These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Dual amps - any better than using one amp model in a patch?
by Spiderplayer7 on 2012-12-27 12:59:00

Ok, I've had a good look around the forums etc. and can't really find an answer to this. I've used my HD 500 for about 2 months now and love it - but I'm wondering if there are any real benefits for using dual amps over single amp models in a patch. I'm using studio out as an output mode - my favourite amp for clean sounds at the moment is the Hiway 100 model - I'm using just one of these in the chain. I've tried using dual models of this, and even 1 full amp and one pre-amp as dual tones, but can't really hear much difference.

So, what does anyone recommend? Do dual amps make a big difference or not to anyone's ears? Thanks in advance!

Re: Dual amps - any better than using one amp model in a patch?
by anonyrat on 2012-12-27 13:21:21

Well here are couple of instances when I use dual amps.

a) Often people will use a clean and a crunch amp sound onstage. It is subtle but does fill the sound out and gives the picked notes more clarity.

b) I have set up patches that I call XOVER - These are either the above setup but instead of the amps both being on, here only one amp is on and by setting this up with a FS I can XOVER from say clean to crunch or in some circumstances from variax electric/accoustic to MAGS either with the same amps or with different amps in the case of acoustic / mags.

by hurghanico on 2012-12-27 14:10:09

Spiderplayer7 ha scritto:

...but I'm wondering if there are any real benefits for using dual amps over single amp models in a patch...

.....I'm using just one of these in the chain. I've tried using dual models of this, and even 1 full amp and one pre-amp as dual tones, but can't really hear much difference...

....So, what does anyone recommend? Do dual amps make a big difference or not to anyone's ears?...

I use 2 amps in a patch when I want to mix 2 different amps to get a sound not possible with only one .. and therefore, often I try to mix 2 amps which sound different but somewhat complementary..

I rarely choose 2 identical amp models in a patch, and if I do it, each one will have at least a different cab, mic and other settings..

actually have 2 amps exactly the same in the same patch is quite useless..

in fact, with this technique you can create more or less all the sounds you want.. and probably you can also recreate most of the missing models included in the previous L6 modelers..

by scottyo78 on 2012-12-28 00:54:23

I agree with Hurghanico and...

1) It's a matter of taste... if you like "the sound" then go with it... save and compare your presets (you have a lot of locations).

2) You'll find wonderful presets within the unit and here that use single and dual amps.

3) Dual amps eat up your available DSP (how many effects you can use within a preset).

4) I find that Dual amps sound best (to me) actually using 2 cabs/amps run in stereo (5 or more feet apart). I run a stereo Mosfet amp driving a 4-12 cab and a Fender Stage 112 (clean channel) which sounds sweet to me.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-12-28 02:02:42

Meambobbo uses dual amos to allow him to mix cab and/or microphone models.

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#dualCab">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#dualCab">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/quickGuide#dualCab

Personally I use them when I want to switch from a clean to a dirty tone and use amp modelling rather than a stomp,

by HwyStar on 2012-12-28 05:13:45

Jim:  please expound further about switching from a clean to dirty tone using modeling instead of stomp...

Are you saying it is better to stay in the same patch and use FS1 thru FS5 to select an entirely different sound from clean to distorted?  With a volume increase?

by joel_brown on 2012-12-28 05:59:17

I originally did dual amps but after learning more about how the PODHD worked I was able to get what I wanted with a single amp.  This allowed me much more freedom with how I used differant FX in the chain.  The bad thing about dual amps is you don't have much processing power left.

by scheater5 on 2012-12-28 10:10:24

I use Dual Amps to get two different cabs/mics for my setup.  It's what we used in the studio and I try to replicate it live.  Actually, it kind of drives me crazy that I have to use a dual amp setup for this when I only need different cabs (in some cases, only different mics!!).  It eats up DSP.  Luckily my patches are typically simple, but occasionally sacrifices have to be made.  None of my live patches have reverb on them because of DSP being eaten up by redundant amps.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.