These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Pod x3 driver for linux
by darkman on 2009-05-28 02:16:34

Hello everyone

i'm a linux user and i have pod x3 live. Everything goes ok, but i still have a request.

As everyone can imagine from the subject, i'm searching for linux driver.

with great regret I found that Line6 has not yet developed a driver for linux. Why?

There are a lot of line6 user that have linux on their pc (for example, all of musicians of my band).

In the future, there will be the development of linux driver?

i don't want to discuss here why i don't wanna use windows or mac. i use only linux and stop.

for me and my fellow band is quite stressful to keep a virtual machine with win xp to update the pod firmware and use programs such as gearbox.
I hope the Line6 remember how many users use linux to play and record (i took a look in the forum and i noticed that i'm not the only one who is asking for linux driver)

thanks in advance for the answers that anyone will give (but i'd like to listen the answer of line6),
Paolo

Re: Pod x3 driver for linux
by TheRealZap on 2009-05-28 03:55:26

they've stated previously that they have no intention of developing a linux driver or releasing the source code so that others can.

there was a project to develop third party drivers, but i believe it was only to get usb audio to linux, so that wouldn't help you much anyway

http://www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/

but they didn't have any x3 drivers either.

by darkman on 2009-05-28 04:36:31

zap3nc ha scritto:

they've stated previously that they have no intention of developing a linux driver or releasing the source code so that others can.

They have no intention?

... it's incredible......

I think it's a very stupid attitude.

There are a lot of people that use linux for music: every people i know use or mac or linux to make music (i don't want to open a discussion "linux/mac/windows", i'm reporting only my personal experience)

ok if they don't want to develop linux driver i have not intention to buy any other line6 products.

there was a project to develop third party drivers, but i believe it was only to get usb audio to linux, so that wouldn't help you much anyway

http://www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/

but they didn't have any x3 drivers either.

well.. i downloaded the driver from this site.

Now i can see my pod x3 but they have a lot of problem. (for example, the JACK Audio Connection Kit freeze while using the pod).

The main question remains: why?

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-28 05:23:14

i know you will disagree... but L6 is a business...

here is why:

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

Linux has a 1% market share for operating systems... (or roughly twice the market share of the iphone)

of that 1% i doubt that 10% have L6 products.

as opposed to mac which have 10% and i would guess that mac users tend to be more media-centric

in any case 10x the linux users=10x the revenue opportunity

i'm reasonably sure that when the market demands linux support L6 will provide it.

meaning when it becomes an avenue of revenue it will be exploited.

by darkman on 2009-05-28 06:17:32

[semi-OT] to your reply

have you ever thought that the spread of an OS depends on its use? (do you want to play games, compose music, programming, networking, etc..)

If you consider the use of a OS only for music (compose/play/etc) you'll see that mac stands above all. How many people use windows for live music?

i've never seen one! (but windows driver exists.....)

And, last but not least, how are these statistics

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

made?

These statistics are made by checking the browser id while the user use some site (like google, ask.com, and so on). How can these statistics may be realistic? A lot of people (like me) use some plugins that hides you from this "checking"... mah!

but this is NOT the main point....

[/semi-ot]

I don't wanna say that the majority of people use linux (because it is not true), i want to say that there are a lot (certainly not the majority, neither 25%, but surely more than 1%) of people who use linux for music.

In the environment in which I live everyday, linux it'a a reality. Maybe this is why i cannot understand the lack of line6 drivers.

In my opinion angry is pointless. Let's say that i'm amazed: that's all

In support of my request, let's give you an example. Suppose that i don't wanna pay ****euro per win or mac. Suppose i have, for some reasons, only linux.

I buy my pod x3 and, so, what i discover? that i need to buy an OS (win or mac) only to update the firmware!! (well.. everybody know that i don't have to buy a new OS, but, legally speaking, i have to buy)

Don't you think this is incredible? This is my personal experience... i don't have windows and only (yeah, it's true, ONLY) to use pod x3 i take a ..ehm.. "non official" xp under a Virtual Machine.

I don't wanna say that i want gearbox for linux or something line6 application. I'd like to have only a simple simple simple simple driver (it is not so difficult to develop a driver if you know how to do). Than, if you have the driver, it will be easier for someone else to create an application, or not?

ps: sorry for my english. as you may understood, i'm not a english native speaker guy

by LaxSlash on 2009-05-28 07:45:01

I use Linux on a dual boot with XP. I was surprised that there was no L6 support for Linux as well. I do remember seeing a 3rd party software for L6 in CNR (Linspire/Freespire)... but I never tested it out yet. Maybe I'll fix my Linux when I get home and take a look at it.

