These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Should my amp be resonating?
by Uncle_Bungle on 2012-12-03 11:11:14

I've only had the DT25 combo for about a month and use it alongside a HD500. All amp models are selected as the 'pre' versions and I use the L6 Link to connect.   

I usually use only 2 patches - one a Fender and one a Vox AC30TB. With the Vox patch the amp will resonate with certain notes which the Fender won't - The patch is in itself a lot louder than the Fender one but regardless or turning down drive, bass, amp or mixer volume this sound will remain. It's reminiscent of if a spring was resonating sympathetically with the note.

Now the big thing here is I've never owned a tube amp before so I'm not sure if this behaviour is typical for a Vox setting etc or not as I say the Fender setting doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

Anyone able to help?     

Re: Should my amp be resonating?
by stumblinman on 2012-12-04 16:12:20

Maybe try a different topology on the Vox model and see if it happens then too.  The different topologies have very different frequency responses, so that is what I would lean towards being the issue.

Re: Should my amp be resonating?
by spaceatl on 2012-12-04 16:32:22

Try the pencil test...With things on the patch where it is making the sound, turn the guitar all the way down and gently tap each tube with a pencil. If you hear the tapping through the speaker, you might have found your culprit...Sometimes some of the plate welds fail or wear in tubes where the plate will physically resonate...good luck.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.