These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

i'm an HD400 user. my adaptor got stolen from a gig yesterday. dont remebr the volt. gonna buy a customized, local adaptor with stabilizer. i'm from india. so..should i buy anything between 110v to 230v??
by neerajan on 2012-12-21 08:22:52

i'm an HD400 user. my adaptor got stolen from a gig yesterday. dont remebr the volt.  gonna buy a customized, local adaptor with stabilizer. i'm from india. so..should i buy anything between 110v to 230v??

Re: i'm an HD400 user. my adaptor got stolen from a gig yesterday. dont remebr the volt. gonna buy a customized, local adaptor with stabilizer. i'm from india. so..should i buy anything between 110v to 230v??
by PremiumJones on 2012-12-21 10:34:46

it needs to put out 9V AC with at least 2.5 Amps.

Re: i'm an HD400 user. my adaptor got stolen from a gig yesterday. dont remebr the volt. gonna buy a customized, local adaptor with stabilizer. i'm from india. so..should i buy anything between 110v to 230v??
by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-21 13:49:22

PremiumJones wrote:

it needs to put out 9V AC with at least 2.5 Amps.

NOOOOOOO!  Wrong.

Do not use 9V AC.  It needs to be 9V DC @ 2.5A.  AC can damage the unit.Earlier Pods used AC but not the HD series.

This is the standard adapter for the Pod  HD series (the Line 6 DC-3G)  http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_dc_3_g.htm

If">http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_dc_3_g.htm">http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_dc_3_g.htm

Ifyou are going to go for a third party replacement then it needs to match the spec,  below.

Input geVoltage:   9V DC

Current:    2.5A Minimum

Connector tip:  Plug length: 15mm, Diameter: 5mm, Center Pin: 2mm.

Polarity.  Centre Negative  (outer barrel as +, positive).

Just bear in mind that some third party adapters can be quite noisy if the filtering on the power is weak.

From what I understand:  India uses 220V so you will need that as a minimum if you will be using the Pod there.  The original Line 6 power supply is 'switching' .... it detects what input voltage is used (110 - 240V) and adjusts itself accordingly.  Make sure you understand whether your third party replacement is switching or fixed to a single input voltage.  If fixed then do not use a higher or lower input voltage without a separate transformer adapter.

Sorry for the shouty colours but there is a risk of damage here so it needs to be seen.

by cabir on 2012-12-21 17:15:53

i've used visual sound's 1 spot all along on my HD500. works great.

http://visualsound.net/1-spot-power-supply/

">http://visualsound.net/1-spot-power-supply/">http://visualsound.net/1-spot-power-supply/

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-22 02:46:48

The 1 Spot is not rated high enough for the Pod.  From your page link ...

Handles from one to over twenty guitar pedals (1700mA max!)

With the Pod allegedly drawing up to 2.5A and the 1 spot delivering 1.7A (i.e. 1700 mA) the 1 spot is rated for less than half of the required current draw.   This is potentially a fire risk. 

I guess you are using it and it works (does it run hot?) but just be aware of this.

by cabir on 2012-12-22 03:59:19

it gets a little warm, but all my adapters do that. doesn't really get hot though.   ya i guess the specs tell a different story. i've used it for about a year and a half now with no problems. infact my hd500 is ON the whole day even if i'm not using it. never had a problem. there's no on/off switch on the hd500 and i don't really remove the adapter from the spike, it just stays there connected.   just got he hd bean recently and i've got the stock adapter from line6 so i'm using that now. the bean has an on/off switch which i really like.    thanks jim for the reply. i'll pay more attention to those things next time. :)

by mdmayfield on 2012-12-22 12:48:49

I'm not certain, but I suspect that the 2.5A might be spec'd for when the Pod is powering the Variax via the VDI cable, which might explain how Cabir is getting away with it so far.

Underpowering something is still a BAD idea though... Many years ago, I powered an electric keyboard with a 300mA adapter when it needed something like 800mA. (Because it "worked," right?? And I was a clueless teenager.) I left it turned on and went downstairs to dinner, and when I got back, the adapter's plastic housing had melted off. Luckily I didn't burn down my parents' house that day, but I learned the lesson.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-22 13:44:17

There seem to be indications that people can get away with lower current PSUs in some cases.  Cabir's ongoing survival would indicate so.  Also, there are those on the forum who have managed to use the Pedalsnake High Current Plines to power their Pod via a pedalsnake even though they are rated at just 1.6A. 

Of course those who ultimately died in an elecrical fire are in no position to post counters or retractions so go figure.  The designers of the HD clearly have a reason to require a high current power supply so again yer takes your chances.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.