These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD 2.0, PODxt Family, Pocket POD, FloorPODs

Pod 2.0 is currently busy
by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-31 07:58:16

Trying to connect Pod 2.0 to (now a third two year old) computer via Midi-USB. Midi-ox shows data received when I twiddle the pod's knobs and the two data transmssion lights are now flashing  (that's progress, but its not my laptop (windows Vista OS, or desktop, windows XP). But Line 6 Edit can't connect to the pod. I now get a new message Pod 2.0 is currently busy !!!!

Re: Pod 2.0 is currently busy
by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-31 08:03:15

by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-31 08:04:13

by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-31 08:05:43

Sorry trying to add a screen dump from Midi-ox whilst I change the tone with the up and down buttons on the POD it will not work

by peterbennett26 on 2012-12-31 08:23:12

The really weird thing is that MIDI-OX can see every knob I twiddle on the POD but the line 6 software can not. Its almost like the Line 6's comunication routines written into their software are lacking. Seems like if they got this MIDI-OX guy involved in writing the comunication part of the Line 6 Edit and LIne 6 Monkey software these MIDI-USB problems would disappear.

by BigChas52 on 2012-12-31 09:24:21

A couple of points worth noting.  First, Line 6 gear notoriously does not work consistantly with inexpensive MIDI connectors.  I use a M-Audio Midisport Uno and it works perfectly every time. 

Another thing to consider, when you start up L6 Edit make sure that when you add the POD from the initial menu that you are pointing to the correct MIDI inputs and outputs.  For example, when I go to add my POD 2.0 to Edit, it finds my UX2 as the MIDI In Port, and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as the MIDI Out Port.  These need to be manually pointed to your MIDI connector's ports.

by peterbennett26 on 2013-01-01 08:59:53

BigChas52,

Yes I do that already.  BTW the Midi-ox freeware 'sees' the pod through the cheapo cable and my turning of the knobs, it is just the line 6 edit software that does not.

1.jpg

Data transmisison 'seen'.

3.jpg

turing a few knobs on the pod midi-ox shows these signal commands coming through the interface cable.

4.jpg

bottom few are what happens when the up and own (patch) arrows are pressed.

by BigChas52 on 2013-01-01 15:13:21

How about a screen shot of what you're seeing from the Line 6 Edit config screen?

by peterbennett26 on 2013-01-02 03:31:15

BigChas52

Basically went it hits the device communication problem, I can 'continue' or 'configure'. If I continue on the RHS bottom I get a picture of the pod with a question mark over it. If I configure, then I can try to 'add' the same device again, refresh, or remove and re-add. If I pre-run Midi-Ox then I get the busy & wait message, if I don't then the software fails to see the pod at all, and the software asks if the cables are connected (correctly).

When I attempt to add I can see the correct midi 'ins' and 'outs' (so I'm not selecting something like wavetable synth etc.) in the case of this cable it is USB2.0midi (on both in and out).

Line 6's various software offerrings are generally in a bit of a state, to be honest I don't think they have the in-house resource to address all the valid bug reports (see other posts on library software, edit etc. etc.). As company they should outsource this task to a third party with proven expertise/track record in sorting out this kind of code. However, that would involve money leaving the company, and in the current financial climate I suspect they are loathe to do this. Some of these issues can be down to Microsoft's and Apple's 'moving feasts' in the application notes on their operating systems that they issue to software developers, but others are just down coding issues at the third part (i.e. Line 6). Working through somebody else's code can be a nightmare, it depends how structured the original was and how hacked about it has been.

If you scan about the forum you can for example see a line 6 rep. stating the (e.g. library) software is 'broken' and there is no date at present as to when this might be addressed or fixed !!!

Going off topic, but the Eprom thing (unavailability to upgrade the early POD 2.0 devices)) is another symptom of cutting back on customer care. I would be very surprised if an equivalent Eprom chip is not available, instead what has probably happened is that the deal Line 6 had with some outfit in the Far East has finished (and the last few chips have been dispatched to customers by LIne 6), they can't envisage that there is sufficient residual demand to set up another programming run (that's when the cost per item becomes minimal, hence the original offer of a free upgrade.)

If I were Line 6 I would open a 'statement of interest' list, when numbers on that list becomes large, enough another batch run could be organised and the cost per chip would be peanuts. A similar system is used by prototype developers for PCB manufacturer. To get one board done from the Gerber files is prohibitive for the small developer, but schemes are available where such requests are batched, and then the cost of the  board is minimal.

BTW the cable supplier is taking my cable back, so I can go upmarket.

by BigChas52 on 2013-01-02 05:09:37

I don't know why, but the Line 6 software does seem to be sensitive to the low end MIDI cables.  From what I've heard, some work, and some don't.  I don't expect that Line 6 is going to rewrite the MIDI routines in EDIT.  It has always worked perfectly for me with my M-Audio MIDISport UNO.

by peterbennett26 on 2013-01-02 07:50:29

BigChas52,

I was on the point of ordering that (Line 6 recommended) cable, and then found a couple of recent posts where users had had the same bad experience as I had with the cheapo cable.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.