pod XT pro >

BBE 362 >

QSC RMX 1450 >

Marshall 1960a 4X12 cab

Re: Should I upgrade to HD Pro from XT Pro?
by hurghanico on 2012-12-02 12:56:52

I had the XT Live full loaded with all the avaible model packs, and I happily switched to the HD500..

I like the HD500 very much, for several aspects is better than the XTL, specially for the dynamics, the touch and volume response sensibility, and the tweakings options.

If I didn't had need for money I probably would never sold the XTL, but that is also true for several other instruments I sold, I hate to separate myself from my gear.. but space and money are not infinite..

the XTL full loaded with MPs, and also the X3, have some models the HD doesn't have..and many of them are still quite good..

the HD isn't a XT on steroids, they are just different machines, with different characters, both good for different things..

so my personal advice is: if you can, keep your XT Pro and buy the HD Pro, so you'll have all the possible options avaible to you,

PS. I know you asked your question to Pro owners, and I'm not, but the sound quality of the Pro and not-Pro multi-fx above is exactly the same

by jjulien on 2012-12-02 15:06:29

Would you believe that even though the HD doesn't have all the amp models as the XT, you could still replicate the tones with the models it does have?

by hurghanico on 2012-12-02 15:25:01

more or less, it depends..

the models of the common modeled amps are somewhat similar but not identical..

generally speaking the hd models are very good, some even of stellar quality, maybe with the common ones you'll go very close if not better to your old patches..

but with the missing models I don't think you'll replicate exactly your original patches, but probably you'll discover new stimulating roads

by silverhead on 2012-12-02 15:31:55

jjulien wrote:

Would you believe that even though the HD doesn't have all the amp models as the XT, you could still replicate the tones with the models it does have?

If all you want to do is replicate the sounds of the XT, then keep the XT and continue to use it. If you want better tones, then buy a Pod HD - but in that case your goal should not be to replicate the XT tones.

And yes, the variety and flexibility of the HD amp modeling will let you get tones very similar to anything you can get from the XT. You will have a steep learning curve to get there, but once there you won't regret it.

by jjulien on 2012-12-02 21:28:00

It's not that I want to replicate the XT tones...I do want better sound quality.....I'm just affraid to spend the money to find out I can't come up with the right sounds for half my set list......I guess I just want someone to say that what ever type of music you play on the XT you can do on the HD pro and it will sound 10 times better!!! the one thing i'm sure of is that I want the clean tones from the HD... the XT clean models suck!

just thought of something else....I have the FBV Shortboard...I'm assuming that will not work with the HD? i'll have to get the MKII? there's another $200.....I guess I would have to drop the cash ...play with it till i can get what i want and then trade in or sell the XT and shortboard....

by hurghanico on 2012-12-03 03:20:04

jjulien ha scritto:

....I guess I just want someone to say that what ever type of music you play on the XT you can do on the HD pro and it will sound 10 times better!!! the one thing i'm sure of is that I want the clean tones from the HD... the XT clean models suck!...

Generally the HD common models sound better than the ones in the XT, and also a bit different.. That's why I switched to the HD..

I can't say they are 10 times better but are better for sure.. specially the HD amps that go from clean to mid gain are far superior in my opinion..

As I said before the missing models are just missing so forget to find the same tones on the HD, but probably you can find better solutions..

If you recorded something on cd and you found the perfect tone with your XT and you want replicate exactly the same tone at your live gigs, better if you keep the gear you already have to do it again..

instead if you want something fresh, new, and HD quality, buy the HD and take your time (not much really) to learn how to get out the best tones from this beast..

If you are worried about the money to get also the FBV and if the more input/output of the HD Pro are not so important for you, get a HD500..

wait some time before eventually sell your XT Pro, so you can take a more pondered decision later

by jjulien on 2012-12-03 09:13:14

Yeah, I guess I just like the notion of having more....now that I think of it I probably don't use more than 5 amp models.....The more I read and listen about the HD I like  the dual amp availability...question with that is, can you have each amp coming out of left or right channels?

Also, the built in looper seems useful.

I wonder if they're planning on releasing an update to add more HD amp models like in previous pods...or are they close to releasing an entirely new unit..

I wish I could get one on loan to play with....I guess most place give a 30 day return policy....

Thank for all the input!

by hurghanico on 2012-12-03 11:23:40

jjulien ha scritto:

...question with that is, can you have each amp coming out of left or right channels?...

yes, you can

by scottyo78 on 2012-12-03 14:02:21

I was in much a similar position as you are... with an XTL that I loved but is now my "backup". I've lurked at the HD500 along with the other brands units. When I got the cash, I nearly got the BOSS unit... so glad I didn't.

You can get as good but probably better tones on the HD500. It is a bit different animal though... especially the USB and direct (on unit) editing (for me). Your familiarity with the XTL will help bridge the change but the HD500 is laid out differently so just embrace learning the new stuff and you'll be happy. The Looper, FX loop, Dual amps and the ability to arrange your effects in nearly a limitless order is worth the upgrade.

There are a couple minor XTLive features I miss.

1. There is no software 'switch' to set the "Amp" button to "Compressor" (I used this for an easy Solo boost).

2. Editing a single effect entails more steps on the 500 vs. just double pressing the XTL effect and "being right there".

Hope this helps!

by jjulien on 2012-12-03 17:30:41

I've just spent the last two hours watching youtube videos of the HD Pro, 11R, GSP1101, Boss GT10, and the AXE FX (until I saw it was over 2K)!! so minus the AXE FX I would say the HD Pro is in the lead...

