These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Newbie- Pod Farm Amp Volume levels?
by frankieTGMan on 2013-01-20 14:20:50

Hi everyone,

Total newbie, I'm finishing up a project and have used the Pod Farm 2.0 and UX1 to record about 9 songs.I'm happy with most of the tones I was able to get, but one issue I had along the way was how to get the volume levels the same when swithcing presets/amps. I know about the output levels, those are all the way up and master volumes are dimed, but when I'm recording, (I use Reaper DAW) I would often find a cool preset but it was frustratingly drowned out by the rest of the recorded parts as I attempted to do an overdub. Other than lowering all the other levels which can be a pain, is there any other way to remedy this? Probably something very simple..I hope, lol. BTW, you can hear some of my songs- (everything was done through the Pod Farm presets) here: www.frankietgman.com

Would love to get your feedback and hopefully a solution to the volume issue.

Thanks,

Frank

Re: Newbie- Pod Farm Amp Volume levels?
by Triryche on 2013-01-21 06:08:36

Are you using the PF plug-in?

I typically capture the wet and dry in Reaper simultaneously.

The wet is just to remind me the tone I was going for, then I add the Plug-in to the dry track. This way I am not concerned if I have my tone dialed in exactly the way I want.

Also, if you have PF 2.0, you can upgrade to 2.5 for free.

by frankieTGMan on 2013-01-24 20:29:35

Triryche,

Thanks for your response. I'm using 2.55 and openining the program from my desktop to record. Are you saying that you open it within Reaper as a plug- in That's what I do with EZ Drummer but it did not occur to me to do the same with the Pod farm.

Frank

by Triryche on 2013-01-25 05:32:58

I'm assuming you have a Line6 interface like a POD Studio GX, UX1 or UX2?

If so, in POD Farm you can choose what to send to Reaper. You would do this from the Mixer View while running the Stand Alone version you launch from your desktop. So if you are sending the wet to Reaper, you just may not have the level in correct proportion to your project, even though it may sound ok while recording.

One work flow, which ids the one I typically use, is to record to stereo track in Reaper using sends 1 thru 4. One track will be wet, this one is what you hear while running the Stand Alone (ToneDirect™ monitoring) and the other track dry (your weak unprocessed guitar signal). Then within Reaper I add the POD Farm 2 plug-in to the dry track (and usually eventually delete the wet track).

btw, how are you monitoring?

by hulbert on 2013-01-26 03:33:14

Hi,

Agreeing with Triryche about recording the bare audio first and then later set each tracks/parts tones. Its how I do it. It doesn't mean that recording the effected tone is bad - just depends on how you want to do it.

Anyway,  I thought I'd mention one way to get volume up etc. within Pod Farm is by adding the pod farm compressor after everything and just set the threshold to 0 and adjust the gain and save it as a different preset. I haven't done a lot of testing with this method but it is a quick way to add volume to a preset tone. To take the sound down instead, you could put the pod farm volume pedal after everything and pull down the level in it till its what you require.

God bless,

David

by frankieTGMan on 2013-01-26 09:15:10

Thanks David,

I will try that idea. That will probabaly work. I never record the dry signal, just lazy I guess but I am working with limited time and I usually just get a tone I like that inspires me and record it quickly. I will give that a shot though.

Frank

by frankieTGMan on 2013-01-26 09:33:33

Triryche,

Very useful info, thank you! Yes, I have the UX1 Toneport. I have to admit I barely know what I'm doing with the sends in Reaper. I usually just set the tracks to record in stereo and adjust the input volume so it's just tapping the orange or red area on the meter. I don't really get the "record monitoring" option so I just leave it off. I monitor what I'm doing through a pair of self powered monitors (Samson Media One 4a) or my Audio Technica ATH M50 headphones. I really need to read the reaper manual more extensively but I guess I started getting good results and just stuck with it. I know some of my overdriven rhythm parts could've come out better if I were more educated on the routing issue. I will experiment with your suggestions, thank you

Frank

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.