These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Help ? No microphone's signal with UX2...
by rikiwin on 2013-01-15 08:27:22

Hi,

Even if I've selected Mic1 as the input in Pod Farm 2, no microphone sound is transmitted to computer. And my device's VU Meters measure no signal for microphone, although they measure signal for jack's guitar (and I succeed to hear my guitar in headphones).

What could be my problem ?

Please help me, I've worked on that for 2 days and I don't know what I can do anymore...

Re: Help ? No microphone's signal with UX2...
by Triryche on 2013-01-15 10:32:43

What type of mic do you have?

And I assume you have the mic gain on the UX2 turned up?

by rikiwin on 2013-01-16 05:31:24

My mic is the "TT1" of "Prodipe".

Yes, the mic gain on the UX2 is turned up. Just look to make sure I've understood :

Schéma_mic-gain.bmp

by Triryche on 2013-01-16 05:39:43

Just to elimate a few things.

Can you confirm the mic works on other equipment?

Can you try a different mic on the UX?

by rikiwin on 2013-01-16 06:21:22

Ok, of course. This mic does work on other equipment, no worries about that, I usually use it and this one is quite new. Same answer for the XLR cable, and I've tried an other one, juste to make sure.

I don't have an other mic at home but I'm going to try with an other mic as soon as possible. I'll tell you what happens. Thanks for your help and your reactivity.

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-16 06:24:38

did you select mic as the input in the control panel (line6 audio midi)

by rikiwin on 2013-01-16 07:41:42

Yes, in the control panel I've selected "Instrument and mic 1" as inputs. I've also selected only "mic 1" and others choices but nothing has improved situation. In Pod Farm 2, when I click on "DUAL" so as to get "INPUT : instrument" for Tone A and "INPUT : mic 1" for Tone B I end up with "INPUT : instrument" for Tone A and "INPUT : something (I don't remember) as Tone A" for Tone B. And when I select "mic 1" to get "INPUT : mic 1" for Tone B, and I select "Bright and clean" so as to have a tone adapted for vocal recording (and not guitar recording) on Tone B, nothing happens (no signal measured by UX2's VU Meters and no sound in headphones when I try to talk in the mic.

Inputs_PodFarm.bmp

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-16 07:49:15

that's not the control panel i'm referring to....

forget pod farm... look in your windows control panel for the line6 control applet.

by rikiwin on 2013-01-16 08:19:39

Otherwise, I think about questions I have, maybe these questions may lead to my ansmwer about my problem of mic signal :

- Sometimes the part dedicated to Tone B in POD FARM 2 becomes inaccessible as soon as I begin to work on Tone B...

- In Control Panel we have a line "ASIO client: (none)" as herebelow. And, in Record Sends, I have a line "3-4* Instrument unprocessed" or "3-4* mic 1 unprocessed" if I've selected "Inst. & Mic 1" as inputs. This star after "3-4" refers to the information "*ASIO only" as herebelow. I've installed "ASIO for all" on my computer for using with Live Lite 7 but I'm wondering if there is a problem with ASIO, maybe something has to be adjusted... What do you think about this star and what does it mean exactly ?

Control-panel_Driver.bmp

Control-panel_Inputs.bmp

by Triryche on 2013-01-16 08:26:51

You should be using Line6 ASIO UX2 for your device in your DAW.

Also, if you run Monkey you have green ticks for drivers, PF 2 and firmware?

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-16 08:30:19

remove ASIO4ALL, as it may be causing your issue.

by rikiwin on 2013-01-16 08:52:03

In fact, I had installed ASIO for all on my computer before seeing that it's possible to use Line 6 ASIO UX2. So, for Live Lite 7 I finally use Line 6 ASIO UX2 because if I select ASIO for all in Live Lite 7 it does'nt work. But I believed it was necessary to keep ASIO for all on the computer. If Line 6 ASIO UX2 can be enough I'm going to uninstall ASIO for all.

Nevertheless, when I run Monkey I've green ticks for drivers and firmware, and everywhere except for Pod Farm 2 because it seems possible to update to Pod Farm 2,55. Is it important tu update ?

And there is no ticks at all for the line "Gear box" and that one which is just above "Gear box". They seem not to concern me because I have UX2, isn't it ?

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-16 08:54:25

you can use gearbox if you want... not important though...

i would update pod farm in case the fix for your issue is included in that update...

i'm not aware of such... but generally you want all the previously addressed issues behind you...

by rikiwin on 2013-01-18 02:04:41

I've updated POD FARM 2,01 to POD FARM 2,55 with Monkey. And I've uninstalled ASIO4all but that still doesn't work... For microphone : no signal in UX2's UV Meters and no sound in headphones.

