These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider IV with an MK2 pedal sound cuts out.
by thecommd on 2013-01-08 09:21:13

I have the above equipment and the sound will intermittantly cut out. I have to re punch the channel on eht pedal to get the sound to come back.

Any suggestions ??

Jeff

Re: Spider IV with an MK2 pedal sound cuts out.
by fflbrgst on 2013-01-09 05:28:37

Does it happen when you don't have the FBV controller connected?   If not, it may be a defective CAT5 cable.  If it does, you can first try a factory reset on the amp, to see if that cures the problem.

by pwarren1516 on 2013-01-09 18:29:00

I just bought a used Spider iv 15 from a local music store and am having the same issue.  I don't have a pedal but I have to re-select the channel when sound cuts out.  I tried a factory reset and am still having the same problem.

by fflbrgst on 2013-01-10 05:40:51

Spider 15's are not factory servicable, so bring it back to where you bought it for exchange.

by pwarren1516 on 2013-01-10 17:39:18

After getting the channels set the way I want it only seems to do it when I mess with the reverb nob.  I only paid $60 bucks for it, so I will just keep it for now.  It sounds great besides this problem, and I plan on upgrading it in awhile anyway.  I guess thats what I get for buying a used one and not testing it at the store.

Thanks for your help

by fflbrgst on 2013-01-11 05:22:18

You didn't mentione it was used, but you could still return it the store, unless you bought it 'as is'.

by Remlap on 2013-01-24 22:21:51

I spent $700 on a Spider IV 150 2x12 and a MKII Shortboard for Christmas. Brand new and I"m having the same issue.

I"m a little concerned. I love the amp and the sound, but I surely don't like my effects cutting out.

Mine seems to switch effects randomly. I am playing a distortion rhythm and all of a sudden it goes away and

it's switched with a 'clean' effect of some kind.

Someone has mentioned it could be the CAT5 cable. Gonna try switching that first to see if that solves the problem.

Somewhat disappointed that this is a brand new amp.

by cmjmccarthy on 2013-02-01 11:30:01

I had the same issue when I was saving presets to my amp channels while the FBV pedal was connected. I unplugged the pedal, did a factory reset on the amp, configured the channels the way I wanted them and then plugged the pedal in afterwards....so far so good.....

by fflbrgst on 2013-02-04 05:48:26

The 'random' changes can sometimes be caused by a loose knob turning under vibration, which 'wakes up' that parameter.  Try backing off all the controls to '0', then select your preset and see if the problem still happens.  One cure for the 'loose knob syndrome' is to put an o-ring or thing gasket material behind the knob.

by zorman32 on 2013-02-27 18:44:16

I have had the same issue in the past.  Not sure if I'm onto the solution or not.  I'm thinking it may have something to do with the order in which everything is powered on, connected, and disconnected (believe it or not).  The other thought I was having was that it may be due to heat building up in the cabinet due to restricted air flow across the heat sink (that's a long shot, but I have other things going on that lead me to suspect maybe, in my case).

I have a strong feeling that there is a right order, and a wrong order in which to plug in, turn on, and disconnect....though I'm not sure exactly.  (time to re read the manual I suppose).

If you get a solid answer, give me a shout, I'll keep you in mind if I finally tame the shrew

by fflbrgst on 2013-02-28 05:42:19

You should have your FBV plugged in prior to turning on the amp.   It's not necessary to plug your guitar in before turning the power on (just keep the volume off while doing it).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.