I'm wondering if you can get WINE to work with it. I used WINE, and there were only maybe a few programs/drivers that wouldn't get along with it.

by TheRealZap on 2009-05-28 08:00:31

everyone hates a good analogy... so here goes...

you are trapped in a room... one door... door is sealed shut with a single bolt... there are a set of wrenches on the floor...

do you stay in the room forever because the wrenches aren't craftsman or your other favorite brand...?

or do you grab the wrench that is right in front of you and works.

my point is, that there is a price for being an elitist b*stard! hehe you are stuck in the room. (it's a joke.... relax)

i would love for it to work under Linux... in particular ubuntu studio...

i do use alternative operating systems to windows... various linux distros/mac osx etc

but i know and accept their limitations...

and although i'm only guessing that market share and finance reasons are what's preventing L6, i understand and accept that as well.

i'm sure you have your reasons for using Linux... but ultimately it is a choice you made.

i agree a simple interface driver being made available would be great, even if it's entirely unsupported...

and things change in life and everything else... but last time this question popped up it was shot down with the info i posted previously....

(e.g. ain't gonna happen)

by darkman on 2009-05-28 15:59:57

but last time this question popped up it was shot down with the info i posted previously....

(e.g. ain't gonna happen)

uhm.. understood.

bah... I still thinking that they may develop a driver (even minimal) for linux or help the project http://www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/ . I don't think it will be expensive for them.

bah!

by arnoutvos on 2010-01-03 03:22:47

it's true that line6 doesn't care because of the small market share of linux.

i'm not a programmer but i do know that OSX is based on UNIX and i think it would be only a small effort to make a linux driver.

it's a vicious cylce: people don't use linux because not all hardware is supported, and hardware companies don't make linux drivers because people don't use linux.

but i've been using ubuntu since 2006 and i've seen things change, so i'm optimistic: very slowly more people are using linux and more hardware is supported (with official drivers).

by mkey2000 on 2010-01-13 05:20:59

Hy everyone,

at first, I'm not a customer, so far. Line 6 seams to make very interesting products, but I'm a linux user, and I wouldn't change that.

Saying it with Churchills words "the only statistics you can trust are those you falsified yourself" .

But if you want to have one, take a look at this site http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp .

This shows two things, you can see that both market shares (Linux and MacOS) are growing, and that both aren't far apart.

Linux is an upcomming OS and the community around the linux based operatingsystems is growing as well.

Line 6 shouldn't miss the point where there customers begin to opt against them just because they do not support linux.

Martin

by sedgetone on 2010-04-26 01:10:15

If you want to use a Pod under Linux then it'll have to be one from the XT series. I have the Bass PodXT Pro, Pod XT Pro (fully expanded) and a GX. The GX doesnt' work under Linux too well but the other two are fantastic. The kernel module is very stable and is now part of the standard kernel, it's in the staging section so most likely you'll have to compile it or find a repo that will supply it pre-built. It's not too much of a hassle to do and you don't have to be Stephen Hawkings to do it.

I can understand why Line6 doesn't want to get into Linux development, volume versus dev time means it wouldn't be very cost effective. It's a shame they don't do the same as Wacom who assist the OS community but don't actively participate in development. After years of being screwed over by Steinberg I switched to Linux for my DAW solution and haven't looked back. There are now so many great apps and many VST plugins and instruments are useable too it really is practical solution.

I use Fedora Core 12 with many of the apps from Planet CCRMA. My core applications are Muse, Ardour and LMMS. Although I'm starting to really get into Qtractor which is very slick. I have had a few stability issues with Rosegarden in the past but no where near as many as I did with Cubase! Being able to control Ardour from a Wiimote is really clever and means I can rapidly arm, record and playback without putting the guitar down. A friend of mine who is a ProTools abuser thought this was really stupid idea until we did a session together using it. He later agreed that it did make operating the DAW while surrounded by guitar equipment a much easier prospect :

by bowmanr on 2010-06-21 00:53:19

All I can say is ... Guitarix[*1] with Rakarrack[*2] on UbuntuStudio[*3]

Just sold my XTLive and Variax, got fed up having to load Xp whenever I wanted to make deep edits. I also got annoyed at being forced to use an obscure sampling rate when recording.

I will consider returning to Line6 when they provide proper Linux support. But with the advent of Guitarix, they will have to be quick. With some tinkering over the last month, I'm already getting comparable results, especially now I've worked out how to use the convolver for cab modeling. Worryingly for Line6, Guitarix and Rakarrack are only going to get better.......

