These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Variax action setup
by pauliusmm on 2013-01-12 08:20:06

Is it true you can't set your action pretty low without sacrifiying the modeled tones? By low i mean 4/64 at the last fret, thats how i like to set my guitar.

What is your action on JTVs?

Re: Variax action setup
by Krontab on 2013-01-12 08:25:04

Treble or Bass side. I found with light picking I could run it as low as 2/32" on the bass side at the 12th fret and 1/32' on the treble. I found that this did sacrifice sustain as all low action tends to because the starting amplitude of the string has to be lower to accomodate having less space to vibrate in. In the end I run 3/32" on the bass side and 2/32' on the treble (measured at 12th fret) and I can play pretty hard without buzz.

by silverhead on 2013-01-12 08:52:18

It's hard to answer based just on the action measurement because fret buzz is a combination of action and playing style.A heavy hand with higher action can generate more buzz than a lighter touch with lower action. It requires experimentation for each individual to find their preferred combination of action, touch, and acceptable fret buzz with modeled guitars (any modeled guitar - not just Variax).

IMHO, I find that fret buzz (any amount of fret buzz) definitely has a negative effect on the modeling. After experimenting I ended up with a slightly higher action on my JTV than on a standard guitar. That, for me, provided the best balance of action and modeling tonality given my playing style. I think you will need to experiment to find your personal balance.

by Krontab on 2013-01-12 09:06:53

Agreed, another thing often overlooked overlooked is how subtle amp feedback can affect buzz. I'm not talking about the howling sort, but like the effect that having to much bass dialed in on your amp. This can add energy into the string as well and cause buzz where you did not have it when the guitar was unplugged. I encounter this with hollow bodies and accoustics quite often, I will reitterate silverheads point that because of the physical interaction with the piezo in the bridge vs the magnetic pickup when you are using modeled mode the buzz is more pronounced. You have to treat it like an accoustic in setup because where a magnetic pickup ignores some buzz the piezo will pick it up.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.