These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Very Disapointed in JTV. Returned mine, should I try another?
by adessmith on 2013-01-08 07:30:47

Ive been a huge advocate of Line 6 products for years.
I have had owned the following products:

Pod 2.0

Pod XT

Pod XTL

Pod X3L

XDS-95 (X2 wireless unit)
Relay-G30

XDR-955 (3 of these)
Backtrack+mic

and the JTV-59

Given my positive experiences with Line 6, I drooled over the Variax guitars for years, but had concerns about the quality of the original stuff and didnt like the style or compromizing magnetic pickups.
When the JTV series came out, I thought the JTV-59 was my "dream guitar". After saving for several years I hesitantly sold my schecter C1+ (only electric I had) to get the last bit of cash to order the JTV.... (Yes, I HAD that much faith in their products).
I LOVE the idea of the JTV, in combination with the VDI connection. And in MOST respects, I am still a big fan of it... There have been a few little things I didnt like, But I have been faced with one GLARING problem, and I am afraid its inherent to the design of the guitar.

I opened a support case the within a few days, because when using the electric models with high gain amp models, the D string had an overbearing overtone which was so bad it even showed up on a digital tuner. When you pluck the D string, the correct note rings out for about 1/2 a second, then it "morphs" into an "A" note. It does this with all the other strings muted, so I know it's not another string vibrating.
We went back and forth for weeks. They had me make and upload recordings through my POD, upload copies of my patches, try different things, etc...
Several times there were days (as much as a week) before they got back to my case, and JUST before my return period was over, they concluded I would need to send it to them for repair. They have an idea of what might be wrong with it, but it would take up to 3 weeks (4 if you include transit) to get it back to me. I save for 2 years, buy a BRAND new guitar, and then because it is deffective I have to wait a month to get it fixed?
At this point I decided to return it to the shop where I bought it, because turn around would be much quicker.

They want to give me credit back and let me re-order it. Now I am trying to decide, when I get the credit, do I want to try my luck again, or go a different route.

If the JTV would work like it is supposed to, I would be in love with it... its the perfect solution for me.

I had been thinking about saving to upgrade from the X3L to the HD500, but I've seen people saying Roland has some nice processors that do a good job with BOTH guitar and amp modeling.
I might consider selling my X3L, and getting a Roland product and a Gibson LP (insead of a replacement JTV) to replace my entire setup.

My biggest concern is getting a good LP sound (with alternate tunings on-the-fly), and a really good simulated acoustic sound, using the least amount of equipment possible.
I would love to have a looper as well, but its not necessary.

Any suggestions out there?  Any opinions on the Roland GR-55?
Should I give the JTV another shot? I have read a lot of problems here. I have seen some stories of problems somewhat similar to mine, but my problem sounds a little different.

Re: Very Disapointed in JTV. Returned mine, should I try another?
by DrFunk on 2013-01-08 15:36:51

Hi Adessmith,

Honest post by you. I will try my best to return it in kind...I think it would be more than worth trying another JTV. Obviously, you got a lemon. And, it is true there are a lot of horror stories about new JTVs in this very site. But please keep in mind many of the posters are here to complain about problems or get ideas about fixing things that have gone wrong. You have to realize that the vast majority of us have no problems with our JTVs and they sound fine, play well and are for the most part, problem free.

I had the Variax 700 and I really liked it. The Line 6 models were and are quite good,but the JTV guitars are much better. They look better, they play better and IMO sound better...You are getting a single cutaway 2 humbucker guitar which plays and sounds very much like a Les Paul and you are paying half the price and it certainly looks as good if not better than a Les Paul standard plus top. (which costs ~$2,500 new) And, you get an additional 25 guitars- pretty much the history of electric and acoustic guitars from a guitar Hall of Fame and a banjo and a Coral Sitar, resonators etc.! And, you can set up individual tunings for each if you like and have instant access to any of them with Pod HD 500 (with 512 individualized tunings with your selected instrument, pick-up positions, amp/cabinets with settings and really world class effects set any where you like in the signal chain + programmable Efx loops you can put before or after the amp(s) wherever you choose so that you can still use your favorite foot pedals in the signal chain- when and if you so choose. The whole deal all from one footswitch press from the HD500. (notice I have not even mentioned what this button press can also do with DT amps...don't even get me stqrted on that)

