These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Could the USB dropout problem be related to random shutoffs?
by buckpansy on 2013-01-16 09:24:39

My x3 live is an older unit made before the usb droput fix. I never had it fixed because none of the authorized repair centers in my area will return my emails or calls (some of them no longer exist). Anyway, lately my unit has been randomly powering off. I bought a new px2. That didn't solve it. My power supply (from a power conditioner) is pristine. So my question is this: if I were to apply the fix from "Technical Bulletin 41-Add Cap/ U34 Reg" and solder on the correct capacitor, would that fix my random shutoff problem?

Re: Could the USB dropout problem be related to random shutoffs?
by silverhead on 2013-01-16 10:34:16

A power problem is likely unrelated to the usb audio dropout problem, so I don't think the usb dropout fix will resolve your problem.

Having said that, I don't think Tech Bulletin #41 applies to the usb dropout problem (IIRC it was #47? my memory may be wrong here) so I can't say whether the #41 fix is related to your problem.

by buckpansy on 2013-01-16 13:25:02

From the x3 live service manual pdf I found:

Service Objective:

Verify the current installation and/or add C252 (03-10-0478) to stabilize the +3.3V_USB line so

the EEPROM is not corrupted on shut down.

It says Technical Bulletin 041.

Anyway, it's beyond my current scope of understanding. I saw,  "stabilize the +3.3V_USB line so

the EEPROM is not corrupted on shut down".

I'm desparate and tired of this thing crapping out on me, enough that I'm willing to teach myself how to repair electronics. It's already messed up, nobody will fix it and I absolutely refuse to buy a new Line 6 product if the motive to do it is replacing one that junks-out on me due to low quality manufacturing (what it seems like, anyway).

What could be the problem causing random shutoffs? It's not my power supply. The firmware is up to date. There has never been any "incidents" of dropping or spilling.

by silverhead on 2013-01-16 14:33:18

Sometimes it's a simple matter of reinstalling the firmware; have you tried that?

by buckpansy on 2013-01-16 18:29:13

Not yet. Thanks though. I'll try that asap.

by buckpansy on 2013-01-16 21:01:47

Tried it. Didn't work. Thank you for your idea, though. You're alright by me, man.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.