These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Force and Don't Force w/ JTV and HD500
by tomcharles1 on 2013-01-02 14:57:38

Hello all!  I just recently bought a JTV-59s and I love it!  I have been using the HD500 for a while now and have just started learning how to set up the POD to control the JTV.  On one bank I have a straight acoustic patch set up on on preset FS8 that forces the Variax to the Acoustic-4 model.  That seems to work ok,  the issue is when I switch to another preset on the same bank I want to Variax to go back to whatever setting it had before switching to the forced acoustic-4 on the FS8 preset.  For example, I may be playing an overdriven Lester-2 on FS6 (not forced) then switch to FS8 (the forced acoustic-4), but when I switch back to FS6 I get an overdriven acoustic-4!! It keeps the acoustic-4 model until I manually change it back with the toggle switch on the guitar.  :-(

Is this "as designed" or am I missing something?   I'd rather not have to "force" every preset to get the configuration I want. 

Any help would be very much appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: Force and Don't Force w/ JTV and HD500
by silverhead on 2013-01-02 16:03:53

Unfortunately, the HD500/JTV interaction does not support the concept of returning to the previous JTV model. The models are controlled in two ways: manually and preset storage. Once a preset has loaded a specific JTV model (like Acoustic-4) the JTV retains that model until it is changed again, either manually or by loading a new preset. There is no option, when loading a preset, to return the JTV to some previous setting.

by tomcharles1 on 2013-01-03 09:08:30

Thanks - that is what I suspected.   Maybe this could be an enhancement request for a future release?  Is there a way to formally request enhancements?

by silverhead on 2013-01-03 09:10:24

Yes - here:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

by CACHERA on 2013-01-04 00:19:46

You can try the dual tone. You have only the mag pickup but you can switch and mix the acoustic model and the electric mag pickup my the pedal.

Sure you cannot choose two modelised guitars.

by killergege on 2013-01-04 08:24:11

I also absolutely hate the current behaviour as the "physical" status of the guitar doesn't reflect the "electronic" status when nothing is forced and would also like to see the described behaviour implemented. I submitted a similar feature request a few months ago... Let's hope they'll hear us !!

Today I use more patches that I should only because I need to force a model change on one of them...

by silverhead on 2013-01-04 09:01:06

killergege wrote:

I also absolutely hate the current behaviour as the "physical" status of the guitar doesn't reflect the "electronic" status ...

Should this also apply to other devices - that the current physical status of any switch/knob/button should override any stored/saved value for the associated parameter? In other words, should my HD500 behave such that the stored preset values for Drive, Bass, Treble, Volume, etc.... should be ignored when a preset is loaded and the unpredictable current physical settings of these knobs should override the stored values?

Today I use more patches that I should only because I need to force a model change on one of them...

Isn't that exactly why you have saved so many HD500 patches - so that you can force a change in all these parameters? That's how you force a change in an amp model - you switch to a preset with the desired model selected/saved. Why shouldn't the same thinking apply to a guitar model?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.