What...are you nuts? A JTV guitar if all is working as it should- feels, sounds and plays as well as a Les Paul. The models are quite accurate. People can't tell that you are playing a modelling guitar in a live mix, or recorded (unless people are watching you closely and realize that perfect Strat or Tele sound could not be coming from a Les Paul). The Paul models are pretty dead-on too.And you can swap out pickups in Workbench to your hearts content. Really man, are you kidding? this is not even a fair comparison... And it is a fine guitar on its own just with the mag pickups..A Fine .Axe,really!

Roland products. I like them too. I had the original VG8 COSM modelling processor with GK pickup and I moved on the the VG88. I liked the models but not nearly as much as I like the Line 6 models. I don't think they really improved their models much with the VG99 or the GR55 but  the housings are smaller have more expressive controllers and the GR55 adds synth tones which is nice. Also the Rolands all have full Midi implementation if you want to go out to other ~rackmount synths, samplers,Efx etc. But I think Line 6's guitar models are more accurate/ sound better. And the instant recall of any of their models with potentially 512 tunings if you were that motivated is the clincher

The more I think about this...I realize your question seems silly to me. I am not putting you down. Just think about all a normal functioning JTV can do, then with a Pod HD500...This is not a fair comparison, nor is this really a useful question by you. A better question would be...How long until my new JTV comes and can I afford an HD500 now?  Or,(What am I willing to trade in towards getting one)! Sorry I did not even get around to the Acoustics and what you can do to get the best tone with them. Ask again about that if you are still interested. From what it looks like from here, man,,,

Enjoy your New JTV and don't second guess yourself. You won't regret this decision!

Highest regards from many satisfied JTV owners.

Funky

by dennisrford on 2013-01-08 16:51:47

My 2 cents:

I've used Boss gear for years.  My current rig is a Roland GR55 and a guitar with a GK pickup.

A few months ago I bought a used JTV-89/HD500 setup.  Long story short, I didn't think it was sufficiently better sounding than the Roland to justify dealing with the (what I perceive to be) shortcomings of the LIne 6 products.  The JTV just seems noisy (hissy, scratchy) to me.  Maybe I need to adjust, clean, replace some of the piezo elements, or something like that.

Admittedly, the JTV has more guitar models and the HD500 has more buttons so you can control more effects.  However, I'm sticking with the Roland because it does what I need with less hassle. ymmv.

I know this is a Line 6 board and I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bashing anyone--just reporting my experience.

by phil_m on 2013-01-08 17:04:35

I guess I don't understand why you wouldn't give it another shot if you have as much interest in it as you say you do. If you get it and it doesn't work out, return it. Ultimately, it's only your opinion that matters when it comes to the gear you own, anyway. Personally, I love my JTV69. I play it more than any of my other electrics currently, and my other guitars aren't exactly dogs. But that's just my experience, and I can only speak for myself.

by DrFunk on 2013-01-08 17:42:36

"If the JTV would work like it is supposed to, I would Love it...It's the perfect solution for me"

I am quoting you dude!  On here you will get many opinions...All of them are right for each one...and none is really better than another's opinion. What is best for you is what is right.

I  forgot to add in my earlier post- that if you like, you can always add a GK pickup to a JTV if that is what you want to do and then go into a GR55 or play the Line 6 models or layer with a Roland model, or synth, or the mag PUPs on the JTV. The possibilities are endless. MerlinFl on this site does this with his 2 JTVs. Send him a message if you are interested in this direction,but... Listen to your heart...choose what you really would like. Its that simple. Play your heart out,and by all means- have fun! What else is all this about if not Fun and Joy?

Don't listen to any of us... listen to your Heart only, man. You can't go wrong with that.

Good for you in whatever you choose to do!

Funky

by adessmith on 2013-01-09 04:57:59

Yeah, I guess I'm just second guessing myself.

