These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

M13 won't change folders- really!
by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-05 21:48:14

O.K.  I just got a new M13- I had an M9 and it was very easy to change folders... 

I push the scene select switch.  The LCD's change from showing the effects to showing me the names of the scenes.  I turn the model select knob under LCD 1.  There is no change to LCD 1.  It doesn't tell me I'm in folder1 or 2 or selecting another folder.  It remains showing the scene names.  I do understand that factory settings has the same names for each folder.  It really isn't giving me an option to switch to another folder in the display or saying which folder I am in.

Just to make sure, I turned the unit on and off.  I even did the factory reset.  No change.  Boo!  Help!

Re: M13 won't change folders- really!
by phil_m on 2012-12-06 06:31:46

Well, two things come to mind. Are you sure you have the latest firmware. If you got the M13 is from a big retailer, it would be pretty unlikely that it wouldn't have at least the 2.01 firmware installed, but there's a chance that's possible. You can see what version you're running by going into setup mode. The firmware version you're running will show up in the upper left hand corner of the LCD for the FX1 column.'

The other thing is that the scenes in the different folders are named the same thing, and the only think that changes in LCD 1 is a little text box pops up that says "Folder 1", "Folder 2", etc. Once you rename scenes in the different folder, you'll see the scene names change, but you won't see that on a unit that has all the factory scenes still.

by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-06 08:24:18

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply.  After posting last night, I also thought of updating.  I followed the directions for Mac but I got an "error" message durring download in LCD 1 then a "download failed" message when the entire sysex data had been "sent".  I got a new sysex driver and tried again as suggested.  This time when I started the M13 (while pressing model select knob in FX 1) LCD 1 will only read: FLASH UPDATE MODE   WAITING COMMAND...    LCD 2 only reads: M13 Stompbox modeler  V1.02.00   When sending the sysex data this time I got no change in these LCDs- no error or failed messages- nothing changed. 

Here's the kicker.  Now, when I turn on my unit the only thing I get is  LCD 1 saying: FLASH UPDATE MODE   WAITING COMMAND...   and LCD 2 saying: M13 Stompbox Modeler  V1.02.00  I am not pressing model select knob in FX 1 when I turn it on nor am I connected by Midi.  I do not get normal displays at all.

Michael

by phil_m on 2012-12-06 08:32:47

Well, you know for sure why you don't have the extra folders. You have an old firmware version.

As far as the update, try sending the Sysex file again. One thing to try is not connecting a cable to the M13's MIDI out if you were doing that. You really only need the MIDI in cable. What type of MIDI adpater are you using?

by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-06 08:40:09

I will try with out the cable to the M13 MIDI out.  I am using  a USB MIDI cable by Hosa.  It does get recognised by my Mac.  Thanks

by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-06 09:07:35

O.K.  The sysex Librarian sent the whole file but The M13 didn't get it all.  My LCD 1 sez: Downloading...  Packet#:   00C8  and the bar graph below that show about 1/4 compleated.   LCD 2 sez: Factory Boot   V0.02.0b

I'll try again but if you have any info/suggestions I would love to hear it. 

by phil_m on 2012-12-06 09:58:35

Well, I hate to say it, but I think you need to invest in a better USB MIDI adapter. Even though it gets recognized by the Mac, it's probably using Apple's generic drivers. It seems like for the update to work consistently, something more robust like the M-Audio Uno is the way to go. But try doing the update with having the MIDI out connected first. That sometimes does the trick, too.

by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-06 10:13:50

You are probably right about the USB/MIDI adapter.  Now I feel like the Hosa. 

Do I need to do the updates sequentialy?  As in: start with 2.0 then 2.1 then 2.4?  2.0 seems to be a bigger file...

by phil_m on 2012-12-06 10:26:17

Just send the latest one. That's all you need.

by Baba_Chigga on 2012-12-06 12:28:42

Thanks Phil!  I have an MAudio adapter coming in the mail...  that should do it.  Michael

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.