Thanks for all the input!!!

by spaceatl on 2012-12-03 17:34:48

I had an XT bean...I gave it to my borther shortly after my HD bean arrived...I never had any problem getting a good tone out of the XT. It was the feel of XT that drove me nuts...I could never get a good dynamic feel without adding a tube buffer of some sort to warm things up a bit...The FX in HD destroy the XT...M series FX are way better IMHO...I don't miss my XT bean a bit and both my FBV Shortboards (MK1 greenscreen and MK2 orangescreen) work just fine with the HD bean...

by jjulien on 2012-12-03 17:49:38

Heres a question I just stumbled on...are all the HD series compatable with eachother? Maybe thats not right what i'm asking?? I just went to custome tones to look at some presets for the HD Pro i checked the compatable box and it looked that tones for the HD pro are not compatable with the HD 500, 400 etc...?

by irishpriest on 2012-12-03 19:17:01

The HD series is a big improvement over the xt series in all areas outside of the studio. Obviously the Amp modelling has improved and I wouldnt let the smaller amount of amps scare you away. The ones it does offer will definetely cover the Tone spectrum. For myself the coolest thing about the HD series isnt even the amp modelling at all though. It is the M-Class effects that are loaded into the unit. They have done an excellent job with (most) of the fx and they are a huge leap ahead of whats in your XT. The extra horsepower under the hood of the HD series allows for more flexible use of FX and has certain FX the XT cant handle at all.

Here's another thought. There is also the option of the Eleven rack: www.Sweetwater.com has it on for 699 and it comes with a full version on Pro tools 10. You can also find it on ebay for cheaper. I have both the Pod HD500 and the Eleven rack and the pod doesnt get nearly as much use in my home studio. IMO: Both are excellent units, but if i had to choose the Eleven rack wins out for me.

No matter how you decide you cant go wrong. Just don't sell your XT untill you are completely happy with the decision you have made, or if money allows keep both, they both do different things better.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-12-03 19:20:03

HD: Pros:  1-More acccurate modeling, just by varying your pick attack in the right hand, the possible various tones are many more than the XT. If you spend a day playing the various amps in the HD it will be very hard to go back to the XT models becuase of the finger responsiveness that's virutually non existant in the XT if compared with the HD

2-Effects sound better than XT

3-Effects routing is quite open, run multiple drives in a row, or mutliple any effect in any order..Much more possibilites.

HD Cons: 1-EQ is simply terrible, % is used for frequencies and is intended to be "EQ for Dummies" who never a professional EQ in their lives.

2-The routing for recording is no where near the flexibility of the XT where you can use POD Farm and route virtual tracks in very useful configerations (hear the wet while you record dry etc tec...

3-HD has more bugs when interfacing with a computer that might call for complete resetting of the hardware and in some cases irrcoverable PODs with looping startup screens...

Conclusion: POD HD modeling is superior in every way so I can never go back to play with XT level modeling, it just sounds like a toy in comparison and I'm willing to go to hell and back to have that quality tone. To me everything else is irrelevant when it comes to tone, I already have recording setup and I'm not counting on the POD having any recording (ASIO,) drivers. Actaully I wish they take many of the features for recording out and focus on the quality of the models. The New Soldanos in the HD are leaps and bounds ahead of the XT...

by jjulien on 2012-12-03 19:54:45

What is it with the eleven rack that you like more than the HD? I loe the fact that that the HD has the 45 sec loop capability and the dual amp use...it doesn't look like the eleven rack has that capability?

by irishpriest on 2012-12-04 21:43:14

Well it really comes down to what you want the unit to do. I already have some amazing tube amps for playing live and there is no way the Pod HD is going to replace those. I don't care how much gear I have to lug and transport, they sound amazing and its all part of playing live. Studios are expensive and I like to record all my ideas, scratch tracks and completed songe before I would go into a studio to record. I require a modeller for playing session work, and home studio work. For me the HD just doesn't do it. I find the weakest part of the Pod is its lack of features and use in the studio.

I couldnt never shell out 2600 for the Axe Fx, I would rather have a great tube amp for that price any day, so I turned to the Eleven Rack. It is fully equipped for the studio. It sounds great, I think the models are better because there is no weak ones. Where with the Pod some are great some aren't. It has re amping, parametric eq's, speaker breakup, true-z input matching for different pickup ect. Here is a list of what it does:http://www.avid.com/US/products/eleven-rack_2/features#Amps

It">http://www.avid.com/US/products/eleven-rack_2/features#Amps">http://www.avid.com/US/products/eleven-rack_2/features#Amps

Itcomes with a full version of Pro tools 10 which is awesome. Every studio around is going to be running Pro tools or have a copy on hand to work with anyways so there is a major integration benefit there. Plus your getting the whole thing for the price of just the software alone. This is the Pod forums though, I dont want to go on for ever about someone elses product, they are both great pieces of kit, I have both. I know youtube videos sound like $%^ but its a good resource to see what each is capable of, I would check out some videos and see what works for you!

by jjulien on 2012-12-06 12:20:37

I downloaded the advanced manual and I was trying to find some info about the dual amping...I would like to have one amp play out my left channel and the other out the right channel so I could run each of my real cabs left and right. you say this is possible Hurg?

by jjulien on 2012-12-06 12:24:17

Thanks for all the input guys! I really appreciate it! I guess for what i want the HD Pro fit's all my wishes less some of the amp models...One being the Soladano but I see they added it in the firmware upgrade....so.....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.