These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

How do you boost your volume for leads?
by eyeguy24 on 2013-01-20 19:13:50

I find that simply using the volume pedal on my HD 500 to increase my volume for solos is a pain because it's inprecise when trying to find the right level going into the solo and coming out of the solo.  I'm wondering what methods others use and how they set up their signal chain.  For example, I am trying to use another screamer in my signal chain to give a clean boost, but it is not really working.  Should it go after or before my screamer pedal that I'm using for overdrive?  Does anybody use EQ?  I'm just real curious as to how others do this.  Thank you.

Re: How do you boost your volume for leads?
by jimsreynolds on 2013-01-21 01:29:51

There are a few methods that you might turn up when you search the forum.  For me:  the go-to solution is a Studio EQ at the end of the signal chain with a boost to the gain only (usually around 3-6dB depending on the patch).  This gives a transparent boost to the level only.  I then assign the Studio EQ to a footswitch,

On your Volume pedal thing:  don't forget that you can set the minimum and maximum levels on the pedal so that rather than going between 0% - 100% you can go between 70% and 100% or whatever.  This means makes it easier to swell between two levels.

by thoro on 2013-01-21 02:08:20

I'm using the second method Jim described, a volume pedal with a range from 75% to 100% – I like the result.

by alfmetal70 on 2013-01-21 04:45:47

I have a preset with 2 more points on the volumen level.

The reason is that I use more gain, volumen, eq and delay on my leads presets, and for me is more easy have a different preset.

Don´t sound so much 3 point more in comparison with the rythm preset, but with the extra mids on the lead preset is almost enough.

Greetings

by BucketJack on 2013-01-21 05:31:56

The drawback of assign to a different channel the solo boost is that you hear the detachment between the patches, when you press the switch  ...

IMHO, the solution of the 'EQ is the best! In particular, I assign EQ, delay and "lead"reverb to the switch F1 (at the same time, F1 turns off the milder reverb and any other effects only for rhythm).

Also, when I use the preamp distortion only, if I need a clean sound I turn off the preamp with another "F".

With this solution I'm able to handle several tracks by using only one patch and just two effect-switches

by alfmetal70 on 2013-01-21 06:26:59

That is very good idea also, I do that with some presets.

In general I prefeer don´r have so much effects in the chain for that I use more presets sometimes, but is something not practical, I know

by eyeguy24 on 2013-01-21 09:08:25

Thank you everyone for your replies.  I have some experimentation to do with all these ideas.  I'll let you know, what I come up with.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.