These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Ok. If midi isn't an option - can you get a 4 button/channel switcher.
by animastereo on 2013-01-22 03:22:53

I'm very aware I'm being a pain in the proverbial backside but.... Well....  I've got my reasons.

Pick up my DT 25 early next week, and want to update it to have the 8 channels.

But if I don't have a pod to run with it is there a footpads that you can get that is more than a 2 channel switcher????

Cheers.

Re: Ok. If midi isn't an option - can you get a 4 button/channel switcher.
by spaceatl on 2013-01-22 05:17:02

doubtful...This is the only footcontroller I know of that seems to come close and still doesn't seem to have enough controllers on a button to totally map all the DT ccs that would comprise a patch...Seems like there are 6 per button...that might be enough, but there would be some compromise doing that...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=740741&is=REG&Q=&A=details">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=740741&is=REG&Q=&A=details">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=740741&is=REG&Q=&A=details

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-22 05:32:58

the amp is a 2 channel amp... there are no 8 channels to be had...

midi i your only option, as you'd likely want to send the knob positions etc...

otherwise it will re-read the front knobs and the settings that sound good for a fender twin will sound like hot boiled dog turd on the uber. etc etc.

the real answer is to get a pod hd with L6LINK.

by JimKidd on 2013-01-22 11:35:40

TheRealZap wrote:

the real answer is to get a pod hd with L6LINK.

Yes.

by theoptimizers on 2013-01-22 15:42:32

What about this:

http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi-foot-controllers/15-fcb4n2-programmable-midi-foot-controller-ver20.html">http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi-foot-controllers/15-fcb4n2-programmable-midi-foot-controller-ver20.html">http://www.peak2005.com/j/midi-foot-controllers/15-fcb4n2-programmable-midi-foot-controller-ver20.html

Seems to have a lot of flexibility.

by TheRealZap on 2013-01-22 17:56:43

maybe so... but from his other threads he seems to have an hd300, and only "heard" that he won't like it since he doesn't have the amp yet....

just seems like he's trying to make things complicated for no reason...

by animastereo on 2013-01-23 14:41:02

Zap, the reason I'm going through this research is because I've heard the amp. And it sounds amazing.

I've heard the pod - and the very best (to my ears) after a lot of tweaking and experimenting inch get it to sound is good - but digital.

I HAVE  heard the pod and amp together - and it was right in between the two.  Better than he digital pod - but still tone sucked the amp.

But - to be fair; I don't have the amp yet and the first thing I'll be doing is putting the hours in with the pod / amp together and experimenting further rather than in a shop.  I hope I'm wrong. The set up is amazing if it works.

So my comments re other people agreeing with me are valid. The guy I'm buying the amp from swears by the set up but when I got him to AB the amp versus amp/pod he agreed the amp alone was warmer.  From the help he's given me so far I gather he has a fair bit of knowledge so was surprised (& a little disappointed) by him agreeing with me.

Fingers crossed I'm blown away by the setup once I dial it in correctly - but I'm planning on the worst case scenario (of having to just use the amp) and doing my research accordingly.  Again - thanks to all; (including yourself) offering input.

by theoptimizers on 2013-01-23 15:09:59

There are sections in the L6 Link Connectivity Guide that indicate you can use Channel B to get the modeled sound straight from the amp.  It does indicate that the HD FX and Reverb will be applied, but you could turn those off.

From the L6 Link Connectivity Guide (HD500 page 3-8):

When the POD HD Amp Model is “Off” (or set to “None”), all respective DT

amps switch to Channel B. The controls do not  operate in tandem between the

POD HD Amp Model & DT amp Channel B. When in Channel B, the DT amp

behaves exactly as it does in stand alone mode, using HD modeling technology for

the preamp and tonestack.

The section for HD300/HD400 seems clearer to me (page 2-6):

DT Series Amp - Channel B

Whenever your POD HD Amp/Preamp Model is “Off,” the DT Series amp is automatically

switched to Channel B. The Amp tone & settings are determined by the amplifier’s

Channel B knob settings only, and the FX are derived from POD HD. You can think of

this Channel B configuration as your POD HD acting as a fully featured multi-FX device,

with the DT amp internally providing all the Preamp + power amp aspects of the sound!

On second thought, I guess this really isn't an option because you'd get only 4 voicing, if the POD HD allowed you to switch between the Channel B voicings.

by animastereo on 2013-01-23 18:28:29

Thanks dude.... I could have sworn that I saw another post saying results were inconclusive but now its gone....  I'll bet  pops up after I post this....

So are you saying that your amp sounds better stand alone than when even if channel b is being used with the pod bypassed? 

I've lookedatthe manual - I don't see the point of this.  Is it to do exactly that - give you one channel where its amp only and channel a gives you the flexibility of the pod??

My god - I'm all over the place.....  I've gotta get the amp so I can start learning properly....!

by theoptimizers on 2013-01-23 20:54:10

Well, there is definitely a considerable difference in volume between Channel B straight in vs. thru the L6 connection. Straight to the amp is louder.

And, I couldn't find a way to switch DT voicings from the POD.  So, this configuration doesn't seem to buy you anything, if you want the DT sound.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.