These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

My Variax horror story from last nights gig
by dmpoole on 2012-12-16 06:02:59

It's all my own stupid fault but halfway through Led Zeppelin's - Dazed & Confused my Cherry Sunburst JTV-59 suddenly changed sound and tuning so I looked down and realised the battery had died. Luckily we were in a part where a little bit of jamming was appropriate and I swapped for my Tobacco Sunburst JTV-59 and continued. We play in Eb but I tune normally and drop it to Eb so that's why I went out of tune. A few songs later we're playing Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath and the battery on that one died so we extended the quiet bit a bit longer while I tuned down to Eb and was able to finish the night.

Two lessons learned -

1) Check batteries

2) Tune to Eb just in case.

Anybody else got a live gig Variax horror story?

Re: My Variax horror story from last nights gig
by phil_m on 2012-12-16 07:18:58

Frankly, as gig horror stories go, that's not too bad... Judging from your title, when I opened the post, I expected something much worse.

by dlacava on 2012-12-16 12:45:04

If you guys play in Eb tune the guitar in Eb, you can't go wrong you can switch to the magnetic pickups in case of a battery problem.

I tune to Eb due to the band I'm in you just have to think a little if you set up custom tunings on the guitar for different songs.

by dmpoole on 2012-12-20 14:23:45

For the first year I did tune to Eb but I got complacent and decided to let the guitar do it for me. I've just done a setlist in my HD500 and got it changing sounds and tunings on my JTV-59 so I've got to make sure my battery is charged.

by Rewolf48 on 2012-12-21 05:14:19

I don't understand....

You have an HD500 and JTV, and the HD500 is changing sounds and tunings on the JTV therefore must be using a VDI cable.

The VDI cable provides power from HD500 to JTV and you don't need to have the battery in the JTV at all. 

I have mine taken out but in the gig bag with a standard cable just in case I have to plug into a normal amp.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.