These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Pod HD 500 with a DT amp or L3T?
by jmtaww on 2012-12-20 07:05:48

Ok, so I recently posted a thread on a question about running my newer Pod HD500 through a tech 21 power engine, but I am now focusing on purchasing either a DT25/50 or running the Pod into a L3T speaker.  I have read some threads on the L3T, but I guess what I want to really know (hopefully from someone who owns a L3T specifically running a Pod into it), is the color of the sound you get through a L3T speaker.  I know it is a FRFR setup, but how much tonal difference is it from running a Pod through the DT amps?  If I am going to drop that kind of money on one of these pieces of equipment, I want to be really happy with it.  I was really impressed with a you tube video on the DT25 titled "The Andertons Dream Rig" from a year ago.  The DT25 amp sounds amazing.  However, to have the capability of running the pod through the L3T as well as an acoustic/and or vocal mic seems attracting to me as well as long as the tone of my guitar isn't compromised in a big way.  The reason I say that, is because I am still not fully impressed with how my pod hd500 sounds through the Tech 21 PE.  It's ok, but have to admit coming from a real class "A" tube amp with analog pedals, the tone difference has been pretty substantial to my ear.  If I can get a great sound through an L3T speaker, and bypass having to have a tube(or Hybrid) amp, I would like that because of its flexability with other instruments.  So long story short, if anyone owns the L3T and Pod HD500 combo, I would love to hear your thoughts on the tone of your guitar sound and if you are truly happy with it because that would be my primary concern before going the DT amp route. 

Re: Pod HD 500 with a DT amp or L3T?
by Rowbi on 2012-12-20 08:54:29

I have it all.  HD500, DT25, DT50 and L3t... mwha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa.

lol

The L3t is a PA speaker, but it has several clever modes.  There's a PA FRFR mode (for general PA at gigs), a playback mode for playing recorded CDs (for DJing), but there's other modes.  One of the other modes is a guitar cab, and this mostly turns off the tweeter in the L3t so that it acts more like a guitar cab, and I'm sure Line 6 will have been able to emulate how a guitar cab sounds, and also as the L3t and HD500 firmware includes recognising that both those products are connected, so I think it will work very well.

I guess though it does depend on what you're looking to achieve.  For me having a pair of DT25's would be awesome for some stereo goodness, and that's a good alternative to an l3t.  Not that the L3t isn't great too, but it will cost more than the DT25, because it has more features.  But if you don't need the extras, a pair of DT25's would be killer for guitar tone and stereo goodness!

by jmtaww on 2012-12-20 09:32:40

Rowbi wrote:

I have it all.  HD500, DT25, DT50 and L3t... mwha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa.

lol

The L3t is a PA speaker, but it has several clever modes.  There's a PA FRFR mode (for general PA at gigs), a playback mode for playing recorded CDs (for DJing), but there's other modes.  One of the other modes is a guitar cab, and this mostly turns off the tweeter in the L3t so that it acts more like a guitar cab, and I'm sure Line 6 will have been able to emulate how a guitar cab sounds, and also as the L3t and HD500 firmware includes recognising that both those products are connected, so I think it will work very well.

I guess though it does depend on what you're looking to achieve.  For me having a pair of DT25's would be awesome for some stereo goodness, and that's a good alternative to an l3t.  Not that the L3t isn't great too, but it will cost more than the DT25, because it has more features.  But if you don't need the extras, a pair of DT25's would be killer for guitar tone and stereo goodness!

Thanks Rowbi for your reply.  So do you feel you get a decent tubelike sound (or just plain good tone) per modeling with the L3T?

by jmtaww on 2012-12-21 08:44:28

So I have a question for line 6. If they want to really sell the L3T speaker, why is there not a video demo of this thing with an electric guitarist playing the pod hd500 through it? (Unless I am missing it)  There is only one video on you tube with some guys playing in a band but it would be nice to hear it in a demo situation with different tones being played through it. That is all I would need to make my decision on whether to by the L3T vs a DT amp.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.