These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

UX2 keeps killing all USB ports! Please help!
by stuz0r on 2012-12-03 16:54:31

I have a Pod Studio UX2. It's a great piece of equipment. I bought a Macbook Pro Retina with Mountain Lion about 2 months ago. I installed all of my line6 stuff onto the new computer, updated all the drivers and thought I was good to go. About 5 minutes into recording I heard a very loud pop. I looked over at my UX2 and both clipping lights were on. All of the other lights were out. But not only did it kill the UX2, my mouse stopped working, which was plugged in to another USB port on my computer. In order to fix this I have to either restart my computer or unplug all USB devices, shut the lid so it can go to sleep, wait for about 30 secs and open the lid. Somehow this resets the USB ports I guess.

It's not only when I'm recording though. It will do it when I am just using it as an audio card. It's as if when I do something on my computer that needs audio to work it sometimes does and sometimes makes that loud clipping sound and kills all USB ports. It makes it really hard to do any audio work of any type...

I also get random crackling sounds when recording no matter what the buffer size is set to. It's like a very distorted reverb / delay sound. It lasts for about 3 - 5 seconds then cleans up again.

Is there anyone else having this same issue? If so, have you found a solution to this or a workaround? I've been talking with tech support, but they said they had not heard of all USB ports dying like mine are doing.

Mac put out an update a few weeks back that was suppose to update USB drivers for "certain applications" but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Intel Core i7 2.6 GHz with 16 GB of memory.

I have many other USB peripherals that work without issue which lead me to believe that it's not the hardware itself.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Re: UX2 keeps killing all USB ports! Please help!
by austin5string on 2012-12-03 17:41:36

Yep, the exact same problem, same exact system.

However, I got a different response from tech support last week.  He checked with Hugo (I guess that's one of their lead engineers), who confirmed they have had reports of this and have reproduced it in their labs.  There's apparently some sort of compatibility issue with their drivers, Pod Farm, and Mountain Lion.

I would hope that this is a pretty high priority, as I didn't buy the UX2 to sit on my desk, but it doesn't seem too high, as I've found similar reports at least a month or more old.

I'm being pretty casual about it for now, but eventually I'll start calling them daily.  They also aren't very transparent about it at all, as I haven't seen any official Line 6 responses anywhere about it.

by Triryche on 2012-12-03 17:43:17

Line6 is aware of the driver issue with ML and they are currently working on it.

by stuz0r on 2012-12-03 17:47:55

Well... Hopefully they fix it at some point. I use it quite often for my job. Guess I'll have to find a work around for the time being.

by stuz0r on 2012-12-03 17:48:11

That would be great!

by hytrez on 2012-12-09 06:37:51

Hello...Same problèm,with same system....Any news???...Thanks

by stuz0r on 2012-12-09 21:40:38

Nothing yet. I guess I'm going to just sit back and wait for them to update the drivers. I thought maybe I'd try running Pod Farm in 32 bit mode. When I would run Snow Leopard in 64 bit mode it would screw up Pod Farm. Even though Pod Farm now runs in 64 bit mode, I thought I'd give it a shot to see if that would help. Unfortunately it did not. It probably has nothing to do with the Pod Farm software itself. I'm thinking it has to do with the "Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices". If you look under your System Settings you'll see it there at the bottom. It would be nice if they'd address the issue soon though. Some of us depend on these things for work!

by stuz0r on 2012-12-21 10:19:53

I thought that maybe running the output through my computer instead of through the UX2 might help. No deal. Still shuts down all the USB ports on my mac. This is getting really frustrating. It seems that Line6 is cutting there losses with this and moving on to their newer stuff. I really would like to be able to use my UX2 for recording...

by hytrez on 2012-12-22 00:55:45

Hello...Is Father Christmas able to resolve the problem??? Regards  Pat

by ForceBlast on 2012-12-23 14:29:29

Same problem here.  My UX2 doesn't work on Mountain Lion.  It seems Line 6 always lags way behind with driver updates.  Everytime Apple updates the OS it takes forever for Line 6 to update drivers.  This has happened to me serveral times now.  It's very frustrating.  Apple has Beta OSs avaiable via their developer program for a reason.  How does this continue to be a problem?

Some people say "then why do you upgrade the OS?"  Well, in at least one case it wasn't my choice.  The new Mac I got came with the latest OS.  I'm now looking at alternatives and I'm not sure if Line 6 is going to be on that list.  It's too bad.  It was great when it worked. 

by stuz0r on 2012-12-30 19:58:11

I really like when they say to stay with dated technology. It makes them sound lazy. So I'm suppose to lag behind in the technology world because you wouldn't use the beta OS and test of the software. Sense... this makes none.

Like you said, when it worked it was awesome! The sound was great! And all of this just as I'm about to start my own audio branding company... Guess I'll be testing out other software.

by stuz0r on 2012-12-30 19:58:32

No... no he did not.

by geoffdugan on 2013-01-16 16:56:17

Good news guys!

It looks like the new update to 7.2.1 has fixed the issue!

I just got my UX2 at the end of December. I opened a support ticket and Jon was very helpful.

Just dowloaded the update and played for 2 hours with no issues at all!

Have a good one!

by stuz0r on 2013-01-22 14:20:19

Thank God! Finally! I was losing hope in them... I actually just got from Guitar Center looking at other interfaces... I had slacked off in checking for updates a few days ago. I just figured I'd check. Man I'm so happy about this! Onward and upward!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.