I'm going to tell you what happens exactly when I use Pod Farm, maybe you will understand something :

1) In control panel I check that "Inst. & Mic 1" are selected as inputs.

2) I open POD FARM, I click on "DUAL" and select "create empty Tone". So the part dedicated to Tone B becomes accessible and the switches allowing to select "A/B" or "A+B" may be selected and light up when they are selected. When I am at this step everything seems allright (except there is still no signal measured for microphone in UX2's UV Meters when I talk in the microphone, although I have a signal measured for guitar in UX2's UV Meters when I play guitar and I hear my guitar in headphones).

3) For Tone B, then I select "INPUT : Mic 1" and when I do that : the switches allowing to select "A/B" or "A+B" may not be selected anymore and there isn't light anymore for these switches.

4) Finally I select a Tone adapted for voice recording : for example "Bright and clean". Immediately, the part dedicated to Tone B becomes inaccessible (nothing may be selected) and, there where I had selected "INPUT : Mic 1", there is now "INPUT : (none)".

I would like so much that finally works... I need to record my creations. What do you think about that, what may we try to do again ?

by rikiwin on 2013-01-18 05:39:52

I've updated POD FARM 2,01 to POD FARM 2,55 with Monkey. And I've uninstalled ASIO4all but that still doesn't work... For microphone : no signal in UX2's UV Meters and no sound in headphones.

I'm going to tell you what happens exactly when I use Pod Farm, maybe you will understand something :

1) In control panel I check that "Inst. & Mic 1" are selected as inputs.

2) I open POD FARM, I click on "DUAL" and select "create empty Tone". So the part dedicated to Tone B becomes accessible and the switches allowing to select "A/B" or "A+B" may be selected and light up when they are selected. When I am at this step everything seems allright (except there is still no signal measured for microphone in UX2's UV Meters when I talk in the microphone, although I have a signal measured for guitar in UX2's UV Meters when I play guitar and I hear my guitar in headphones).

3) For Tone B, then I select "INPUT : Mic 1" and when I do that : the switches allowing to select "A/B" or "A+B" may not be selected anymore and there isn't light anymore for these switches.

4) Finally I select a Tone adapted for voice recording : for example "Bright and clean". Immediately, the part dedicated to Tone B becomes inaccessible (nothing may be selected) and, there where I had selected "INPUT : Mic 1", there is now "INPUT : (none)".

I would like so much that finally works... I need to record my creations. What do you think about that, what may we try to do again ?

by Triryche on 2013-01-18 05:57:48

Forget the dual tone for now.

With a signal single tone (not dual) select Mic1 in POD Farm and see if you get anything.

Message was edited to for reflect more gooder grammar!! :D

by rikiwin on 2013-01-18 06:48:11

Sorry but I don't understand, what do you suggest to do ?  What do you mean by "with a signal tone" ?

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-18 08:34:26

i think he meant SINGLE tone... as in forget DUAL tone... one problem at a time...

by Triryche on 2013-01-18 08:44:35

yep, that 's what I meant!! Also try the Mic 2 input and selecting Mic 2 in PF.

by rikiwin on 2013-01-21 02:58:19

Ok, I understand, thanks. I'm going to try this afternoon, and I will try with an other microphone too. But something makes me wondering it these solutions are well adapted. In fact, there is no signal measured by UX2's VU Meters for microphone when I talk in the microphone. If no microphone signal enters in the UX2, how could it enter into the computer ?  

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-21 04:01:27

I don't own a UX2, but on the UX8, you can choose what inputs the meters work on... meaning the meters might only be used for the guitar input or some other input...

by rikiwin on 2013-01-22 15:45:33

Yes it's better, thanks! Not won yet... but it's better! Now I succeed to see signals of guitar and mic measured by the UX2's VU Meters, and I can hear sound of both guitar and mic in headphones. Nevertheless, I still meet problems  :

In this case, only the mic is connected to UX2, I have signal with a great amplitude on UX2's VU meters and sound in my headphones :

pb_affichage_1.bmp

In this case herebelow, I have mic connected to mic 1 and guitar connected to "Norm". Guitar signal is correctly measured (great amplitude) by UX2's VU meters and I hear my guitar in headphones. But for microphone the signal is weak, the sound in headphones seems correct (but not sure) and if I try to record with Ableton the voice volume is very low (so it's covered by guitar ).

pb_affichage_2.bmp

In addition, since I've updated Pod Farm 2,01 to Pod Farm 2,55 with Monkey, Pod Farm seems curious and let me think there are problems of display as you can see above... I can't use several switches related to Tone A, Tone B, A/B, A+B, Record Sends... And I believe that I would have to see that instead :

affichage_souhaité.bmp

To end with my main problems at the moment : I've read the Pod Farm 2,5 Basic User Guide but I still don't understand how to select one tone for guitar (Tone A : for example "Acoustic Guitar") and an other tone for mic (Tone B : for example "Bright and clean") ?

