These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Need help getting my DT 25 to sound good
by lowellhall on 2012-12-07 18:21:02

I'm having a very hard time getting decent overdrive tones from my DT 25 and was hoping someone could help me out. I have a DT 25 hooked up to an HD 300 via L6 link and coming through a 2x12 Avatar open back cab with 25w greenbacks. I use the pre amp models and have tried it with the cab sims turned on and off but can't seem to get a tone that doesn't sound harsh. I'm wondering if maybe the tone would be better if I had the cab and speaker that were designed to use with the DT 25. Has anyone noticed that it makes a huge difference? Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Re: Need help getting my DT 25 to sound good
by BigBob-Irwin on 2012-12-08 15:38:49

I do not know if you are using distotions or clean settings or what kind of music you are trying to play however try turning up the master passed 6 or 7 for some output overdrive its loud but most valve amps sound better this way. I am a blues/rock player so don't play anything more heavy than Gary Moore or cream however depending what amp you choose I have found it best for the tones I want to turn up the pre amp gain on the chosen amp until its just into pre OD then add a tube screamer or OD of your choice this IMO gives a far more natural sound than having a clean amp and trying to do it all with distortion or OD by itself. I always use Pre's for my amps and experiment with either no cab or any cab that makes the sound I want and sometimes not necessary the cab that goes with the amp. In general if an amp sounds too harsh try turning down the middle first followed by the treble and presence to taste don't be afraid to turn these down low if needs be and do not get into the mindset where all the tone controls are at 12 o clock the last amp I had (Marshall JVM) sounded best to my ears at treble at 9 o clock middle at 8 o clock bass at 11 o clock at which point I got that clasic rock sound my DT25 is not the same but I do have most the cut or treble slightly below 12 o clock depending on the amp selected if all the above does not work try some of the eq's in the pod.

by lowellhall on 2012-12-08 20:19:03

Thanks for those suggestions. I'm running the master and channel volume both around 3 and was trying to get decent tones out of the hi gain pre models. I'll have to try your tips and see if I can get some good tones.

by BigBob-Irwin on 2012-12-11 01:59:42

Forget what I just said I am having the same problem now The amp used as a stand alone sounds great but with my pod HD500 does not sound so good at gig volume I have put a support ticket in to line 6 will let you know the outcome.

There was a thread on here http://http://uk.line6.com/support/thread/55012">http://uk.line6.com/support/thread/55012">http://http://uk.line6.com/support/thread/55012on same thing raised by Tommy he got the issue sorted and said he was going to post his workaround but I can not find this post anywhere and do not know if you can find posts by putting members in search I tried but nothing came up he did not put anything as a workaround in the original thread as far as I can see.

by stumblinman on 2012-12-11 08:30:51

The best way I've found to get a quality sound out of dt and hd500 is to use the blackback cab. It seems to have the right eq curve to add enough lows and miss and still cut through live. I'm not a home recorder type, so all I set my pod and dt25 up for is live use at gig volume for bar music. Anything from Beatles to Weezer. Give that cab a try with your preamp patches and see what you think. Good luck!

by BigBob-Irwin on 2012-12-11 15:47:21

Thanks Stumblinman I will give this a try I also play out live most the time and realise that any amp can sound way different at gig volume I also got a reply from line 6 and found a post from Tommy with his fix as well http://uk.line6.com/support/thread/55927. Mrs Bob is out tomorrow so will have a go at both methods and maybe mix and match.

by BigBob-Irwin on 2012-12-12 08:32:40

Ok I have been playing about with the settings on this all day and have come to the conclusion that to get the sound I want with the HD500 and DT25 linked at gig volume you need to set the HD500 to studio direct and use pre amps as suggested by Tommy . This allows you to change cabs and what can make a bid difference is the mike or the placement of the mike i.e if the top end is too harsh on the sm57 try placing it off axis it makes a lot of difference. An other thing I noticed as an old guy (which I am) I have since 1965 using my volume on the guitar to clean up overdrive and distortion and noticed that this did not happen when using the dt with hd but I have found that if you reduce the 1m setting on input 1 source set up down to 22k this fixes the issue with humbuckers anyway and as a byproduct makes the guitar sound a bit more organic.

I am certain everyone hears things differently but at the moment this works for me it might not be everybody's cup of tea I am going to give my ears a rest now and listen again tomorrow.  If all is ok all I need from Line 6 is a decent model of a Dumble amp and I would be happier than a pig in ****.

by HwyStar on 2012-12-12 10:41:31

This text is from the advanced manual:

We’ve included a complete set of “Preamp” versions of each Amp as well. Choose one

of these to obtain the tone of just the preamp stage of the amp - recommended when

feeding your POD HD500 output into an external amplifier, or when using the L6 LINK™

connection.*

*Note that, whether an Amp or Preamp is selected, the additional application of Cab and

Mic Models is dependent upon the SETUP:OUTPUT settings. Please see “Page 4, Setup:

Output Options” on page 2•8. 

The overall volume levels among the different Preamp Models varies - this is normal. The

Preamp sections of each of the classic amplifiers we modeled are indeed quite different,

and we’ve set the Preamps’ default values to best match the type of power amp into which

they are intended to fed. Tweak the DRIVE and VOLUME knobs to optimize the level for

your specific needs!

by BigBob-Irwin on 2012-12-12 12:42:19

Hi Hwystar,

HwyStar wrote:

This text is from the advanced manual:

We’ve included a complete set of “Preamp” versions of each Amp as well. Choose one

of these to obtain the tone of just the preamp stage of the amp - recommended when

feeding your POD HD500 output into an external amplifier, or when using the L6 LINK™

connection.*

*Note that, whether an Amp or Preamp is selected, the additional application of Cab and

Mic Models is dependent upon the SETUP:OUTPUT settings. Please see “Page 4, Setup:

Output Options” on page 2•8. 

this was how I was using the DT25 with the HD however this was with combo power amp setting on the Pod which is the recommended setting for using with the link which you could change cabs but not microphones or placement of microphone As stated above the output on the Pod is now set to Studio direct not combo power amp and to my ears sounds better what I was originally trying to do was get the amps stand alone settings to sound the same with the Pod linked and was not achieving this I also wanted to set up the patches I use at gig volume and as you will probably know a Amp with valve (tube) output sounds a lot different at room level than at gig level getting more overdrive and change of harmonic output plus the valves act like a natural compressor which is why I bought the DT25 as I mainly gig out and rarely record.

by HwyStar on 2012-12-12 19:06:27

I see what you are doing now BigBob. Thanks for the clarification.  I just got a DT25 today so it is all new to me with what and how the amps should be set up.  It is a little confusing.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.