Mind you, on my second moan, at least the X3 has selectable sampling rates.

Enjoy the plastic!

[*1] -- http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
[*2] -- http://rakarrack.sourceforge.net/

[*3] -- http://ubuntustudio.org/

by ellfaco22 on 2010-06-23 13:34:38

Did anybody have success running Gearbox/X3L under a Virtual Machine (Vmware/VirtualBox)?

I am getting (on Pod X3 Live): Gearbox Warning: DSP failed to load  correctly, reason (code 8000900C) midi device timed out waiting for a  response.

I'm running Gearbox under VirtualBox 3.2 (Kubuntu 10.04 host; Windows XP Guest).

Monkey and Gearbox detect the X3L connected, but I cannot load/save tones to/from the X3L.

I'm not using an USB Hub.

Thanks!

PS: I'm gonna try Vmware tonight...will keep you posted

by mekaniks on 2010-10-21 03:21:49

If nothing changes, I'll be the proud owner of pod x3 pro tomorow. I've given pod xt a try, and staging drivers for it are very stable. I know "papers" say x3 doesn't work, but darkman reported some success. Have anyone else give it a try?

by darkman on 2010-10-21 04:52:40

Sorry, but just right now i see that my thread is still not dead.

ops!

well.. now i use all the line6 programs under virtualbox and it works (has always worked).

I'm very happy to see that i'm not the only linux & pod user. (i also have a variax 700 and the pc-driver works well under virtualbox.)

the projects guitarrix and rakarrack seem very interesting! (but i'm quite sure that i will prefer the pox x3 effects and amplifier emulations)

i keep thinking that line6 is loosing an opportunity.

in the next few days i would like to try again the experimental linux driver. Who knows? maybe, after an year, it works...

If i will be able to make it works, i will let you know

by mekaniks on 2010-10-21 05:27:20

I've just ran through source code (/usr/src/linux/drivers/staging/line6/usbdefs.h is of the interest) and there are some X3 USB IDs in it. By the way, Line6 doesn't have to code anything. Specification given to one programmer (I'm thinking of http://www.tanzband-scream.at/line6/) is enough.

by allanon on 2010-12-12 03:34:51

Hy guys, how can you install gearbox in a win system under virtualbox?

I've tried various times but have no luck

thanx

by crice53 on 2010-12-21 15:56:59

Have just done so, but using the Oracle closed source (non-free - meaning no source code available but no payment required)  version of Virtualbox.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

This version has USB support.

Make sure you read the Virtualbox manual prior to install re DKMS

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch02.html#id2722093

Installed Monkey and took it from there. My problem is that it interfaces with Gearbox but does not display the tones in either window, so cannot save anything at the moment. (ended up here looking for solutions) . The Variax Workbench program seems to be ok, though.

Anyone else any ideas ? Am using an install of XP prior to Service release 1 !!! but the software did work on Win 98 ...so.. any other tips to try?

by darkman on 2010-12-22 02:25:08

uhm....

are you sure that the pod driver in windows is working well?

let's say in a different way. Monkey software is displaying you correctely the pod?

While having the pod connected to virtualbox, go in the settings where you can see the whole hardware of your machine (having windows xp not in english, i don't know the name of these menus).

Under USB devices, you have to see also your pod device. Is it working correctely? (so, without a yellow "!" over)

So, if you find that is not correctely installed, double click on that device ad re-install driver (you will find under the line6 folder, where you've installed everything).

If not, try to explain us better you're problem. what's going on with gearbox? (step-by-step)

Be sure to have disable the support of USB 2.0 in virtualbox menu, otherwise pod driver will not work.

bye

ps: everythings is working under my virtualbox+win xp + pod ;-)

by MoRZiLLo on 2011-01-06 11:33:51

I have installed on my system.

The new kernels support POD X3 as a new ound card. Just use it or just put into your line in with the headphones out.

I just start recording with them and my microphone in audacity and it's incredible.

If you turn into USB the soundcard sound goes to a  crappy sound.(sorry my spell xD)

But if you turn the headphones out into the Line In , you can play your guitar, bass vocals, piano or whatever you need into your POD X3 Live.

I'm going to play now

Ah sorry Iuse "Asturix 3 X64" and Lxde desktop.

I have my ATI HDMI sound and a SB-XFI Platinum and it recognizes 3 cards. My X-FI , the HDMI ATI and my POD. But the POD soundcard is disabled.

I use the Line IN in my PCI X-FI.