Thanks for your precious help, we're going to win! I hope so!

by rikiwin on 2013-01-23 06:43:44

Yes it's better, thanks! Not won yet... but it's better! Now I succeed to see signals of guitar and mic measured by the UX2's VU Meters, and I can hear sound of both guitar and mic in headphones. Nevertheless, I still meet problems  :

In this case, only the mic is connected to UX2, I have signal with a great amplitude on UX2's VU meters and sound in my headphones :

pb_affichage_1.bmp

In this case herebelow, I have mic connected to mic 1 and guitar connected to "Norm". Guitar signal is correctly measured (great amplitude) by UX2's VU meters and I hear my guitar in headphones. But for microphone the signal is weak, the sound in headphones seems correct (but not sure) and if I try to record with Ableton the voice volume is very low (so it's covered by guitar ).

pb_affichage_2.bmp

In addition, since I've updated Pod Farm 2,01 to Pod Farm 2,55 with Monkey, Pod Farm seems curious and let me think there are problems of display as you can see above... I can't use several switches related to Tone A, Tone B, A/B, A+B, Record Sends... And I believe that I would have to see that instead :

affichage_souhaité.bmp

To end with my main problems at the moment : I've read the Pod Farm 2,5 Basic User Guide but I still don't understand how to select one tone for guitar (Tone A : for example "Acoustic Guitar") and an other tone for mic (Tone B : for example "Bright and clean") ?

Thanks for your precious help, we're going to win! I hope so!

by rikiwin on 2013-01-24 05:31:42

Yes it's ok now !  In fact, after updating Pod Farm, I got 2 icons of Pod Farm in my desk : one leads to Pod Farm in a version with problems, the other one leads to Pod Farm 2,55 well installed. Today, I have understood this fact, I have deleted the wrong icon and it's ok.

Now, it stays only this question :

I've read the Pod Farm 2,5 Basic User Guide but I still don't understand how to select one tone for guitar (Tone A : for example "Acoustic Guitar") and an other tone for mic (Tone B : for example "Bright and clean") ?

by Triryche on 2013-01-24 06:04:03

In the drop downs for Tone A & B select Mic Instrument for 1 and Guitar for the other. Make sure you Dual enabled, then build you signal for each Tone.

by rikiwin on 2013-01-28 03:48:59

Yes that's my problem : how can I build one signal for each tone ? 

In effect, there is only one screen to show which tone is selected : for example herebelow "2001 Odyssey Vocal". When I select Dual I get consequently 2 inputs, so I don't understand how to build 2 differents tones with only one screen for selecting tone...

So as to make sure you understand what I mean, and to check if what I do is ok, look at what I do herebelow :

When I open POD FARM, here I am :

pb_select_tones_1.bmp

Then I select DUAL and « Create empty Tone » => The part dedicated to Tone B becomes accessible :

pb_select_tones_2.bmp

Then I select mic 1 as input for tone B => everything is ok, I hear the 2 inputs (guitar and mic) in my headphones :

pb_select_tones_3.bmp

Then I would like to select "Acoustic guitar" as Tone A and " Brignt and clean" as Tone B : how can I do ?

As soon as I select an other tone with the screen dedicated to show how tone is selected, the part dedicated to Tone B becomes inaccessible and I don't hear mic in my headphones anymore.

Here, I have selected "Bright and clean" instead of "2001 Odyssey Vocal* " and that's what I get (as explained above) :

pb_select_tones_4.bmp

So my question is : how can I select "Acoustic guitar" as Tone A and " Brignt and clean" as Tone B ?

by Triryche on 2013-01-28 05:24:05

Do you have a "red faced" Toneport or a "black faced" POD Studio?

If it is a POD Studio you should be using POD Farm 2

by rikiwin on 2013-01-28 13:40:03

I'm not sure to understand... My device is a POD Studio UX2, and this one is black : I mean the "box" in which I connect my guitar and my mic is a "box" which is black, its color is black. Does it answer to your question ?

And when you say : "If it is a POD Studio you should be using POD Farm 2", do you mean that using POD Farm 2,55 is not a good idea ?  Would POD Farm 2,01 (as I had before having updated) be better with a POD Studio UX2 ?

If it's what you mean, I don't understand because, before the update, I had POD Farm 2,01 and it was the same problem.

