These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV US - how to know it's not Korean one?
by Kupsik on 2013-01-24 11:55:29

Is there any way be 100% sure guitar I have in hands is US model and not Korean? Do they have special serial number or any other "mark"?

I can buy JTV-69 US for really good price (about 2300 USD) with waranty so I want to be sure it's what it is said it is ;-)

Re: JTV US - how to know it's not Korean one?
by phil_m on 2013-01-24 12:09:08

The US version should say "Made in the USA" (or something like that, I forget the exact wording) on the back of the headstock. The serial numbers are different as well. I want to say they begin with a US, but I don't remember entirely. I will be able to tell you for sure later. Also, there are some finishes that are only available in the US version.

by phil_m on 2013-01-24 19:23:26

I double-checked my JTVUS this evening. There is an oval stamp on the back of the headstock with the serial number (which is just a 6-digit number, no letters), and around the outside of the oval it says, "Handcrafted in the USA".

by Kupsik on 2013-01-24 21:26:32

Thanks for your answer, phil_m. I know about different finishes, but this one is "Candy Apple" so it's same finish as Korean.

I must check my JTV-69 (Korean) but I think it's serial number has different lenght (8-digit number I think).

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to try (and buy) US version!

by Kupsik on 2013-01-26 05:46:09

Ok, it looks like Korean JTVs have totally different serial number, mine starts with W and 9-digit number follows.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.