These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV as my Main Variax 700 as back up
by jcosta_sr on 2013-01-14 16:38:32

Got a question.  As my post says I have a JTV as my Main AX and I want to use my Variax as a back up.  Also I have a HD500.  Given that each patch has to specify either a JTV or Variax.  I have come to the conclusion that if I need to use the 700 the HD500 wont support it.  Am I missing something?  Any suggestions?

Re: JTV as my Main Variax 700 as back up
by silverhead on 2013-01-14 17:47:03

The HD500 supports the older Variaxes (300/500/600/700) as well as the JTV. The older guitars can be specified in any patch, and a specific model can be saved with the patch. Of course, you can't use alternate tunings, or the vol/tone knobs as parameter controllers.

And even if no model is specified in the patch, a V700 can still be used with the HD500, using either the guitar input or the VDI connection. You would need to select the V700 model manually if using a patch specifying the JTV.

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-14 17:58:51

i have a feeling that you'll need a whole seperate setlist for the 700 vs jtv once the announced HD model pack has been released anyway....

plenty of available presets methinks...

http://line6.com/news/general/1387

">http://line6.com/news/general/1387">http://line6.com/news/general/1387

by Spiderplayer7 on 2013-01-15 06:00:20

I use an HD500 with my Variax 700 via VDI and they work brilliantly together and I'm very happy with my set-up. Incidentally, this week I tried a JTV-69 in a local music store (hoping to love it and buy it) but after holding it for 10 seconds - and sorry to all JTV-69 owners - I hated it (looked and felt cheap, over-shiny hardware, didn't like the chrome pickup surround at all etc.). But I persevered and played it for a while through a couple of different amps. It played ok and sounded good, but my old 700 electric totally beats it IMHO for playability, quality of build, fit and finish etc. And over the (many) years I've played I've owned PRSs, Gibsons, loads of different Fenders, a vintage Gretsch, a Parker Fly and have made 3 Warmoths. And out of all of those I like the 700 the best.

But I would like to try a JTV-59...

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-15 07:02:53

the neck on the 59 is closer to the 700...

but there will likely be a huge difference in sound quality once the announced HD models are released... they appear to be JTV only.

by Inerzia on 2013-01-15 08:00:46

I'm doing just that, using a JTV (89 in my case) and a trem 700 as a backup, or I did last summer...
The thing is... the sounds are there, but they're not the same, so, as TheRealZap said, you'll probably want to setup a different setlist for the 700.
I would just use the 700 whenever I would break a string on the JTV, and the same models did sound a bit different. Even my own custom variax models

sound different on the two guitars. In addition to the change in the way the models sound, I use the bridge position of the magnetics a lot, because

they respond to palm muting just as any normal humbucker should, and that is something the 700 can't match (stock 700, that is).

So, unless I can afford a new JTV (those new JTV89F got me drooling...) I'll stick to what I have, and I'll have to use different setlists for each variax, but...
if you want to use the same list and recall whatever model on each, YOU CAN.The HD500 edit lets you store different settings for different instruments.
The same patch can recall different models (and tone positions and whatever parameters are available on the instrument) on different kinds of variaxes.
If I have the JTV plugged, the patch calls whatever model I have set the "Tyler Variax" section on the VDI input drop down menu to call, and when I have

the 700, it calls the model set on the "300/600 500/700" section. They're independent.

So yes, HD500 will support both, and on the same patch, but, being different in sound, it's preferable to dedicate a different setlist to each.

by silverhead on 2013-01-15 08:28:17

Inerzia wrote:

The same patch can recall different models (and tone positions and whatever parameters are available on the instrument) on different kinds of variaxes.
If I have the JTV plugged, the patch calls whatever model I have set the "Tyler Variax" section on the VDI input drop down menu to call, and when I have

the 700, it calls the model set on the "300/600 500/700" section. They're independent....

I did not know that. Thanks for the tip.

by Leftzilla on 2013-01-15 08:54:38

Like Inervia, I run a JTV 59 as my main instrument and the VAX700 as a backup.  I run two different sets of banks as the Tyler and VAX 700 are different baseline setups so the models are located in different locations on each.  The HD500 definitely supports this along with having oodles of memory slots to support two different set lists.

by jcosta_sr on 2013-01-15 09:30:56

Iwas was afraid of that.........Maintaining two different setlist will be challenging......

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-15 09:48:50

there may not be much way around it once the new HD variax update is released...

they may sound so different as to require alot different setup....

speculation on my part...

but you may end up way ahead of the game if you're already preparing for this eventuality.

by Spiderplayer7 on 2013-01-15 10:39:44

Yes, I think you're right. I'm really interested in the HD update - maybe I'll need to look really hard at a JTV of some description - the only thing I would change about my setup is that the acoustic models don't quite have the same sonic quality as the electric models - but maybe the JTVs with the HD update will change that...

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-15 11:05:57

actually, i think that the HD acoustic models are already in the current firmware if you wanted to check them out....

it's the electric models that are coming... in HD.

by Spiderplayer7 on 2013-01-15 11:27:52

Ok, I've got it now, thanks. I wonder what difference the HD update will make. But I guess I won't be able ti find out for myself unless I try one out....

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.