These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Couple of quick question re controlling via midi.
by animastereo on 2013-01-18 16:48:34

Howdy.

So I get my DT 25 in a week.  Already have an HD 500 and just bought a TC ELECTRONIC Nova System that I pick up later today.  Completely new rig / set up.  Can't wait.

But I'm after a bit of knowledge and an opinion too.

I don't want to run the HD through the amp - I've spoken to a few propel who deal the set up is not as warm this way as the amp alone (do you agree? / can if worms stuff)

So I want to run a midi controller - I currently have a Roland GFC 50 to simply change between amps topologies channels etc etc.  I'm updating to version 2 so to have 8 sounds this way would be great.

So can this be done ie. is it the purpose of how midi is set up for this amp?  Can I select my favourite channel then again at a different volume/EQ for solos?

And can I do this the same way with the Nova System but now have thus patch channel 2 with reverb this one channel 4 with delay etc etc...

Thanks all.  Chomping at the bit to get it.

Re: Couple of quick question re controlling via midi.
by spaceatl on 2013-01-18 18:45:55

Yes, but you probably can't do it without getting something to store the amp patches in...Basically, the amplifier is midi controllable...But NOT programable...So you probably need something like a midi even processor so you can store the CC table that you will need...And it sounds like you are wanting to do this live so you probably need an embedded solution...

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

A">http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm">http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

Alot of work...But this box looks like it could stored and sequence all the CC you would need to store...

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-18 20:44:45

milesargall wrote:

I don't want to run the HD through the amp - I've spoken to a few propel who deal the set up is not as warm this way as the amp alone (do you agree? / can if worms stuff)

as with all these types of claims.... don't believe it til you hear it for yourself... you'll have both pieces no reason not to try....

i tend to find one of 2 reasons that a person makes this claim....

1. they are impossible to please.... and have loaded expectations.

2. they don't want to put in the effort.

i'm sure that they'll be many people disputing my statement above... and others that do exactly like you are trying to do and swear it's a homemade loaf of jesus bread....

but seriously... a totally subjective deal... and if they like it great...that makes it right for them....

doesn't make it right, as in end of discussion right.

by animastereo on 2013-01-18 22:53:59

I've tried it myself with the HD and also personally felt I could hear the difference.

Well, maybe I was wrong just trying it out in a shop - lets hope so because if the amp did the job it's meant to do its an amazing setup.

Impossible to please?  Yeah.  Fair enough.

I went into a shop today with time to kill and tried out a Spider valve through the V30 quaddie.   Sounded amazing.  Thick, full, warm.

I couldn't try out a DT because they didn't have any due to the distributor recently going broke but can't wait to get into it again.

I know more of what I want now.  So actually more fussy but know how to achieve it..... (I think)

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-19 05:34:46

it would not be likely that connecting the 2 in the shop would sound right... both pieces are likely behind on updates, and simply plugging things in doesn't make it happen automatically...

by animastereo on 2013-01-19 06:08:40

Ok.so to give it the best shot - I get my DT 25 head/cab on Friday.

I've just received my nova system and just turning it on without spending any time on it it sounds less digital than the HD.  I ended up spending a couple of hours on both.

But I'll still give it a go.

So what firmware version should I have on the HD300. The DT will have version 2.0.

Appreciate the feedback - I'm not trying to be a hardass.

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-19 06:44:53

milesargall wrote:

Appreciate the feedback - I'm not trying to be a hardass.

me either... i just see alot of people give up the whole integration thing because of the learning curve... and then they go on to try and re-invent the wheel... that and the feedback you have heard could be from any skill level, any firmware version, and other particulars that matter.

as far as what firmware to use... the latest.

by animastereo on 2013-01-19 11:07:21

So what is the latest firmware for the HD 300 - ie. how do I know if I've got it installed already?

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-19 11:27:16

2.01. the hd300 shows this on startup i think

by animastereo on 2013-01-19 13:56:22

Ok.  Thanks.

by animastereo on 2013-01-19 23:02:59

Well it seems I've found my first issue creating me a problem.

I've got Version 1.1. 

What are the improvements on the new version?

by animastereo on 2013-01-20 00:39:30

Just had a look at what the update does - I'm at a mates who actually could help me download the update (I'm running everything off an iPad)

So now have version 2.01 - I'm really keen to see how the mic preamp warms things up.  I've always said - te sounds and tones are incredible - just digital and not warm.

I've got a week away in a hotel with all my gear so have a lot of time to really get into it.

Seeing as I get my DT25 next week I'll spend the time not distracted by it getting to know the pod properly.

Thanks to the help here I relly have learnt a lot more and am slowly eliminating my mistakes.  I really do hope the DT/HD set up works te way it's meant to.   And I don't need a million different sounds - just a couple of really thick fat ones.  With the money we are investing I'm sure that's not too much to ask.....

by animastereo on 2013-01-20 01:18:42

Just wrote a long post.... But didn't go up so now I'll keep it short.

Updated to version 2.01

Hopefully the warm aspect of the mic preamp will fix what I'm whinging about - especially with the warmth aspect.

I've got a week in a hotel with all my gear so will have the time to really dig into it.

I'm really hoping it does the job with the DT its meant to.  Not hard to please - just do what it's advertised to do.....

Fingers crossed.....

by animastereo on 2013-01-20 01:19:49

Insert roll eyes.  It says my first post can't go up - and when I put this one up its there.....

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-20 07:33:05

there's quite a few new amp models to jump into if you're coming from the earlier firmware... obviously much will depend on the kind of music you're trying to make...

but be sure to check out all 3 channels of the SLO model.... my favorite, and it covers alot of turf in those 3 channels.

also you may not know... but those new amp models aren't available on the dial... you have to go through the menus on the screen to get to them.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.