These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Where is the Global Eq ?
by Amon on 2012-12-26 04:41:35

Hi

I want to copy per hand some of my x3 Patches all in Studio Mode made into the HD, but one of the main Sound making things i allways use in the X3 was the Global Eq.

Why taking a good Global Eq out ?

And you cant do it with pre/post Eq chains in the HD, they are like toys compared to the X3 Global Eq.

is there a Update planing for a good Global HD Eq  ?

Cheers and Prost

Re: Where is the Global Eq ?
by TheRealZap on 2012-12-26 06:34:39

a direct translation from the x3 isn't possible even going from model to model.... (assuming the model exists in both)

because the HD has all new models, and the sound is different...

no idea about the EQ's... common request though...

my main point was just that you'd have to rely on your ear at some point to get close...

however, if you want it to sound like the x3... lots of reasons to simply stay with the x3....

more models, seperate xlr and 1/4" outs, usb recording features, to name a few....

by joel_brown on 2012-12-26 06:56:24

Not only is there NOT a Global EQ in the HD, the EQs they give you have the most brain dead interface they could have come up with.  I personally ended up buying a used 31 Dual Band external graphic EQ for $100, it made a world of differance.  EQ is everything and Line6 blew it badly in this category.  Don't get me wrong, I really like the PODHD and use it for everything.  Especially now that I have an EQ.

by Amon on 2012-12-26 07:44:50

wow cant believe this the x3 amp/cab/mic models with the Global Eq are sounding so much better

than the same amps on the HD with this toy eq chains.

Tweaking 5 days now to build a simple X3 patch on the HD, but all results are disappointed.

Tried with diffrent amp/cabs/mics , eq pre/post chains, nothing helped.

Its like the frequency range of the HD is to small compared to the X3.

Must i really put out my old 31 band Eq for the HD  !!!!!

What a shame.

I think the HD will leave me and the X3 will stay.

cheers

by TheRealZap on 2012-12-26 08:06:06

you're problem is also trying to replicate your x3 patches.. the x3 worked a specific way and had its limitations...

try building from scratch... as i said the same settings aren't going to sound the same and it sounds like that is the source of your frustration.

by Amon on 2012-12-26 08:16:05

certainly i tried it from scratch with diffrent settings,amp,cab,mic,eq..........,

but the HD allways lose compared to the X3.

by TheRealZap on 2012-12-26 08:27:29

I've had both and I would choose the HD over the x3 by a mile... but it's subjective...

that and i don't use EQ's at all, leave that all to post production for recordings...

so your particular gripe (which is echoed many times by other users...)

just doesn't affect me and how i use my pods.

I know that the line6 developers are well aware of the desire for better EQ's...

wouldn't surprise me if it's being worked on...

however, if the x3 is working for you... use the x3, problem solved.

by Amon on 2012-12-26 08:45:19

i m only talking about the amp/cab/mic/eq models, compared to the X3 the HD lose.

yes the HD have good things, like the reverb/Hall effects much better on the HD,

but thats not the reason for buying a guitar pre amp like the pod, i think.

But your right x3 stays HD leave, problem solved.

by TheRealZap on 2012-12-26 08:50:44

you can always pickup an M5, M9, or M13 to add those effects back into the mix on the x3...

for me, i like the ability to manipulate the signal chain on the HD better as well...

the M5's seem to go under 100$ used.

by Amon on 2012-12-26 09:03:26

i dont think need the M5-M13, my X3 is going into a Eventide Space or TC 4000 Reverb and the Deley in the x3 is good.

A good Delay and Reverb only effects i need.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-26 14:17:35

A global EQ would certainly be a popular option for the HD and there is an outcry for one but it sounds like this may or may not be your problem.

• What are you pluggin your Pod HD Into?
  • What output mode are you using? 
  • What guitar?
  • Music style?

A few people converting over from the X3 to the HD have found it a difficult change initially but are much happier once they become accustomed to the HD Models.  People seem to get the best results by throwing out their model preferences on the X3 and starting again with the HD Models without any preconceptions.  

Some people have even run with the X3 in the HD500 FX Loop so they can get their old presets back while they transfer from one to the other.   This apparently works quite well too.

