These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

If you are using the HD for just effects...
by Mincer on 2013-01-11 08:47:37

I have a setlist set up for just effects when I use a favorite amp. Does it matter what the output mode is set to, or does that only come into play when you are using an amp/cab/mic model in the signal chain?

Re: If you are using the HD for just effects...
by phil_m on 2013-01-11 08:54:27

It does matter. Specifically, you don't want to use either of the "front" modes. The tone correction associated with the low and high shelf settings and the focus setting will remain on even if you don't have an amp selected. The power amp modes only affect the voicing of the cabs, so they don't apply any correction without an amp model. so using studio direct or one of the power amp modes is the way to go. That is to say that in either of those three modes, there will be no tonal different when you don't have an amp/cab block selected.

by PremiumJones on 2013-01-11 14:44:55

If you are using the HD for just effects.... get an M-13.

/thread.

by Mincer on 2013-01-11 18:03:34

Actually no...reread my post. Occasionally I use an amp, and the rest of the time I go direct.

by VinnySem on 2013-01-16 07:56:29

In addition to the output mode, what is the proper way to connect to the amp's effects loop in this scenario? Still use the guitar in/unbalanced out, or use the FX loop?

by BlueViolince on 2013-01-16 09:13:20

I've always just programmed FS2 on every patch to switch my amp model on and off.  Normally I play through a Power Engine, but I have a smaller Marshall VS for quiet practicing.  I've been keeping it in Studio/Direct mode all the time.  Am I doing it wrong, then? I should add that I play electric violin through my HD500, and I've specifically set the air convolution to add some artificial body, since I play a solidbody instrument.  

by jimsreynolds on 2013-01-17 04:37:12

Vinny

There are essentially three ways you can hookup for Effects Only ...

Front of Amp

Guitar ==> HD Input

HD 1/4" Output ==> Amp Input

This is the simplest way and works well for many people.  It works well if you are mainly using the clean channel on your amp or you are only using effects that normally sit in front of the amp(e.g. compression, wah, distortions, some modulations).  It is also OK for amp modelling if setup correctly.  Not always so great for reverbs and delays etc, particularly where higher gain tones are used.

In the Loop

Guitar ==> Amp Input

Amp FX Loop Send ==>  HD Input

HD 1/4" Output Left ==> Amp FX Return

This way works very well for effects like echoes and delays, reverbs and some modulations.  Not so well for distortions and wah.  Amp Modelling will almost certainly sound weird.

Four Cable Method (well actually more cause of the stereo)

Guitar ==> HD Input

HD FX Send ==> Amp Input

Amp FX Send  ==> HD FX Return Left

HD 1/4" Output Left ==> Amp FX Return

This is the all singing, all dancing method for hookup.  It allows you to put all effects where you want them, to use your pre-amp channels correctly and allows for amp modelling too.  It is a pain to intially get your head around and setup but the results can be excellent.  For more details on 4CM and what it does check the link here.  http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2523

by Stueyd on 2013-01-17 14:34:09

Hi!

Sorry to be a bit thick, but what are you referring to with ouput modes and "front modes" ?

Imagine i've got the HD500 in front of me, guitar plugged into "Guitar In" and output going from 1/4" "L Mono" unbalanced out to my amp and my laptop attached running HD Edit.

What exactly do i need to do to ensure that no simulated amp "voicing" is applied to the signal ?

Many thanks.

Stu.

by silverhead on 2013-01-17 14:42:04

Hold down the View button until the display shows a new page. In the top left corner you will see "<1/10>". Hit the right nav key until you get to page 4 - "<4/10>". This is the Outputs setup page. Rotate knob #1 to slect one of the output modes designed to connect to an amp (NOT Studio mode). Select the mode (e.g. front combo) that most closely resembles the way you are connecting to your amp.

For details, see the HD500 Advanced Guide page 2.9

by Stueyd on 2013-01-17 15:18:54

Thanks for the info.

One last question... If I have set the ouput as you described and then at a later date plug the HD500 into a DT25 via the L6 cable do I need to change the output back or is it "clever" enough to bypass anything i've done to work correctly with the DT25?

Cheers!

by silverhead on 2013-01-17 15:57:36

Keep the output mode as it is with your regular amp. When you are connecting to a DT amp you should be using the PRE (not FULL) amp models in the HD500. These do not include the cab/mic simulations so there should be no problem in any case.

by whiteop on 2013-01-18 04:23:28

Actually like using the full amp sims with my DT-50. Just sounds fuller and fatter to me. Maybe I do t know how to setup the preamp sims right...IDK

by silverhead on 2013-01-18 07:26:56

There's no right or wrong - whatever sounds best to you is right for you! By using full sims (including mic/cab sims) along with a real amp, you are actually getting the effect of using two cabs. That would sure make things sound fuller and fatter. It can also make things sound real muddy, but clearly your tweaking of the sounds is avoiding that. If you like it, stick with it.

But if you haven't yet experimented much with the preamp sims it might be worth spending some time playing around with them. It's nice to know what your options are.

by wetredbox on 2013-01-20 11:07:46

so, violin player, you have multiple like patches with different amps set to be turned om/off with one of the clikers?  that's brilliant.  are there any particular settings to worry about so that the volume level does not change when engaging/disengagin the amp models?

good idea

by BlueViolince on 2013-01-20 11:57:14

Well I started my patches based on a few models.  I use, I think, the Hiwatt model with a Celestion cab for all of my clean tones, and another model which I can't remember at the moment for all my dirty tones.  I then built every other patch off of one of those base tones, with the footswitches set for the same model/effect on every patch, so that the controls would stay the same across the board.  It usually isn't a problem when I switch off the amp model, since I only use one standard combo amp for practice.  So far as I can tell, it's close enough for me to work with.  The other benefit to this is that I have LED confirmation on whether the amp model is on or off when I switch on a patch. 

by wetredbox on 2013-01-20 13:33:16

good stuff, thanks

by Stueyd on 2013-01-22 01:43:14

I've got a gig at the weekend and for reasons too dull to go into I won't be using my DT25, hence the question about how to set up the HD for FX only.

However, I went to rehearsal last night with the Marshall amp i'll be using at the weekend and the HD500 but i'd forgotten to set the output mode.

Jeez, it sounded horrible, really horrible. If anyone was wondering, you really do need to set the ouput mode correctly for FX only.

Not doing so is a great way to make a good amp sound bad.

by VinnySem on 2013-01-23 20:04:50

Hey Jim,

Thanks for all the info. You've responded to my posts a few times. I've been wanting to do a 4CM hookup, but I always get a wicked ground loop hum and tone suck, and I have a separate wah and Whammy/droptune pedal. I've been having decent luck using the guitar in and the line out.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.