When we select DUAL, do we normally get 2 screens for selecting tones of A and B ??

What do you think about what I've explained in my last message with photos ?  Do I make a mystake or is it the right way to do ?

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-28 13:58:31

i think you just need to hit that "DUAL" button next to where it says bright and clean, and then you'd be able to setup a second input etc

by Triryche on 2013-01-29 05:49:49

+1 to Zap.

Click on Dual and you will be promoted to copy current tone or create empty Tone.

Also, in your "Record Sends" in the Mix View you have sends 1-2 for Tone A and 3-4 for dry Input, this is part of the problem.

One approach would be to have sends 1-2 as Tone A and 3-4 as Tone B. In this fashion what you hear is what you get on the recording.

by rikiwin on 2013-02-04 08:04:00

Hi, 1 question + 1 important problem :

1) Question

It would be logic to have sends 1-2 as Tone A and 3-4 as Tone B but, if I do that, I d'on't hear sound from microphone (or it's really low level : guitar covers totally the voice) when I listen a test of recording with Ableton Live Lite 7... Pod Farm is like that :

recA_recB.bmp

But If I have sends 1-2 as "Tone A+B" and 3-4 as "Tone B" as herebelow, that's better : I hear mic and guitar when I listen a test of recording with Ableton. Having sends 3-4 as Tone B (or something else like Dry input) seems to have no importance...

recA-B_recB.bmp

2) Problems

I don't have the switch for In gain in Pod Farm as it's showed in the manual (in the left of the screen, just above the knob "GATE") :

barre-menu_manuel.bmp

That's what I have (no switch at all !) :

bouton-in_absent.bmp

It's a problem because in the manual it's well written that it's an important adjustment for good quality of audio signal !

I have indeed problems to have a good quality of recording with Ableton because :

- sound seems to be a bit distant,

- so as to have enough level for recording I have to push levels  almost at the maximum in Pod Farm, even if I can't push them at the maximum to avoid being in the red parts of level meters,

- I can't adjust level for "In" (as I have no switch) and the level meters shows a low signal which could explain my problems to get good quality of recording.

In addition, I don't have the point for the switch "Out" as it's showed in the manual :

bouton-out_manuel.bmp

That's what I have (there is a swith but there is no point) :

bouton-out_perso.bmp

So, several questions :

- no switch for "In" signal, how can I do ??!  That's important and astonishing problem !

- no point for the switch of signal "Out" ?!

- adjustment of record sends ?

Thanks for your help.

by Triryche on 2013-02-04 11:43:58

1) I notice in the 1st screenshoot, you have different settings for DI and Delay. I would start with both of these at zero.

Also, does it make a diffence in what you hear if you click the A+B button?

There are a couple different ways to level out the signals. You can adjust the levels from diffent amps/effect in the signal chains, or you can adjusting them from the faders in the mixer view.

2) The input level for POD Farm is for the plug-in version only.

by rikiwin on 2013-02-12 09:13:08

Thanks for your answers, now I succeed to record something correctly, yes !!!!! One month and half that I try and that's coming, thanks to your help !

Nevertheless, I have questions about this "A+B button" because I really don't understand how to use it...

When I select “Same as Tone A” for Tone B, A+B button is accessible but I  can’t hear the sound from the mic. I need to use mic and guitar in the same time so I don't understand how to use this "A+B button"... That's what I get when I have “Same as Tone A” for Tone B :

A+B-accessible.png

But, as I need to record mic also, I select mic 1 as imput for Tone B, then A+B button becomes inaccessible... It becomes grey and disappears in the FTS :

A+B-inaccessible.png

So when I use Pod Farm, I never have access to these buttons "A+B" and "A/B" because I always need to have guitar + mic recording.

What can I do with that ?  Is it normal ?

by rikiwin on 2013-02-14 02:19:31

Anything else... How do we tranform files ".als" to files ".wav" or ".mp3" after having recorded with ableton ?

by TheRealZap on 2013-02-14 05:55:45

you don't....

what you need to do is look for the mixdown option in the menu's "als" is not an audio format.

by rikiwin on 2013-02-14 08:51:32

Okay, I've finally succeeded to export my record in ".wav".

But for my questions about this "A+B button" that I don't understand how to use it, what do you say about ?

by Triryche on 2013-02-15 07:10:52

The A/B buttons are only relevant when you have one input source.

For instance, if you only have instrument and have a dual tone, you can toggle between A, B, or A + B.

by rikiwin on 2013-02-20 02:11:37

Okay, thank you very much !

Thanks to you I succeed now to understand the main things about recording with Pod Studio, thanks a lot !

See you later maybe for new questions...

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.