Have you found Meambobbo's guide to tone building yet --> http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/index.html?">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/index.html">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/index.html?  Many people find this very useful to get themselves going with advanced HD tone building.

by TheRealZap on 2012-12-26 14:31:59

the m5 is good for both, one at a time... but by all means get what you think would work for you.

i use the m5 with my pod hd500 occasionally to offload the reverb DSP load.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-12-26 16:14:41

The HD EQ is a joke for any one who knows how to use parametric EQ  and line 6 don't want to admit it or deal with it in a timely manner, Period!!

by cabir on 2012-12-26 22:03:21

i quite agree. the HD's EQs are just not what i'd like an EQ to be.

infact i was about to buy a second hand 31 band EQ for the exact same purpose. but then i found the hardware monitor level in the line6 audio-midi devices setup. now i use NR > phaser > dist pedal > amp modelling > delay > verb in my hd bean (with monitor level on 0) running into my old macbook pro via usb, running garageband, which runs EQ for really detailed surgery and ozone's harmonic saturator. sometimes i even run guitar rig for effects, delays and reverbs. i have different tracks with different settings of the same for different patches and purposes, all saved up in one garagaband session. this setup works like a breeze.

i think trying to get a master eq has opened up a world of possibilities for me, tonally speaking.

by Amon on 2012-12-27 06:59:05

We use the PODs only in Studio Mode going over Studio Monitors or PA. Our guitar System and  XT/X3 HighGain Sound dont change the last 8 years.

The only thing that changed is the XT/X3 Destop to the HD Destop.

And i have it all here XT/X3 the HD and a real JCM 800 going over a Palmer Triline, so i can compare it direct.

But the HD allways lose in amp modling.

The fizz noise that we want cut out in the high frequency that all POD amp/cab/Mic Models have, is a diffrent in the HD.

Its like the Fizz noise in the XT/X3 is more Harmonic and easier to cut out than in the HD.

But thats not all, the bass frequency in the HD is to muddy without sustain, not tight and compressed like in the XT/X3 without a compressor, on the HD i get a feel to need a Compressor, but the  onboard Compressors in the HD dont help you to make this XT/X3 sustain.

In the end the sound of the HD is so diffrent to the XT/X3 , i dont think you can fix this with a Global Eq, you will need a Linear Phase EQ to get fix this .

Cheers

by joel_brown on 2012-12-27 07:23:39

It took me almost 4 months to get my PODHD sounding the way I want.  I was happy with my old tone and almost gave up on the PODHD a few times.  But once I got the PODHD to do what I wanted, it was worth the effort.  Also reading a number of posts on this forum helped me quite a bit too.  Don't give up, just take your time and be patient.  It'll be worth it in the end.

by Amon on 2012-12-27 07:52:08

I know that i will get the sound right with a lot of time and external eqs and gears, but the XT/X3 is sounding out of the box good.

we have 6 preamps in the studio Digitech 2101/2112/2120 and the Line6er XT/X3 and now the HD.

And we use in all this preamps the Golbal Eq

Only the HD have not a Global Eq or at least only one good eq. What a shame really cant understand this.

by TheRealZap on 2012-12-27 08:24:23

not that i doubt your abilities, knowledge, or skills....

but this page has helped many people!

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/

by Amon on 2012-12-27 08:51:27

Thanks for the info, i know this really good side , but still not found a solution .

And i refuse to put out my old 31 band Eq or Compressors for the HD, if the HD does not do the job alone like the XT/X3, the HD must go, so simple is that.

But i will give the HD a last chance .

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-27 11:30:21

Just one other point ... if it really is sounding that bad then it may be worth considering a  global settings reset.  Occasionally that has sorted out basic problems with peoples sound.  No guarantees but it does not sound like you have much to loose hold down the 'left' button on the directional keypad and power up the Pod.   This does a global settings reset and can help.  It is also useful if the preset you were working with was corrupt as it jumps you back to patch 1A.  If you use this, you will need to check your global settings to make sure they are how you want them.  You will also need to recalibrate your expression pedal (details here -->http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223). None of your homemade presets will be lost but your setlist names will be renamed to the default names.

