These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Question about setting recording levels with my HD Pro
by 357mag on 2012-12-29 23:25:31

Okay I got a POD HD Pro and I use Reaper to record with. I use the Channel Volume on the HD Pro to set the appropriate level going into Reaper. Problem is when I turn the Channel Volume down to avoid distorting into Reaper, I lose my tone somewhat in the headphones which I don't want.

Is there another way to control the level going into Reaper instead of using the Channel Volume?

Or should I just hike up the Master Volume more to compensate for the loss of Channel Volume?

Re: Question about setting recording levels with my HD Pro
by silverhead on 2012-12-31 15:18:07

I would hike the Master Volume (device Master, not Amp Master) rather than the Channel Volume.

by hurghanico on 2012-12-31 16:45:45

What follows is what happens with the HD500, and I think that's probably the same with the HD PRO:

(assuming that your POD is connected by usb for recording)

the master volume physical knob affects all analog outputs levels including headphones, and does not affect in any way the level of the digital signal such as the one going through the usb ..
therefore, when connected digitally, the master volume knob is just a monitor analog volume control to be adjusted as you like..
the effective fair output level for
recording, as you already did, can be adjusted at the POD internal mixer..

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-12-31 18:14:48

It depends on your setup. Presuming your using USB, from the LINE 6 POD HD driver window you can lower the record send.

by hurghanico on 2012-12-31 18:53:30

DeanDinosaur ha scritto:

...Presuming your using USB, from the LINE 6 POD HD driver window you can lower the record send....

bravo DeanDinosaur!..

yours is the perfect answer and solution

by 357mag on 2012-12-31 21:07:55

Do I have a driver window? I got the rack mounted HD Pro.

I've been doing some looking at Google and such and I don't see such a thing called a driver window.

by hurghanico on 2013-01-01 03:44:36

357mag ha scritto:

...Do I have a driver window?...

Yes, it's called "Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices"..

you can find it in 2 places: in the windows programs menu, folder: Line 6\Tools\... or you can find it in the windows control panel..

one note: credits for the best answer above go to DeanDinosaur!

by DeanDinosaur on 2013-01-01 05:02:20

Happy new year to you and the rest of the nice group of people on this forum who are always available to help.

by hurghanico on 2013-01-01 05:29:17

Thanks for the good wishes ..
Happy New Year also to you that you are part of the same
nice group

by 357mag on 2013-01-01 13:38:56

Nope. I looked in the Windows Control Panel and I don't see anything like a driver window. I looked in the x86 Programs Files and saw a Line 6 Folder but in that there are just .dll files. There is no driver window or a way to lower record send.

Can you be more specific or post a screenshot?

by silverhead on 2013-01-01 14:23:04

If you have a Line 6 driver installed on your Windows system there should (must) be a Control Panel item called Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices. If it is not there you should run Line 6 Monkey and reinstall the Pod HD Pro device driver.

I think that so far we have been assuming that you are using your HD Pro as your audio interface to Reaper, via usb. Is this correct? Because if so, you must already have the driver installed (and hence the Control Panel item) or you would not be able to record at all.

by hurghanico on 2013-01-01 14:47:29

Did you install the device driver?.. I suppose so..

POD driver 4.JPG

below is how its icon looks like:

POD driver.JPG

and here the 2 pages of the driver control panel:

POD driver 2.JPG

POD driver 3.JPG

click above the pics to zoom-in

one note!: the above 2 driver control pages are avaible and visible only with the device connected by usb, and on

by 357mag on 2013-01-01 15:13:28

Okay I found it. I looked in Start - Line 6- Tools. In the Start Menu in other words. I didn't find it in the Control Panel though. So if the record level is too high going into the track in Reaper, I can just turn down the slider that says Record Send Level? If that works that will be great cuz then I won't be sacrificing any volume in my headphones while recording.

by hurghanico on 2013-01-01 15:26:40

357mag ha scritto:

...In the Start Menu in other words. I didn't find it in the Control Panel though. So if the record level is too high going into the track in Reaper, I can just turn down the slider that says Record Send Level?...

I wrote in a previous post to search in the programs menu.. which is a folder of the start menu..

anyway, I have the same driver panel in both places: start menu and control panel

yes, you can just turn down the record send level!

remember: credits go to DeanDinosaur

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.