These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

MIDI sequenced patch/parameter and guitar model/tuning changes for live use
by tomkiefer on 2013-01-06 10:40:49

I currently use Apple's Logic Pro 9 for live use using backing tracks and sequenced MIDI program changes to automatically switch my guitar patches and change various effects parameters as I play. It's great, as I just start the song and play my guitar, all my guitar sounds change automatically as the song plays. Now I'm curious if I would be able to have this same scenario if I incorporate a JTV guitar and a Pod HD500. I want to be able to send MIDI commands to this setup and have the guitar change from acoustic to electric during a song, or from one tuning to another, while simultaneously changing the patch and/or effects parameters of the HD500. About a year ago I believe this was not possible using the firmware available at that time, but it looks like I might be able to do this using the latest firmware updates. Thank you!

Re: MIDI sequenced patch/parameter and guitar model/tuning changes for live use
by phil_m on 2013-01-06 11:55:18

You could basically do what you want. Changing the guitar model and the tuning would be done by changing presets on the HD500, and to do that via MIDI is simply a matter of sending PC messages. So you wouldn't be controlling the Variax directly with MIDI, but rather you'd have to save the presets on the HD500 with the tunings and guitar models you want, and when you call that preset up, the Variax will change (you have to set the presets to force the Variax to change when setting them up).

Changing parameters of effects in real-time via MIDI is a bit more limited. As long as you don't want to get too carried away, it can be done in a workaround way, but the HD500 doesn't directly give you access to effect parameter via MIDI. What it does do, however, is allow you control the expression pedal controllers with MIDI. So you can assign whatever parameters you want to control to the expression pedals EXP1 and EXP2, and then control those with a MIDI CC. The other thing that you can do with the Variax is turn the tone and volume controls off while using the modeled guitars and assign those to control parameters in the HD500 preset. So in essence, those knobs become like expression pedals.

by tomkiefer on 2013-01-06 14:59:31

That's good about the MIDI controlling the HD500 and in turn controlling the Variax - that makes perfect sense in how it would be done in a typical scenario using manual control, which in fact is also something I need for some songs that don't use any backing tracks. For the sequenced songs, the majority of what I've automated in my current setup is to have effects within a patch turn on and off at different intervals during a song, or maybe the volume adjusted, just like one would do with regular stomp boxes and an expression pedal. Can these functions be easily done using MIDI control? I do have a few situations, not too many, where I would need to do the expression pedal/CC type of workaround you suggest in order to manipulate a specific effect parameter - so thanks for that. It all sounds do-able, which is the answer I was looking for.

by phil_m on 2013-01-06 15:40:28

Individual effects can be turned on and off within a preset by MIDI CC commands, so that part should work like you want, too. The HD500's MIDI map is explained on page B-2 of the Advanced Guide.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.