If the global reset does not clear it then you can try a safe mode reset.  This time be ready with your PC and USB cable.  Now hold down the 'right' button on the directional keypad and power up the pod.   Connect the USB cable and use Line 6 Monkey to flash-update the firmware on the POD.  Make sure you choose not to overwrite exisiting presets.

As a final thing, if the previous thing fails, repeat the previous process but this time hold down the 'down' button on the directional keypad and power up the pod..  This is a deeper level of safe mode.

In each case:

1)  Power off

2)  Hold down the button and then ...

3)  Power on

4)  wait a few seconds then release the button

Links

">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

by Amon on 2012-12-27 12:48:02

Thanks for your tips, but making allways the lastest Update,drivers,reset when buying a new gear.

I see that will be a really hard job to get the HD sounding like the XT/X3 out of the box.

And the XT/X3 are not perfect but still closer to my real JCM 800 as the HD.

The HD needs strongly better eq and more sustain/tighter bass in the 800 model.

Or much easier the HD needs a XT/X3 mode.

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-12-28 12:50:58

Despite the fact that the POD HD series processors don't have a good EQ, the modeling in the HD is leaps and bounds ahead of the XT. I have to echo what Jim said: if it sounds that bad, then it could be that you're setting something wrong.

I hate the fact that there's no EQ but as soon as I got the HD, I stopped using the XT, or POD FArm generation modeling and started completely from Scratch. I didn't try to recreate the sounds that I had when I was using POD XT or POD Farm. I still have POD Farm and sometimes I try it and I immediately can hear how inferior the modeling is. That has been the conceses with almost all who tried both. sure there are a few that still stick to the XT generation modeling, but that's probably due to having sounds that worked quite well for them. If I happened to fall into this group who were really satisfied, I would have either stuck with the XT or better yet, I would keep both and start using the HD to create new sounds without trying to duplicate prior XT patches. I assure you if you do that, you would send the XT out the door in no time. In a nut shell the XT modeling is old generation modeling and in no way can compete with the realism and the expressiveness of the HD. Try playing finger harmonics with your right thumb and a pick and see how much more variety are in the HD compared to the XT, the sound is simply much more mutli dimentional that it's very hard to miss, unless you're setting up the HD wrong.

by Amon on 2012-12-28 16:17:42

Wow, one week and ive done a Patch in the HD that i like, but still not that XT/X3 (800er model) sound i´m searching for.

Ok 2 different devices 2 different Sounds. So the XT/X3 must stay cause we need this Sound and the HD i must go deeper.

But this HD Eqs are sounding so ugly, and never seen a parametric eq with % display, you dont want to work with them.

And now i must play my real JCM 800 to get back fun again.

by joel_brown on 2012-12-29 07:21:27

It took me almost 3 months to get the sound I wanted.  I about gave up twice, used a lot of profanity, but in the end it was worth it.  I know this is hard to believe right now because it was for me too.  Use the X3, keep plugging away at the PODHD.  It'll happen, just be very patient.

by Amon on 2012-12-29 08:35:38

Yes your right cant believe this cause the HD make me so angry, but if there is a good sound in the HD i will find it and if not, it goes to our bargain table for kids.

It will be a hard time for the HD and i can compare it with 5 other pre amps and 3 real amps.

Cheers

by tdollaway on 2012-12-29 11:37:32

Completely agree, Joel. It took 2 or 3 months to even start to get a handle on how to get a really good tone out of the HD. Not that what I was getting before that was horrible or anything. Just unrefined.  After almost a year of working with it (both live and studio applications), I'm getting much better at shaping the tones that I need.

As far as the EQ's go, yeah the interface isn't the greatest. However, they work. Personally, I don't give a sh1t if it's in % or hz. I twist knobs til it sounds right. It's really not that difficult.

OP: If you X3/XT sounds better, use that instead. Don't attempt to fix what isn't broken.

by Amon on 2012-12-29 17:11:18

I think one of the mysterys of the HD , it is hard to tweak.

Many of his knobs and parameters have a small range of good sounding and this small range changes in different routings,

but allways small.

And the range of bad sounding is to big, so Its like a pin you search in a haystack, but yes you can find this pin in 3-4 months.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.