These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT25/50 firmware update: Anyone used a Firewire interface?
by sparkyERTW on 2013-01-18 06:51:12

We've all been reading about the various issues with people using USB-to-MIDI devices to update the firmware on the DT25/50.  I haven't had a chance to do it myself yet (I'm not a big MIDI guy so I don't even have any cables, and I haven't had a chance to grab some yet), but the interface I actually have is a Firewire-based Focusrite Saffire LE that has MIDI in/out.

In theory, Firewire vs. USB shouldn't make a difference; in the end it should all boil down to the MIDI endpoints, regardless of what hardware transport is used. Of course, in theory all of the MIDI-to-USB devices should have been fine...

Edit: Okay, after realizing I could've used smarter search terms, I found one person who used a PreSonus Firestudio with success.  Anybody else?

Re: DT25/50 firmware update: Anyone used a Firewire interface?
by spaceatl on 2013-01-18 09:50:26

No firewire here, but I have updated my DT50 and DT25 using my EMU1821 (PCI) and my UNO USB...

firewire is a much better interface for data streaming applications like midi over USB...The reason is that firewire is a peer to peer architecture. USB is serial interupt...means what it says...the data stream can be interupted...That just doesn't happen in the firewire world...I am not a fan of the acceptable frame loss in the USB specification for streaming mode. The only 100% reliable mode for USB is bulk, but that mode will not work for midi or audio...Can you tell that I dislike USB?

by johanPetter on 2013-01-22 04:17:12

I have a Firewire-based Focusrite Saffire LE and have used that to update the firmware on my DT50 combo with success. As you say firewire vs. USB does not matter as long as the implementation of the midi protocol is correct.

bt Johan

by sparkyERTW on 2013-01-22 09:17:03

Awesome, my exact model.  Thanks, Johan.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.