These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Are there any settings involved for palm muting?
by Nipp on 2013-01-27 04:47:49

Thinking about the difficulty to have one setting fit all playing styles.

Any threshold or string fade out timing etc that you can set to your preference?

I read somewhere before that palm muting was an issue with Variax.

Thanks.

Re: Are there any settings involved for palm muting?
by Inerzia on 2013-01-27 05:37:13

And still is. There's nothing you can do at the moment to prevent the warble and lack of definition of palm muting with the variax models, at least with distortion.
If you don't need alternate tunings, just use the magnetic pickups (if it's a tyler variax), and if you want to use any alternate tuning or detuning, just keep in mind that, the more you change the pitch of a string, the more artifacts will appear.

There has been some improvement since the first variaxes, and even along the history of updates on the tylers, but it's still an issue.
Palm muting doesn't sound right, and probably never will. I hope they'll prove me wrong.
I'm waiting for this "HD" update to see how much improvement there is, but, for now, I'll stick to the magnetic pickups for all palm muting.

by Nipp on 2013-01-27 10:38:59

Thanks.

One thing they could do is give the players some settings.

Something global, and then on patch level as well.

It should be something with characteristics of release after attack when palmed, one would guess.

And every player have a different technique, how they attack string, soft/hard plektrum etc.

by phil_m on 2013-01-27 10:40:50

They improved the palm muting on the 1.9 update. I think it's one of those thing that depends greatly on your technique as to whether it bothers you or not. It never bothered me all that much before, but I do notice an improvement with the 1.9 update.

by Inerzia on 2013-01-27 13:04:57

Yes, Phil, in fact it's much better than before, even usable for some styles/sounds, but it still is impossible to get that bite you get with real pickups.
Everybody can hear what I'm talking about just by switching back and forth between mags and models. It makes a lot of difference with almost any distorted/dirty sound.
Other than that, I love my variaxes.

by Octo777 on 2013-02-22 02:21:20

I'm a little bit sad to report that I'm returning my JTV89 purely on the basis that the palm muting wasn't satisfactory for me either, particularly when using the drop tunings, even with the update.

Don't get me wrong, it is a brilliant guitar with a fantastic build quality, it played super nice. I loved the overal quality of the modelled guitars (found myself playing the T-model the most ironically!) however, when playing the metal and rock stuff, it just didn't cut the mustard for me and it's metal that I play the most, hence why I bought the 89.

On stardard/Drop D, it was fine and usable to a certain extent, but anything lower and it looses all definition and impact.

Thankfully I'm still within my 30 day money back period, so I've orderd myself an Ibanez 8 String instead! :-)

I love my Variax acoustic 700 though and I really hope there are plans behind the scenes to release a new one at some point as I would pick up a new Acoustic Variax in a heart beat!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.