These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Why does wah have impact on tone when bypassed?
by snhirsch on 2012-12-20 14:48:54

I own several "real life" Wah pedals, ranging from a 40 year old Vox-Wah to a newer Cry-Baby.  They all have a direct, hard-wired bypass.  In other words they do not affect the tone when the wah is inactive.  However, the wah virtual effect on my HD500 is not behaving in that manner!  There is an obvious and unwanted change in tone when the wah is clicked "off" on the foot pedal.  I can recover the proper sound only by removing the wah from the signal path with the assigned FS button.

Is anyone else seeing this?  It's simply not correct behavior, IMHO, and requires (2) actions on my part to enable and disable the wah (insert w/ footswitch, click forward on footpedal - then reverse the operation when done).

Re: Why does wah have impact on tone when bypassed?
by phil_m on 2012-12-20 15:02:13

Are you sure you're turning the wah off? It sounds to me like you might not have the off/on functionality of the wah assigned to the expression pedal toe switch. So when you click the switch, you're changing the function of the expression pedal from EXP1 to EXP2 or vice versa, but you're not actually turning the wah effect off. To remedy this, go to the switch assignment screen, go to the wah effect, and select the expression toe switch to control the wah effect.

by scottyo78 on 2012-12-20 17:40:41

Just want to say that I've encountered the scenario as Phil_m describes.

When you put the Wah in the chain it is "on" by default and likes to stay on even if you try to setup the Exp pedal... you must do it exactly correct.

This video (starting @ the 3:30 mark) helped me understand how to set it up and I've bookmarked it for reference when I forget.

by spaceatl on 2012-12-20 17:49:23

Just a thought...You could be hearing the realistic tone suck the stock wahs have...

If the InputZ parameter is set to AUTO and the wah is first in the chain, then the input impedance will drop just like it does on a stock pedal...To remedy this, set Input Z to 1M or 3M...This is on the input configuration menu and can set set per patch...This switched impedance is actually not modeled, it is analog and only on input 1 of the HD500...input 2 is not affected by input Z and is a 1M input as I recall...

by snhirsch on 2012-12-22 07:08:50

Thanks!  I'm still struggling to understand the finer points of footswitch and pedal mapping (as you can tell).  The wah is fine now.

by snhirsch on 2012-12-22 07:10:20

Agreed.  That was my first thought, but the change in tone was more profound than you'd expect from a lowered input impedance.  Turns out to be my misunderstanding of the toe-switch assignment (thought it was automatic).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.