For the moment, the RAC comes with my soundcard it's not recognized yet.

I havn't installed any driver!!!!!!!  Come's with the new kernel!!!!!  2.6.35-24-generic

SeeYou!

by darkman on 2011-01-07 01:20:45

MoRZiLLo ha scritto:

I have installed on my system.

The new kernels support POD X3 as a new ound card. Just use it or just put into your line in with the headphones out.

I just start recording with them and my microphone in audacity and it's incredible.

If you turn into USB the soundcard sound goes to a  crappy sound.(sorry my spell xD)

But if you turn the headphones out into the Line In , you can play your guitar, bass vocals, piano or whatever you need into your POD X3 Live.

Wait a minute....

So, you're saying that in kernel 2.6.35 there's the support on POD x3. Ok, i knew that.

What i'm not understanding well is the following: your linux distro is able to recognize the POD as a sound card, right?

...but you cannot use. Is it right?

so, just because i really don't understand the main point, why you're suggesting us to connect the headphone-out of our pod to line-in of our pc?

obviously this is something that you can do whenever you want, it doesn't depends on "driver for linux".

Let me say better, what i'm searching is a driver that is able to recognize and able to use the pod under linux. I know that i can connect the output-pod -> input-PC, but this is not what i'm searching (apart from the fact that this solution is not so good, as sound result, for me).

Apart from all of these, thank you to suggest us your impressions.

I suppose, i will try to check how is the driver in the latest kernel (that is the 2.6.36)

;-)

by crice53 on 2011-01-07 02:53:38

A more up to date version of XP inside Virtualbox has solved my problems. The Gearbox application reads the files from the Pod and any changes I make to them can be saved by pressing the SAVE button on the Pod as usual.

I now feel I could wipe my Vista partition if I so wished, or needed the disk space. (It's only real use now is to let me help others diagnose Vista problems ) .

by MoRZiLLo on 2011-01-07 18:54:08

Yeah!!!!!  You are in the righ path

I have this screnshot to verify that i say in my other post.

Don't blame me....

by darkman on 2011-01-08 01:38:58

great!

i also tried with kernel 2.6.35 and also in my pc, alsa shows me 2 "sound pod cards".

unfortunately, i'm not able to use neither of them.

no sound seems to go out from my pod.

you said:

what kind of "output" have you used in your pod to hear something (even if it's crappy)?

(and, obviously, what device have you used? the first or the second one?)

i'm very interested, maybe in some way it's possible to use, practically, the pod also as an audio card also on linux.

(and then install workbanch and everythingelse with wine)

thanks

by MoRZiLLo on 2011-01-08 08:02:35

OK . When I'm trying to use the POD USB Output as a sound card, my Soundblaster X-FI goes to a crappy sound.

Anyway, you can't use yet this driver than a windows USB driver. Is not yet finished and unsupported.

It's the work of the comunnity day by day, but not yet "usable" at this time.

I'm trying the audacity with the output USB_0 and USB_1 without any results.

But if you use a USB_0 or USB_1 as a soundcard, your system goes to a disaster sound and posibly crash.

This is that i'm saying in my other post. Sorry about my spell, if you can understand me well.

I don't speak english , only few phrases and words.

Best Wishes!

by mekaniks on 2011-01-08 18:26:01

I've just received an email from Marcus Grabner (line6usb kernel module developer), and he gave me instructions on how programer might figure out how to make the driver. I hope I'll be able to help him in coding (haven't done it in years). I'll keep you posted.

by MoRZiLLo on 2011-01-10 13:45:14

I don't have any idea of coding

I'll hope to help him too, but it's impossible.

I'm only explaining that the USB core(for Line6 POD X3) is in the newest kernels.

But if other people can help him....

by darkman on 2011-01-11 06:26:49

mekaniks ha scritto:

I've just received an email from Marcus Grabner (line6usb kernel module developer), and he gave me instructions on how programer might figure out how to make the driver. I hope I'll be able to help him in coding (haven't done it in years). I'll keep you posted.

great.

uhm... why not?

i'm not so expert in coding, but neither so bad.

I could help you if you want. in free time i will be happy to try to help to develop the opensource driver for pod x3.

i'm skilled with linux, but i've never written down a driver.

you can contact me by private message

by gyrgynagy on 2011-05-14 15:22:07

I have almost bought a new Pod X3 pro yesterday, but based on negative attitude of Line6 to Linux driver development, I ordered a used POD XT PRO on ebay.

I hope some success with it connecting my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86_64.
If advanced linux support comes, I will probably buy a more up-to-date of their product.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.