These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV69US-Electronics not working at all
by ticklemore on 2012-12-31 10:14:17

It acts like there is no battery or an uncharged battery in it.  No response at all when hitting the modeling switch or the battery check light.  Put in two different batteries that the charger indicated were fully charged, and still nothing.  Any hints, clues on what to do?  I unfortunately do not have a non-battery way of powering it accessible to me, unless I took it into a store somewhere, I suppose.

Re: JTV69US-Electronics not working at all
by spikey on 2012-12-31 11:34:26

After two batterys I would not think its another. I would contact tech support or return/exchange it.

by ticklemore on 2012-12-31 15:05:43

My thought too.  Opened ticket last Friday but zero response so far

by gtrman100 on 2012-12-31 17:35:35

Have you tried reflashing it?

by petef on 2013-01-01 05:54:19

Without it being powered, the OP can't reflash the Variax.

Have you tried another 1/4" cable?  Are you using a TRS cable by accident?  Is the 1/4" plug going all the way into the variax?

the ring contact in the guitar jack turns on the Variax (Non VDI use).

Perhaps the internal battery connector plug has pulled out of the circuit board connector (I tried finding an image on the web...no luck).

by silverhead on 2013-01-01 06:04:51

The fact that the battery check light is not working with either of two separate fully charged batteries indicates to me one of three things:

- both batteries, or the battery charger, are faulty;

- there is an internal electronics problem that requires a visit to a Line 6 service centre (http://line6.com/service_centers/);">http://line6.com/service_centers/">http://line6.com/service_centers/);or

- the batterie(s) are simply not inserted properly. Please double check that the batteries are firmly inserted and that the terminals inside the battery compartment are making solid contact.

by ticklemore on 2013-01-03 13:26:38

RIght, I thought the same, I really was careful on how the battery was inserted, so I do not think that is the issue.

On the batteries/charger, the charger acts properly, ie, the lights go on and blink and whatnot consistent with what the charger manual said should happen.  I suppose that could still be possible, though.

What is strange to me is that I used the guitar on Dec 15th at a gig, and it worked fine then.  I put the guitar in the gigbag and went home, and did not pick it up over the holidays until the 28th or so.  At that time, it was not working.  I chalked it up to a drained battery over the past two weeks, so I put the other previously charged one in and began charging the original.  Still nothing.  I looked at the charger, and it indicated that it was charging the first battery, and after a few hours I tried that one.  Nothing.  Hard to attribute that to the batteries or charger.  Unless 1) the first battery coincidentally discharged over the two weeks (unlikely as it was almost full up when I went to the gig, and I only used the modeling for one song in a 50 minute set), and 2) the charger had previously failed and charged neither the 2nd battery nor the first, even though the light indicates normal operation. 

Seem more likely that something in the guitar has messed up?  Maybe I should try to take it to a store where there is a known working battery and try that one, or maybe try to power it via an HD500.

by silverhead on 2013-01-03 15:01:02

ticklemore wrote:

..... Maybe I should try to take it to a store where there is a known working battery and try that one, or maybe try to power it via an HD500.

Yes - if there's a store nearby I would do this. And I would try both a known working battery and an HD500 with VDI (bring a standard Ethernet cable with you for the test). I have a Variax 300 that works only with VDI - the battery circuit is toast.

by spikey on 2013-01-04 14:55:50

Have you tried a different duplex outlet to charge the battery? Or power strip (if using one)... Maybe that AC outlet is bad? Ive seen power strips light up and appear to be working when they are not.

by ticklemore on 2013-01-07 11:14:19

To all interested - I took one of the batteries that showed as fully charged in the charger to a store and tried it in a JTV 59.  It powered up the guitar fine.  Looks like the guitar is the problem.

by ChristophK on 2013-01-09 14:02:46

Just a wild guess: Have you tried pushing the model selector switch really hard? I have returned two Korean JTV-69s here in Germany to the seller because the switches either would not power on at all the modeling or worked only if pushed uncomfortably hard. Other customers have experienced the same problem according to the German forum www.line6forum.com.

And PS: You sure have a guitar cable inserted and the volume knob off the 0 position to power on the guitar?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.