It just put me "up in arms" when I read so many issues, chalked it up to "You dont get many satisfied customers on forums", and ordered anyway.... Then had problems. (I am one of those guys that posts on the forums either way)

When I said "If the JTV would work like it is supposed to, I would Love it...It's the perfect solution for me"... I wasn't sure if any of them "work like they are supposed to"...
There are a lot of products on the market that make big claims, and never live up to it. Just wasnt sure if I've been expecting too much from this guitar.

The problem really stood out to me, where several people have noticed this same problem.
One said they went into a store and tried several, and they all had the same problem.

Maybe it was just a bad batch, and every one they had came off of that run (and maybe mine did also)

I just have a difficult time believing that they all do this, and some people just dont notice it... it's not something subtle in my opinion.

It just sounds like there are SOME people that have tried the Roland stuff and like it better... and I dont see as many problems with that stuff.

However, it seems that more people say the JTV sounds better. Either way, it sounds like the Roland is a good option...

I think I will give it another try, hopefully I wont get another dud. If I have to send IT back, I think I'll give the GR55 a shot.

As far as a good acoustic tone, I was never completely satisfied with what I got, but I think I just need to fiddle with my patch in the X3. I'll probably post another thread on that later.

by Leftzilla on 2013-01-09 07:00:29

Definitely give the JTV 59 another shot.  I have owned a lot of line 6 gear including a VAC and VAX700 and I can definitely agree that the JTV is an improvement in both playability and sound.  I have had mine for almost a year and a half, and even though it was a model with the old pick up switch it still operates flawlessly.

Roland makes great equipment and as other people have said it boils down to you're own personal preference.  Both systems have advantages over the other so give them a try.  Personally I didn't like the tracking of the Roland system I tried.  Which of course could just be the opposite side of the coin of the problem you had with the particular JTV-59

by kylesalone on 2013-01-10 13:42:14

I've had zero problems with my jtv69. Loved everything except the neck.. I swaped that out for a mighty mite strat and now its a keeper.

by snhirsch on 2013-01-10 14:24:35

I'll join the list of satisfied JTV-69k owners.  After replacing the OEM neck with a Mighty-Mite strat neck it's become my main instrument.  I'm a bit puzzled by all the ranting and complaining about overtones, false notes, etc, etc.  The fact that you can fit such a huge amount of signal processing in a guitar and sell it at an affordable price is amazing to me.  Even ten years ago it would have seemed like Sci-Fi. 

There are some practical limits to what digital signal processing can accomplish.  A "do what I mean" feature would be great, but until that's developed (along with the mind-reading add-on) there are some constraints on what you can expect the synthesis function to infer from your playing.  Small amounts of open-string sound or misfretting that you wouldn't notice on a conventional instrument will often cause tracking problems.  There's no question that you have to adjust your playing style, pick attack and perhaps even string height to work with the instrument.  I don't find that it's been that big a deal, though.  Well worth the effort for the results that come out of the speaker!

Disclaimer:  Most of my work towards getting accurate tracking has involved 12-string sounds.  I have not worked extensively with the alternate tunings and can well imagine that they are perhaps fussier in terms of requiring "clean" playing. 

by adessmith on 2013-01-10 18:16:54

I will say, if all the "ranting and complaining" was the same issue I had, then it's a REAL problem.

However, my suspicion at this point is their problems may be much less severe than mine. I am willing to compromise a little due to the flexibility of the guitar, but this was something I just could not live with. It was like, every time I hit that string, a very strong harmonic was sounding. Similar to playing a harmonic at the 7th frett (but there was no fret buzz)

It was the most annoying problem I have ever expeienced on any instrument. It always sounded like I was standing 6" away from a marshal stack cranked to 11 with crazy feedback. (Even through my POD with headphones on)

by snhirsch on 2013-01-11 05:11:40

I didn't mean to minimize your problem - I realize it came across that way.  Your false note may have been caused by a mechanical resonance somewhere.  Did you inspect the bridge closely to see if there was a burr or other manufacturing problem on the individual piece under the D string?  Is it possible that the piezo element was loose in the surrounding assembly and able to vibrate on its own uncoupled to the guitar?  Did you try putting a bit of foam rubber under the strings between the tuning machines and the nut?  Sometimes you can get sympathetic vibrations at that point.  How about raising the action or trying a different set of strings?  I've seen broken or loose windings on lower strings cause problems even with conventional instruments.

