These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

PODHD500 - DT25 - Noise Gate Question
by STPLE on 2013-01-25 23:15:33

I'm just getting my feet wet with the combination of the PODHD500 and DT25 Head and Cab.  I have never used a noise gate in my life.  I know the basic concept as to what a noise gate does but I don't have any idea how to set it properly.  Can anyone explain what decay and threshold mean and generally how to set them to reduce the noise (buzz) from the amp and effects but not alter the tone too much??  I know I should let my ears be the judge but I would like a good understanding to help guide me.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks ahead of time.

Re: PODHD500 - DT25 - Noise Gate Question
by animastereo on 2013-01-26 02:31:11

Mate.

My 2c....

I love he fact that doing things his way - with a built in noise gate - it makes it easy to eliminate noise.

But before someone posts the correct advice - my only comment is get rid of the noise first. I've found that it's great to have no noise in the quiet bits - but if it's there during the parts that you're paying the noise is there in the background rubbishing your tone.   I'm a huge fan of noise gates.  But I've learnt I rely on them too much.

As I said... My 2c.   The right advice might come from here.....

by Krontab on 2013-01-26 11:07:54

Decay is the amount of time it takes for the gate to close. The threshhold is the amplitude(volume) point that it closes at. People use different settings for different purposes. For general use I would mute the guitar with my hand and adjust the threshhold up to where I no longer hear the hiss or buzz. Then strum a chord and let it sustain until it dies out. Listen carefully to the point it stops sounding. If it stutters on and off then adjust the decay up in value (the stuttering factor is related to the spongy feel Miles was describing). If it dies out to more hiss/humm than you want then adjust it down.

If you are looking for a more staccato cut for highly rhythmic playing use the hard gate.

One last thing. Forgo the gate if you have very little noise as it is really a band aid to make an unbearable situation bareable. In a recording scenario the noise can be eliminated with good editing and so I would not use the gate and manually remove the noise in the recording software (the automation is cool but a human in this case is better).

by STPLE on 2013-01-26 11:23:56

Hey thanks.  Maybe I started with the wrong question.  Do you have any tips in general on how to reduce noise without the noise or hard gate??  Thanks again.

by Krontab on 2013-01-26 11:48:19

High gain tube amps have hiss/hum. Passive single coil pickups have hum. This is normal. To reduce this to the best level you can with out a gate, I have a few suggestions.

1. Shield the inside of the guitar with grounded conductive material or paint

2. Use active elecronics

3. Face a different direction while playing

4. Do not use dimmers or flourescent bulbs on your circut

5. Use power conditioners

6. Fix gound loops http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg

It's easy to get OCD with the noise thing. In most live situations the hum of your amp is trivial to other environmental factors. So, when we play at home it just sounds louder as we are isolated.

by STPLE on 2013-01-27 12:36:37

Thanks.  Wednesday is the first rehersal with the DT25 and the whole band.  I'll see how it goes then before adding a noise gate, etc.  I think you're right.  When you're at home and everything else is quiet that stuff seems worse.  Thanks again.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.