These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

so after 1.5 years i finally get the Jumbo Fuzz and Color Fuzz.
by wetredbox on 2013-01-21 18:33:32

This was one of the biggest reasons I got the HD500, was to have the classic fuzztones at my feet for the price of one of them.  since I had this thing I always hated the sound I got from them, the fuzz models.  i tried on on Marshall models, with some crunch and saturated tomes and felt like it was a mess.  so i abandoned them and opted for a tube compressor pedal and an overdrive.  actual pedals.  still though using my amp with the HD in 4CM on a crunch setting or early break up setting. 

Now, exploring the HiWatt amp model.  It;s clean but punchy, tonefully rich and harmonic, layers of tome it has through the tube amp.  Ok, so i set it up clean but bally, drive on full, pre model only, no can, then the Jumbo fuzz, turn down the output to about 2 o'clock, the drive to about 5 o'clock.   the HIwatt settings are less presence, less treble, more bass and more than mid on mods. 

damned if the fuzz doesn't come to life here.  I mean finally a rich, sustained true fuzz tone.  took forever.    I'm geting a Hiwatt based module for my MTS rig and I will compare it with the pre model with teh fuzz tones.  I bet they are both heavy duty. 

Re: so after 1.5 years i finally get the Jumbo Fuzz and Color Fuzz.
by meambobbo on 2013-01-22 08:24:26

I've never been a big fuzz guy, but I found to get the few fuzz tones I have that it's essential to get the EQ'ing right and balance distortion between fuzz box and amp.  So often the fuzz's EQ affects the distortion of the fuzz box.  And when you're using amps that use mostly power amp distortion, the amp EQ plays a big part of how the amp distortion sounds.  So sometimes you get completely opposite settings between the two.  Sometimes one sounds better with one dial (usually mids) cranked.  It's a real hill-climbing process.  Turn a dial and if it improves tone keep going until you get the best tone from that dial.  Then do another one.  Once you've gone through them all, do another pass.  Start to get a feel for the interaction of each fuzz and each amp.

Interestingly, I've found my favorite fuzz tone is not from a fuzz effect at all.  I use some EQ in front of an Overdrive distortion to darken the signal beforehand.  Then the Overdrive gives a fuzzier distortion.  It's much more natural-sounding and controllable than the true fuzz options.

I recently dialed in a Zepplin tone, and I had about equal distortion from the fuzz as the amp.  What I found was that I was romanticizing Page's tone more than I should have been.  When I finally felt like I had it dialed in, I didn't really like it.  But I made it while using Zepplin IV as a reference and that's the tone...  I always have this fantasy fuzz tone in my head I can never dial in...

by spaceatl on 2013-01-22 11:32:17

Several years ago, I bought an FZ-5 and realized my Fuzz Fantasy...Not overjoyed with the HD Fuzz models, but they can sorta work...They don't seem to get the +9db or more of clean level the FZ-5 does that will push the snot out of an HD amp mdoel or conventional preamp, so my typical Fuzz-boost for a lead doesn't really work well with the HD fuzz models unless I gang an mid-focus or something to help it with the clean level...

by wetredbox on 2013-01-22 12:30:37

is that FZ-5 totally digtal or is there some analog circuitry in there? 

by wetredbox on 2013-01-22 13:48:52

I always felt that way too aout never being able to dial it in, untill now.  quite happy for now.  I too use an eq for bost

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.