by jcosta_sr on 2013-01-14 16:10:55

adessmith - don't confuse customer service and the pain of having to return the product with the playability/usability of the guitar.  I have both the Variax 700 and just bought the JTV-69k and I am in love.  I have a PRS, US Strat and an mid 70's Lester.  Currently, my strategy is that my JTV will be my main gigging guitar and my PRS is a back up.  The rest I will use in recording.  To be honest, I have been a Line 6 user since the Pod Pro.  I have only a couple of issues with their products.  1.  the cheap foot switches on the X3L    2.  The USB/Recording problems with the X3L (Both cases Line 6 replaced repaired at no cost).  Other than that I have not had a problem that I didn't self induce..........

I guess what I am saying.........As a fellow guitarist I can imagine how frustrated you must feel, selling you guitar saving money to get your new Ax.  To start playing with it and finding these problems, I addition to dealing with Line 6 and the 4 week delay.  Which I am guessing would leave you guitarless.  I would be pissed.  However, if you really felt that the JTV was going to meet your needs, it probably will.  Because I can tell you my JTV-69 is a joy to play. 

by adessmith on 2013-01-16 14:02:58

All the positive comments here have made me feel a little better.

I'm still waiting for my refund (have been without the guitar now for 10 days).
I called to check on it today and apparently the returns department is behind because of Christmas.
They said it will likely be tomorrow before I get credit.

Even with all its problems, I am still missing the guitar, so I guess that says something.
I cant wait to get my hands on one that works.

I found someone locally that has a used JTV-59 in "brand new condition" and a Line 6 "Jam Amp" which they want to sell together for a couple hundred less than I paid for my 59.
I'm trying to work out a time that I can go check it out... I might end up going that route when I get my credit.

I have kept my eye on craigslist for the last year or so, I never saw one in my area until now. I've also been needing to get a practive amp to keep at home, this might be just the ticket!

by Stueyd on 2013-01-17 07:11:51

Just to add my 2 cents...

I'm glad I hadn't read all the horror stories when I ordered my Korean JTV-59 as i may not have gone for it !

I had tried a number of JTV-69s in local stores and they were just horrible to play. The 59, although a little heavier than I would like and missing out on a trem (which I do like to use) was just lovely.

I own some pretty high end guitars and my 59 doesn't look or feel like cheap junk compared to them.

It seems from all the postings on the forum that quality control is rather patchy, but good guitars do leave the factory. I know coz I got one!

So certainly, give Line 6 a chance and try finding a good 'un. I love having 28 instruments just a knob turn away...

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-17 07:16:53

I love my variaxes... also love the visual here:

<a target=new href=http://www.exit45.com/shared/VariaxPoster.jpg" class="jive-image" src="http://www.exit45.com/shared/VariaxPoster.jpg"/>

kind of adds a little charm to turning the dial.

by phil_m on 2013-01-17 08:42:34

The factory that makes the Korean JTVs is the same factory that makes the SE PRS guitars. And from what I've seen from that line, they generally aren't crap instruments. I just think that given the complexities of putting a bunch of electronics in an electric guitar and dealing different designs, there's going to be bumps in the manufacturing process. Unfortunately, in mass produced items, it just happens.

Not apples to apples, but I read a report recently that listed the reliability of different laptop manufacturers. It looked at the percentage of people that will have to have service on a laptop over its lifetime, and even the best rated brands were at like 14% or something. The industry average was above 18%. So that means, if you buy a laptop, generally there's about a 1 in 5 chance that you'll need to send it in for service sometime. And that doens't include people who have problems that they don't get fixed. Now I don't think the failure rate of the Variax is nearly this high, but it just shows the nature of production when it comes to electronics.

by snhirsch on 2013-01-17 09:36:14

Stueyd wrote:

I had tried a number of JTV-69s in local stores and they were just horrible to play.

