These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Question on running into a solid state amp.
by luiz_morello on 2013-01-21 19:55:33

Hello guys,

I have always used the pod HD 500 through PAs or in line, but now and then I go party with some friends in a shack where we ocasionally play just for fun. It happens that it is very far from home and I don't feel like carrying around the PA everytime I want to have some fun, so there is a little Laney LG35R 10'' that one of my friends doesn't use anymore and we are thinkin' on moving it to that shack for that single purpose. Anyways, my question is: It is a solid state amp and it doesn't have an FX Return, what is the best way of plugin the pod HD 500 in that amp?

Is there any risk on plugin the HD 500 directly into the amp INPUT?

This amp has a cd/mp3 Input with RCA connectors that goes directly into the Power amp section of the amp, but they have 10K Input impedance, is it worth a try using a 1/4'' to RCA adapter?

Sorry for my english and many thanks!

Re: Question on running into a solid state amp.
by CairnsFella on 2013-01-29 23:16:16

I couldnt comment upon your "best" option, but going into the cd/mp3 input with the HD set at line level should work ok.

by BlueViolince on 2013-01-30 11:38:45

Before you try the cd jack, try running the amp clean and just going in through the insturment input, and make sure the 1/4" output switch is set to amp.  If there is enough clean headroom, it should sound okay, but I don't think you need to worry about blowing the amp.  Pod's just a signal processor, not a power amp.  Just start with a low volume and bring it up until it starts sounding crappy.  If all else fails, turn off the amp model in the Pod and use the Laney's drive section. 

by PremiumJones on 2013-01-30 19:03:27

EIther way will work for that purpose if there are no drums involved.

I would probably try the Line in first, since that way you dont have to mess with two sets of EQ.

by JimKidd on 2013-01-31 07:54:56

Set the output to "combo amp front" and use the regular input.

by PremiumJones on 2013-01-31 09:37:19

Any particular reason? I think the Line In is the better option since you avoid double pre-amping.

by JimKidd on 2013-01-31 11:37:32

No particular reason. That's just the way I would try first being there is no FX loop on the amp. That's why the setting is on the POD.

by spaceatl on 2013-01-31 11:57:57

The front setting is often overlooked....It is actually quite useful in some cases...I do not like the default setting, however, you can flatten out the correction and I find the combo front mode very useful when I run to the FX Return of my old flextone III XL...It has a 400 Hz or so bump, that just is not in any of my other amplifers/cabinets...Too throaty...That front mode is pretty decent for making a patch I tweaked on the SV or DT translate...and all I really have to do is change the mode...Sure it's not totally dialed in, but close enough for what I use that amp for...

by CairnsFella on 2013-02-01 01:39:03

jimkidd wrote:

No particular reason. That's just the way I would try first being there is no FX loop on the amp. That's why the setting is on the POD.

Your advice is sound I'm sure, but your response to PremiumJones is a little odd. e.g. one could easily say "thats why there is a "line" output setting.

Anyway, I retract my previous assertion that I may not be able to provide a 'best' suggestion, as given the options now listed, I think the best idea is to try both, and see works best for the OP.

by medievil1 on 2013-02-01 09:44:14

I think the point was that line in/mp3 is a pretty NEW thing.. for me, it's not something I'd want to rely on using.. Combo front and using the amps instrument input will ALWAYS work in any situation, getting experience with it and tweaking the EQ's would be a lot more reliable since ALL amps have it

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.