These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-89F - One Guitar to Rule Them All?
by drdamski on 2013-01-27 11:50:05

Hi All,

I've been wanting a variax for a while. I've also been needing a decent Double Locking Trem guitar for a while. It's a case of one or the other - don't have the budget for both... but now...

I'm really hoping that the JTV-89F (Korean) is going to be a great guitar (before you get into the Variax stuff): have great tone and tuning stability - this really would kill 2 birds with 1 stone - and you'd almost never need another guitar!

Only question is would it work well with a Tremel-no device to provide the functionality of a fixed bridge guitar, essential for certain styles?

Anyone got any insight on this? I believe they are designed to work well with pretty much any floating trem (I believe Rob Balducci has used them Ibanez locking trems) - I may not get the opportunity to have a look in the back of a JTV-89f unless I go ahead and order it... would be nice to get a feel for this before doing so.

Many thanks for your help!

Re: JTV-89F - One Guitar to Rule Them All?
by Inerzia on 2013-01-27 14:22:43

According to this:
http://www.tremol-no.com/workswith.asp

it's not compatible. I mean, graphtech is not specifically named on that list, but are their tremolos so different from the ones on the list?
If I were you, I would visit their websites and find out

by Krontab on 2013-01-27 16:31:51

I would be supprised if it didn't work as the floyd bridge they are using uses a standard rout for the body cavity. At least what is evident in the pictures.

by drdamski on 2013-01-28 04:18:04

Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I've emailed Tremel-no and will let you know what I hear back.

I'm also gonna ask Line 6 directly - see what they think...

by drdamski on 2013-02-03 15:47:49

Just got a reply from the nice people at Tremel-no:

" For the Floyd Rose trem, you will want the Small Clamp-type (p/n# BP-2007-010).  It will work great with that trem system."

by snhirsch on 2013-02-03 17:51:51

You might want to also take a look at the Super-Vee MagLok.  It worked out so well on the JTV-69 that I'm planning to put one on my Strat and PRS Custom24 as well.  I've always been bugged by floating tremolo "dive" under aggressive bending.  This gadget totally eliminates it while minimally affecting deliberate usage of the bar.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.