The stock neck is somewhat of an acquired taste.  You may have felt differently if you played a JTV-69 that's been retro-fitted with a strat neck and setup properly.

by phil_m on 2013-01-17 10:04:38

I don't know, I really like the neck on my 69 a lot. Before getting my Variax, I played a Strat probably 80% of the time, and I had no issues with the Variax neck. It is a bit narrower at the nut, but I can't really say I've been bothered by it. I play my Variax a majority of the time I play electric now. I have seen some Variaxes with with sharp fret edges at Guitar Center, though. Mine's a US version with a quarter sawn maple neck, so that does make some difference, but I believe the profile and fret width are the same.

JTV2.JPG

by merman_96 on 2013-01-17 12:56:16

I had issues with new Line 6 gear in the past, but they have always come through, and done the right thing in the end. I had to make the decision of returning a DT-50, that locked up when updating new firmware, to the retailer, or having Line 6 send me a call tag and wait it out. I sent it back to Line 6 so that they could also attempt to resolve the issue for any other users who had the same problem. It took a few weeks, and in the end Line 6 sent me a new DT -50.

I own the "Dream Rig" +. I have a JTV 89, DT-50 2–12, DT-25, and HD500. The + is that I actually have another set of amps, a second DT50 2-12, and a second DT-25. I also own  the latest Roland gear, the GR55, a Roand gc 1 strat, and many guitars with 13 pin output. It's not really a fair comparison between a JTV with a HD500, and Roland Gr or vg gear.

As far as modeling, to my ears, the HD 500 amp models sound more defined than the amp models in the Gr55, way more defined. The guitar models, especially the acoustics, in the JTV 89, sound better than the guitar models in the Gr55. I have a feeling that after NAMM next week, line 6 JTV users will be receiving free HD model upgrades that will really up the ante.

I have always believed the downside to Line 6's philosophy was having to use their guitars, while Roland allows you to use your guitars to access the technology. But Line 6 has chosen a very good designer, and a very good Asian factory to make their guitars, and their customer service, and quality control is unsurpassed. The majority of the issues on these forums get resolved. That is awesome. That is the differance between a good and great company.

If you are looking for the best modeling guitar on the market, try another JTV. Choose a reputable retailer and verify the return policy. I honestly feel you would have been ok by sending the guitar back to Line 6, but I understand.

If you are interested in guitar synthesis, that's really another issue. It doesn't look like you'll be playing a baby grand on a Line 6 unit any time soon. But if you want a reasonably priced modeling guitar, look  no further than Line 6.

by MWolfkiel on 2013-01-17 13:02:35

FYI or to add my 2 cents...

I am alot like you in that I have been watching the Variax for years and finally decided to pull the trigger. My first JTV59 needed to be sent back due to a software glitch, but my replacement has been awesome. There are definitley growing pains (or a steep learning curve) with it, and as an ADD addled adult it can get frustrating But I am learning to use it and get more and more out of it everyday. Being able to switch between accoustic rhthym playing and a nice electric lead tone with the tap of my HD500 has openned p a whole new set of songs I never attempted before. That alone is worth the price of admission for me. But then being able to only bring 1 guitar to band practice and be able to dial up She Talks to Angels in open E, follow that with Can't Get Enough in open G, then a drop D song, or a standard tuning song and not miss a beat is great. Stick with it, you've come this far.

by snhirsch on 2013-01-18 05:30:26

Given the almost 4:1 difference in price, I expect the US James Tyler guitars undergo much more stringent quality control and setup.  Put somewhat differently: If I spent $4k+ on an instrument that played like my JTV-69k out of the box, it would have gone right back to the retailer. 

With the MIghty-Mite neck and some judicious setup and tweaking, mine plays like a charm now.  I have not had any electronic glitches other than the obviously chronic issues with the model selector knob push-switch.  It took about 2 minutes to shim the knob and it's been fine since.  I suspect Line-6 had a run of knobs that were slightly out-of-tolerance.  Not an earthshaking issue.

by phil_m on 2013-01-18 06:31:48

Sure, I agree with you. All I was saying is that the neck profiles on the JTV69 and JTV69US are fundamentally the same, and with a proper setup and fretwork, there's no reason the Korean JTV69 should be that different than the US version.

by adessmith on 2013-01-20 16:20:06

Ok, I ended up getting the used 59 and the spider jam amp for $1,000!

