These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Is it really necessary to delete all patches when updating?
by lachinelli on 2012-12-13 04:28:51

Hi,

Yesterday I updated firmware from 2.02 to 2.10 in my HD500. When I did this, I didn't delete the patches (Even if I backed them up, I rather not mess around in case I can't load them again). After that, I read about reseting global settings and pedal calibration, which I did. I also read that when I update firmware I have to select 'No' to the keep patches option when updating.

Is this really necessary? Could that bring a malfunction with my POD?

Before that, I updated from some 1.xx firmware to 2.02, but that was when I bought it and I probably didn't keep any patches since I had none yet.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I just want everything to run smooth.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Is it really necessary to delete all patches when updating?
by TheRealZap on 2012-12-13 05:45:48

its always good to backup just in case...

but you can keep your patches no problem...

the global reset/calibration is pretty much mandatory unless you want flaky issues...

it may reset your setlist names, but shouldn't affect your tones.

by silverhead on 2012-12-13 08:24:03

In most cases it is not necessary to delete (replace) existing presets when updating. However, it is necessary to reset global parameters and this causes the setlist names to be changed to the factory settings, although it does not affect any presets in the setlists. So if your pre-update setlist names were different from the factory setlist names you will have to edit the names manually to restore them.

In some cases, however, it is necessary to replace existing presets because the update renders some or all existing presets incompatible with the update. For instance, some time ago there was a Pod HD firmware update that addressed an issue involving invalid data in certain presets. In that case, any existing presets that contained such data were suddenly unrecognized by the new firmware and had to be replaced.

Personally, I always make a backup of all my setlists before updating firmware. I then choose to replace existing presets during the update, then make a copy of all factory setlists immediately after the update, and then restore any setlists that I had saved before the update. That way I can get the benefits of any new factory presets or setlists as well as keep my custom setlists, and load the ones I want at any time.

Don't worry about not being able to reload presets in the new firmware after saving them in the old firmware. Except for cases where there are good reasons why this shouldn't be done (like the invalid data situtation described above) the save/restore process is reliable.

by lachinelli on 2012-12-13 10:02:19

Thanks for the input, it really helped me. I think my presets don't fall into the old firmware issue cause when I bought the HD500, first thing I did was to download all software and update the firmware to 2.02. After updating to 2.10 I reseted Global Settings and recalibrated the pedal, as told. When I updated, I kept the presets made under 2.02 firmware, and so far they all seem to be there unchanged. I had to re-type te setlist names after the Global reset, but that's not a big deal, as long as my POD works fine. I just don't wanna mess with presets because it'd take me a huge amount of time to re-build them; all I use is made by me. I did a backup, but I'm still afraid of that invalid data problem...I think I'm gonna make several backups and store them in different places.

Thanks for the help and quick response!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.