These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Anyone tried feed-back sound using POD?
by bjoo on 2012-12-05 18:59:13

I always wondered feedbacked howling is never achievable in POD.

Just wondering

Re: Anyone tried feed-back sound using POD?
by ChristophK on 2012-12-06 02:03:45

In my experience, this is related more to the stage amp and guitar you are using than to the POD itself. I play a HD500 through an DT25 and it is absolutely no problem to achive nice and controllable feedback with this combination. If you are going direct to a PA, it might be much more difficult. Remember: Feedback occurs only with certain frequencies, where the whole chain guitar body - pickup - POD - amp resonates. And of course, the guitar has to be near the amp for this wot work. My gut feeling is that the most important part is a good tube amp at the end.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-06 02:12:29

There is no way to get the infinite sustain that feedback provides but you can mimic the harmonic overtone by adding a pitch shifter to the chain,  setting the pitch an octave higher and then assigning the mix control to the expression pedal. 

by Rewolf48 on 2012-12-06 05:47:36

I use a JTV, HD500 and FRFR monitor and have no problem getting controlled feedback at all - even at really low volumes: just have enough gain in the effect and amp chain!

As an example we do a few Pink Floyd songs and to be authentic I use the Highway amp model which is set clean, but also have a Colour Drive and Fuzz Face type distortions before the amp (rough copy of early Gilmour set-up).  With one or other of the distortions active you get distortions with quite different tones, but activate them both and the JTV simulated Strat gets into infinite feedback at the slightest provocation but in a nicely controlled way and as long as you are careful with damping unwanted strings can hold any note forever. 

It really does help that the JTV is effectively silent otherwise because otherwise this amount of gain wouldn't be practical without really heavy noise gate settings which would kill the effect obviously - do you use a noise gate in your patches?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-06 06:22:42

p.s.  I am talking about getting feedback in a pure effects context.  With enough gain and speaker in proximity to the guitar pickup darn near anything can be made to feed back !! With headphones (worn on your head) natural feedback is not going to happen unless your body is particularly dense .

by joel_brown on 2012-12-06 06:44:10

Just get a Sustainiac like Steve Vai and you're done.  Otherwise get an amp and crank it up.  Even then the Sustainiac will be better because it does all the notes, anytime, any volume.

by scheater5 on 2012-12-06 08:20:25

The new-ish boss feedbacker looks really promising in this area.  I've heard lots of praise for the booster part of it, and mixed things about the feedbacker part of it, but some youtube videos make it look really promising.  Personally, I've found good results from just a good monitor.  You get that "guitar-amp circuit" thing that happens when you have a really loud amp on stage - your notes sustain longer and with more harmonics, even without full blown feedback.  And of course, feedback is possible.  To me, the pod through a cranked monitor gets this even BETTER than a real amp in a traditional setup, owing to the fact that the monitor is facing my guitar. 

by hurghanico on 2012-12-06 08:23:18

with enough volume close to me I get all the sustain I want very easily

by joel_brown on 2012-12-06 18:05:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQD38z456IQ

You want sustain, here it is.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.