I found a hard case for $50, I'm going to order a VDI cable from best-tronics, and I get to pocket the rest of the difference.
Seems to be in perfect shape, Everything is working great.

The Spider Jam amp is a great little practice amp too!

I played for hours last night and I am LOVING it.

The amp has a strange vibration in the cabinet, but I can put pressure in a certian spot and make it go away, so I know its just something loose somewhere and shouldnt be a big deal.

In the end, everything seems to have worked out great. I was able to try out the guitar and make my purchase feeling good about what I was getting.

I have already put my strap locks on it, replaced the tuners with grover rotomatic locking tuners (which were direct drop in replacements), and restrung with my prefered strings.
I played it durring our church service this morning, and it worked out great!

So glad I decided to give the JTV another shot!
Now I just need to decide if I am going to go after the HD500, or stick with my X3L.
I love the X3L.... but I've heard great things about the HD500, and I've never regretted any of my POD upgrades in the past (and I've used 4 different ones). Every one of them have been worthwhile upgrades, and I have no reason to believe the HD500 will be any different.

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-21 05:51:11

adessmith wrote:

. Every one of them have been worthwhile upgrades, and I have no reason to believe the HD500 will be any different.

the 500 is alot different in many ways... i'd certainly encourage you to dig up and evaluate those differences before hand...

there's a few things you give up, and a few things that work radically different....

the variax integration, future support, and sound quality all favor the 500 though... just sayin.... know what you're getting

by YirWaffy on 2013-01-21 07:28:42

Great news, Ade! Glad it worked out for you.

I'm going to take a look at the JTV-89FR that's going to be announced at NAMM this week. I'll likely give one a try. I think the convenience of the HD500 powering the JTV would be reason enough to get it

by adessmith on 2013-01-21 08:54:05

YirWaffy wrote:

I think the convenience of the HD500 powering the JTV would be reason enough to get it

Some people don't realize this, but the X3L does have a variax connection, and powers the JTV just fine.
I believe the HD500 is the only "current" model POD which sports the variax connection, but the discontinued X3L has it as well.
I use it exclusively to connect my JTV to my X3L.

The one thing, though, you cant do is change the tunnings with the X3L. You have to use the knob on the guitar to do that.

I believe the HD500 is capable of this...

Does the HD500 do bass amp models? I use my X3L to record bass frequently. I dont have a bass amp, or any other method to get a good tone for bass, so this could be a real deal breaker for me.
Also, does it have the preamp models like the X3L? I run my acoustic tones through one of the preamp models...

by phil_m on 2013-01-21 09:01:05

The HD Pro is another current model that has the VDI as well as the HD500. But the HD500 is the only floor-based model.

There is one bass amp model (Ampeg Flip Top) on the HD500, and there is a preamp model (its in the effects section).

by silverhead on 2013-01-21 09:06:02

The HD Pro has the VDI connection as well.

Arguably, the X3L supports bass, vocal, and acoustic better than the HD. However, the HD series includes two Bass amps: the Fender Tweed and the Ampeg FlipTop. It also has one mic/studio preamp for acoustic tones. I have used the Pod HD for vocals and acoustic and it performs very well - it's just that there isn't the number of bass amps and preamps that the X3 has, and there are fewer good presets aimed at that. However, like the HD vs. X3 in general, many people prefer fewer amps of higher quality than more amps of lesser quality. That's certainly the case with bass/acoustic/vocal support in the HD vs. X3.

by adessmith on 2013-01-21 09:18:59

I always forget about the pro units...

I don't have big requirements for the bass and vocal preamps, so as long as there is an option I should be ok.

I will probably look into it.

by YirWaffy on 2013-01-22 07:23:08

Thanks, I didn't know this, Ade. I don't have an X3L. I wonder if the jack for the Floor Board on my Flextone II will power the JTV?  Of course, then I couldn't use the Floor Board.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.