These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-69 (Korean): popping sound when picking hard
by solidjiver on 2013-01-03 04:57:23

Hello all,

I bought my JTV-69 about a year ago and I'm still very pleased with it (I also have a HD500 and a DT25). However, there is one issue: when I'm picking hard, there's an annoying 'popping' sound. This occurs most often on the G-string and can be heard better on some models (e.g. on the Les Paul the popping sound can be heard best).

I made a quick mp3 in garageband, you will find it attached to this post (I picked almost all the notes quite hard, just to demonstrate the issue).

I don't think this is normal. Is it a known issue? Do you think it is repairable?

Thanks.

Re: JTV-69 (Korean): popping sound when picking hard
by phil_m on 2013-01-03 06:21:15

It sounds to me like what you're hearing is the slight piezo plink that sometimes comes through. It for the most part has been eradicated, but it's still there depending on several variables - pick attack, the type of pick you use and string type, for example. I'd say there's nothing really abnormal about it, it's just an inherent issue with piezo pickups. Line 6 and L.R. Baggs have gone a long way to reduce it on the JTVs, but there's still going to some. To me, it's one of things that the audience won't notice, and something that I only rarely notice while playing my JTV (a JTV69US).

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-03 06:37:20

make sure you're updated to 1.9 as well....

they've addressed some of this and it's relation to palm muting explicitly.

by phil_m on 2013-01-03 06:44:58

True dat... Oddly enough, the only models I ever really notice any plink at all are the single coil ones - the Strat and Tele. But even then, it's only in certain situations - mainly when I try to do Edge-like dotted-eight percussive stuff. But even doing that with regular magnetics can be somewhat "plinky".

by solidjiver on 2013-01-03 09:33:41

Thanks for your replies. I will experiment with other picks and other models. I only experience the pops when picking with a certain attack, so it's something I can avoid normally.

I have the latest firmware installed BTW.

by haller88 on 2013-01-03 16:45:36

I just put in a technical support request on the same issue with my JTV-69 in conjunction with the HD500.  You really pick it up on the single coil models (not with the actually pickups on the guitar) and cleaner patches.  It is really nasty and appears to be clipping.  I adjust the volumes back down and mysterously the volumes move back up and you get clipping when you pick hard.  This is with the most recent patch and not earlier patches (I went back to 1.82 and it is fine but the patch has other less annoying issues).  You aren't going crazy - I will let you know if I get any satisfication from Line 6 support....

by solidjiver on 2013-01-05 04:36:16

Thanks! I just did some testing and it appears that you're right. When playing through my DT25 without the HD500, there's no popping. So it has to be some kind of clipping indeed.

Turns out I posted in the wrong forum, not a Variax problem, but a pod HD one

Thank you for informing me about the reply you'll get from Line 6 support haller88.

by haller88 on 2013-01-05 10:08:59

I think this is actually a Variax 1.9 patch issue as it goes away completely going back to the 1.82 patch (that's what I am using now with no issue) - but you need to have the Variax connected to the HD500 at the same time - software issues are the most difficults when you have interactions between equipment...

I just got a response for more info from Line 6 -> I will keep you posted on progress...

by solidjiver on 2013-01-29 11:13:21

Hey haller88, any news yet?

by Nipp on 2013-01-29 12:26:56

A real hard picking makes string more rapidly loose amplitude - this could be mixed up with palm muting.

Desire to improve palm muting might be the cause.

Some settings when palm muting kicks in, might be needed.

As far as I found out in my thread about settings for palm muting - nobody could confirm there are any.

Just a thought....

by mikedelg on 2013-02-04 07:55:11

Hi guys,

I have the same issue - very annoying.  This is basically a show stopper for me as the poor sound quality negates the flexability.  Plugging straight into the amp works fine, the HD500 in the loop (hooked up via line 6 propreity connection - not 1/4") causes the grief.

I see the thread is marked as answered but I don't see any hard resolution except for going back to firmware 1.82

Sorry if I have missed something in the thread - is there another solution ?

by Melissiah on 2013-02-04 08:14:34

I fixed it by lowering piezzos volume in string by string setting in workbench

by solidjiver on 2013-04-10 06:17:34

Thanks, that did it. I had to lower string volume to 65% to make the popping sound disappear.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.