These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Audible glitch when changing patches connected to Hd500 via VDI
by soundcrafterpro on 2013-01-18 19:00:01

I just recently purchased a JTV59 and HD500 combination after having a Variax 500 and POD XTlive. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I am getting an audible glitch / dropout when changing patches via the VDI cable. It is especially noticeable when changing tunings. It's a real problem. I used to be able to switch from Drop D to normal tuning on the fly for different parts of a song and it was smooth as silk using a copied patch that just changed tunings. Not anymore. The glitch is audible on all patch changes while playing as well.  

I kept my original VDI cable but found it unreliable with the new rig. (worked great before) Now, a new Bestronics cable and things are stable but the glitch is still present. The overall rig seem to have worse latency than before too but that's a different discussion.

If this is "normal" then I will have to return the whole rig.

Thoughts?

Re: Audible glitch when changing patches connected to Hd500 via VDI
by mdmayfield on 2013-01-19 14:55:03

How long of a glitch are you talking about? In my experience it's normal to get an extremely short, maybe 50ish millisecond, dropout (almost undetectable), but not more than that.

Are you using tunings that are custom-stored in the Pod HD patch, or calling up tunings stored in the memory of the Variax? That might make a difference - with the one, the Pod needs to send several messages for each string: "Hey Variax, set the 6th string to D with 0 cents offset and 100% mix, the 5th string to A with... etc. etc." but for the other, it just tells the Variax one message: "Hey Variax, pull up the tuning you have stored under Drop D."

by soundcrafterpro on 2013-01-19 16:57:41

I'm just switching to the preset "drop d" and back to "standard" betweent two identical patches. The glitch is also present when the HD is changing models on the JTV like changing to an acoustic model. For a test, I hooked up the guitar using only the analog output and when changing patches there is still a drop out but better. Still not very acceptable if changing patches while a note sustains. When I am on the VDI there is a noticeble click added to the dropout that is not there when I hook up analog.

I've also had the guitar freeze up a few times while on the VDI, stop changing models, go silent, etc. Not very encouraging or confidence inspiring.

by mdmayfield on 2013-01-20 00:16:08

Problems with electrical connectivity with the VDI (whether at one of the jacks, at the jack's connection to the curcuit board, or in the cable) might cause problems like this:

http://line6.com/support/thread/83687

">http://line6.com/support/thread/83687">http://line6.com/support/thread/83687

by soundcrafterpro on 2013-01-20 17:02:19

Thanks. I suspect the connector since the guitar is brand new and my old Variax 500 never had a problem at all.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.